Menu

Being verbs vs Linking verbs

I think this is something I should know.  I feel a little silly for asking, but I'm finding it hard to distinguish between being and linking verbs. These are two really different kinds of verbs, right?  I've read a few web sites that indicate they are the same thing.

The best definition for verbs that I've seen is in FLL by Jessie Wise:  "A verb is a word that does and action, shows a state of being, links two words together, or helps another verb."

I've tried to Google my question, but I'm not getting a clear answer.  What I'm reading is the being verbs are linking verbs and vise versa.  So, when is a being verb NOT a linking verb? How would you distinguish between the two of them?

I can write, "I am here." This is a sentence with the being verb "am". "Am" can't be a linking verb in this sentence.

But this leads me to think that the vast majority of being verbs are used as linking verbs the majority of time. 

It is late, and I'm not thinking clearly.  I need to sleep, but this is bothering me.

Can anyone shine a light on this for me?

If you own FLL level 2, lessons 6 & 7 cover state of being and linking verbs.  I think whether a verb is a state of being verb or a helping verb depends on context: what is the word doing in the sentence.  According to Jessie Wise in FLL Lv. 2 "Linking verbs can connect:

*a pronoun and a noun

* two nouns

*a pronouns and an adjective

*a noun and adjective

I think think it depends on the context, the word's job in the sentence. The words "live" and "live" are an example. "Where does Susan live?" vs. "We saw the singer live in concert".

"Are you in your room?" "I am." (state of being.)

"I am tall."  (linking verb)

There's probably more to it than this.  I'm not sure if this is helpful at all. :confused1:

Thank you, Stily!

I agree. I think it does depend on the context.

I have owned FLL.  I have what is left of one book after using the student pages, and I have NO idea where those are now We used this book years ago.  I need to see if that is the book I have

I went to bed thinking how I would explain these verbs.....

Being verbs are forms of the verb "be" and include am, is, are, was, were, be,being, been.

They function in two ways: as being verbs and as linking verbs.

You must determine how the being verb is used in the sentence to tell which one it is.

Examples:

You are in your room. (Being)

I am tall. (Linking)

This seems much better this morning than last night. 

It was confusing not to be able to Google the difference between being and linking verbs. 

I do not understand why I could not get a clear online answer because there is a difference between them.

I need to be able to explain this difference next week.

I think verbs of be are used much more as linking verbs, and that was part of my problem.  

I tried to write a few simple sentences with being verbs last night that turned out to be linking verbs.

It was then that I knew I needed to put it away and go to bed! :)

If anyone else has a better explanation, please chime in.

Being verbs have three functions. They operate alone to show being (such as your sentence "You are in your room."). They operate as linking verbs to link the subject with a predicate nominative or predicate adjective (I am tall). They operate as a helping verb when used with a main verb (You will go to bed at 9:00).

• Like 2

So, when is a being verb NOT a linking verb? How would you distinguish between the two of them?

I think it wouldn't be a linking verb if there's no predicate nominative or predicate adjective after it.

In the example you mentioned, "I am here," am is just a state of being verb. Same thing with, "She is in the garden."  

"I am a nurse."  Am is a linking verb, linking the subject (I) to the predicate nominative (nurse).

"I am happy."  Am is a linking verb, linking the subject (I) to the predicate adjective (happy).

Hm. Now you have me wondering if the other linking verbs (such as taste, feel, smell, sound, look, appear, seem, grow, remain, become)  are considered state of being verbs, or just linking verbs. Will have to look that up tomorrow.

I'm laughing inside- with you.  :)

The night I was going over linking vs being verbs was crazy.  I have taught these to my kids. I know them for goodness sake. But that night, I found myself in circular thought, and I could not resolve my questions.

I've seen the other verbs as linking verbs- not being verbs.  Use your own test; it applies. Some of the other verbs can be action verbs in the right context, tho.

I appreciate your reply. Thanks very much for your help!

I was taught that "being" verbs are simply verbs that are a form of "be" -- which are:  am, are, is, was, and were, and that they are always linking verbs.

But there are other linking verbs too, such as appear, seem, looks, etc., but only in specific circumstances.

So, in "The bunny appeared out of the hat," appeared is not a linking verb because it actually shows an action.

If it doesn't show a specific action, but just generally shows a certain state of being and connects the subject with the remainder of the sentence in a way to make it grammatical, then it's a linking verb.  (And I think it can usually be replaced with a form of "be" and still make sense.)

In "The boy appears tired," it would be a linking verb.

"We are!"

"are" is a state of being verb

"We are happy"

"are" is a linking verb linking the predicate adjective to the subject

"We are teachers"

"are" is a linking verb linking the predicate nomitive to the subject

"We are going shopping"

"are" is a helping verb forming a verb phrase

• 3 years later...

The definition you have is correct. In traditional grammar, there are three types of verbs--action, linking, and state of being.   The latter two both use the verb "to be," but the meaning is different.   Unfortunately, many are being taught that linking verbs and state of being verbs  are the same thing.  This is not true.  Here is how I understand and teach this:

Action verbs show action.

Linking verbs are followed always followed by a noun (or pronoun) that renames the subject.  (predicate nominative)   John is my brother.                                                                                                                               OR                                                                                                                                                                                                                       an adjective.   (predicate adjective)  John is happy.  

Substitue "=" for the verb.  If it makes sense, then it's a linking verb.

State of being verbs  show that the subject "exists." Typically, an adverb phrase follows the state of being verb.   

Harold  is on the beach.     This sentence form is common in English.  

The subject and verb can stand alone, but this usage is rare.     " God is."     " Joan is."

Substitute "exists" for the state of being verb. If it makes sense, it's a state of being verb.  (I just use "x" iwhen identifying the state of being verb.  It's short for exist.