Menu

Essay writing/college preparation

What would you use with a dyslexic/dysgraphic, I hate to write, student that gets overwhelmed by just picking a topic.  You only have 1 final year to get him ready for college and writing (grammar is great0 is the weakest link.  This is my final chance to get him ready and not have to pay the CC rates for remedial coursework.  Also, not interested in an online program.

Spectrum, no spectrum? I can't remember, just know that it affects a lot of language stuff with my ds and thinking anything there would complicate the writing. 

When all else fails:

-make sure he can type

-make sure his working memory is up so he can hold his thoughts and get them out before he loses them

-teach him to use mindmapping software like Inspiration to analyze things he reads (anything he likes will do, science articles, military history magazines, anything he's into at all)

-make sure he can comfortably get out a short narrative about anything on his mind

-make sure you argue and support why you feel that way (ie. a 3 paragraph essay, but orally will do! Literally just ARGUE with him.)

If he has that foundation, the college writing labs can get him the rest of the way probably. And if you can get that far 1st semester, then do WWS1 2nd semester.

I'm sure there are other programs and plans. I'm just saying to me, those things are foundational. To get the working memory up, you can do digit spans, metronome work, add distractions, etc. Heathermomster has posted instructions. It's what I was doing with dd when her writing finally got easier, so I'm sold on it. Besides, it's free. :)  

Oh, dyslexic. He has more software he could use like Ginger, TTS, word prediction, blah blah. We haven't gotten there yet. Does he use tech? But even tech doesn't work if it's hard to get your thoughts out. For my ds, I'm going to be taking him through a series of workbooks by Scholastic (Success in Writing) that go through a lot of nitpicky details like what is a complete sentence, is this thing a main idea or a detail, etc. But his brain, with the SLDs plus autism, just really really misses stuff like that. Does your ds get those things? It's not crazy stuff to go back through, but I would THINK he would get there faster with some visual supports, with things that aren't marked for grades 1 and 2, kwim? But the steps are still the same in that sense. Whether we're using inspiration and analyzing a model they find enjoyable or using a worksheet with butterflies and flags, we're still looking at what are details, what are main ideas, etc. 

I definitely wouldn't focus on picking topics. I think SWB's stuff where she's saying give him the material and just let him go through the process of putting it together is fine. With my dd I did a lot of oral arguing and response papers. I just wanted to make sure she could think and support her reasoning. And of course I made sure her tech plan was in order so she could then get her thoughts out. We had a debate prompt book (50 Debate Prompts...) that we really enjoyed. 

Heather, you really like Lost Tools? I went to their booth, and the person couldn't even explain it, lol. Are you suggesting it specifically for their work on invention since she said figuring out what to write about is an issue?

Yes, and include the ANI plus a specific structure taught that for all intents and purposes is the 5 paragraph essay.

Eta: Within maybe 3 lessons, DS could take a random writing prompt and form a thesis.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 1

Yes he has had remediation for dyslexia and is pretty much on adult-level reading and understanding at this point.  I've not done a whole lot of analyzing literature but I do have BJU Lit 9 which I used with my dd her senior year and that was all she needed to prep her for CC English (she scored 100% on the placement exam) but when I think about it I'm not sure that we even did much past the first 2 units.  Hmmm...  I've always wondered if something like the Lightning Lit 8 would suffice.

His biggest hurdle is writing - physically (still can't get the letters smaller when writing) and fights me on any type of correction.  I'd really like to work on some cursive because I think it could make life easier but perhaps that ship has sailed.  He has been working on typing but needs to get faster - got any suggestions for that?

I know many like IEW and I tried that with my oldest (another dyslexic/APD/severe hearing impairment) and it was a flop.  I, personally, couldn't understand it myself.  I really thought the program at the Write Foundation would be a good fit but the early levels required rewriting sentences, combining sentences and silly poetry type work and he just shut down on me during lessons.  I've considered their last level they offer as an option.  I will have to look at Lost Tools of Writing and check that option out.  He really fights me tooth and nail when it comes to writing.  I also need to work on note taking but he just doesn't even write fast enough.

I'd really like another year to help him but that isn't going to happen - he is 18 and I started K a year late,  His dream is the Army and dad would prefer he go in as an officer.  He doesn't test well but he is very sharp analyzing - my dh says he'd make a good intelligence officer.  So hard to know what to do.  I'm hoping to get him up to speed in time to attend community college because I can continue to help finish up his skills  needed to finish up a degree at university levels (and save money).

I've got a pretty good idea of what is needed to succeed at the CC level but his writing skills versus what is needed - an ocean apart.

for dysgraphia:  Typing.   (He probably should be able to write by hand enough to leave a note on refrigerator or counter type thing and to fill in a form that is not online. Or to fill out paperwork at a doctor's office or ER...   Beyond that he may as well type, IMO.  Unless he's gung ho himself i'd say the writing cursive ship has sailed.  But being able to read other people's cursive might be helpful.)   Maybe a dictating program.

for composing: try looking at 5 (? can't recall the number right now) Traits of Writing type program.  author Ruth Cullingham or maybe something like that  perhaps?

for college writing if he cannot come up with a topic, he may be able to get help from you, his dad, a professor, etc. on topic choice, so I'd aim for being able to write something about different topics you assign (could even come from end of chapter questions in history or science texts) and not worry so much about him choosing. Or maybe he could write some simulated "intelligence" reports maybe based on some Elementary episode or something like that.  Or might your dh have an idea for writing that would fit something he might need for desired career in addition to some college essay type practice?

Edited by Pen

For typing, once he knows where all the keys are (maybe he's there now), I would use Sequential Spelling with him, even if he's copying the lists vs. spelling himself. They are pattern-based spelling lessons, and they train motor memory for spelling patterns when you use them for typing practice. Alternatively, you can use their AVKO/Sequential Keyboarding book. Unfortunately, this is all hardcopy, not a computer program. 

The first SS book is the hardest in some ways--it's the less predictable spelling patterns. It's more predictable in the latter books. Generally, you start with a pattern, like oo. You type a bunch of words with one oo sound (look, book, took, crook, etc.) and then other oo sounds (tooth, booth, etc.). The first day starts with the root word, and then subsequent days, it builds on that pattern (looks/books/crooks, looked/booked/crooked, looking/booking, for example). So, you are typing the same things over and over and over with little variations. Very effective.

My kids' typing started going a lot smoother when we started typing the Sequential Spelling lists. Even my younger one can do multiple lists in one session if necessary. It's not been taxing.

• Like 1

Jensen's Format Writing.  And keep the writing process simple.  

I have mine scaffold his assignment completely before writing even one sentence.  We use a quickly sketched 3 box planner for everything - introduction, body, conclusion.  Inside those, bullet lists.   There is no messing around with making sentences lovely, things flowing, interesting adjectives, etc until the *very* end.  Because having to focus on any of that before the thing has a structure that is on a document will shut him down.

Some of the planning is done with a paper and pencil.  But then the whole thing is grown in a Google doc.  The doc starts with bullet lists under capital letter headings.  Gradually the bullets get rearranged, and become sentences.  Then the individual paragraphs are edited.  

I have mine scaffold his assignment completely before writing even one sentence.  We use a quickly sketched 3 box planner for everything - introduction, body, conclusion.  Inside those, bullet lists.   There is no messing around with making sentences lovely, things flowing, interesting adjectives, etc until the *very* end.  Because having to focus on any of that before the thing has a structure that is on a document will shut him down.

Some of the planning is done with a paper and pencil.  But then the whole thing is grown in a Google doc.  The doc starts with bullet lists under capital letter headings.  Gradually the bullets get rearranged, and become sentences.  Then the individual paragraphs are edited.  

I've not used or even seen Jensen, but this description sounds good!

If you do this in Inspiration, it will help you make the mindmap and then it will CONVERT it to outline format and become a word processor if you want. So it will do what you're saying. Very slick. :)

And yes, that is the super hardest stage for my dd and the one that takes the most discipline. It's so hard for her to wrap her brain around everything and get it all organized and get things dumped. Once she does, the writing itself is comparatively easy. But getting ideas dumped, ugly ugly.