Menu

How long do you allow for grocery shopping?

Ausmumof3

If you schedule your time weekly how long would you allow for library and grocery shopping?

I actually timed it today and it took much longer than I had allowed. I have a half hour one way drive. I'm trying to work out if I'm slow or my schedule was overly optimistic.

Edited to add - specifically for a once a week shop with kids in tow.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

For the large size grocer that is about 10 mins walk down the road, it would take me 20 mins to get the items I need and checkout unless no one is using self-checkout. So about 40 mins in all. My nearest library is next to this grocer and it would take me 10mins to get my library books that are on hold for me and check those out.

For the small size grocer that is a 20 minutes drive away, it would take me 10mins to grab what I need and check out as it is about 1/6 the floor area of the large size grocer. This is during weekday evening hours. It takes longer to checkout on weekends due to more people doing grocery shopping.

For the large size grocer that is about 10 mins walk down the road, it would take me 20 mins to get the items I need and checkout unless no one is using self-checkout. So about 40 mins in all. My nearest library is next to this grocer and it would take me 10mins to get my library books that are on hold for me and check those out.

For the small size grocer that is a 20 minutes drive away, it would take me 10mins to grab what I need and check out as it is about 1/6 the floor area of the large size grocer. This is during weekday evening hours. It takes longer to checkout on weekends due to more people doing grocery shopping.

Wow... I can't imagine shopping in that time! Definitely takes me well longer than that even when I really rush it and be efficient!

• Like 1

Library - I reserve books online, but ds might browse a bit. We don't go to the public library that often. He has books here he has not read. That reminds me I placed a hold on a book.

Grocery store - dh usually does the shopping. He says I slow him down :lol: We live 30-45 min. from the main stores we shop at. If I go and dd isn't fussing or isn't with me, I slow down a bit and scan some shopkick items or browse clearance. My speed has a lot to do with whether or not I know where the items are. I take forever inside Kroger. I don't shop there often enough. I know my nearest WM like the back of my hand, but Sam's Club... eh not as much. Dh usually does the Sam's Club shopping. I can't give a precise answer, but just know that time flies when I'm in the store it seems.

• Like 1

Library - I reserve books online, but ds might browse a bit. We don't go to the public library that often. He has books here he has not read. That reminds me I placed a hold on a book.

Grocery store - dh usually does the shopping. He says I slow him down :lol: We live 30-45 min. from the main stores we shop at. If I go and dd isn't fussing or isn't with me, I slow down a bit and scan some shopkick items or browse clearance. My speed has a lot to do with whether or not I know where the items are. I take forever inside Kroger. I don't shop there often enough. I know my nearest WM like the back of my hand, but Sam's Club... eh not as much. Dh usually does the Sam's Club shopping. I can't give a precise answer, but just know that time flies when I'm in the store it seems.

This could be a part of it - I haven't shopped at this store for a while. I also need to cut the bills for a few weeks so spent more time on price comparisons rather than just buying our favourites.

• Like 1

The kids and I take about 30-45 minutes in the store.  In that time we can do a week's worth of routine shopping at Sams or go to Meijer and buy the stuff that Sams doesn't carry.  Our Meijer's list is always much shorter, but many of the items require comparison shopping and decision making.

Library trips normally last about 45 minutes...60 if the stars align and everyone is in a good mood and <30 if we are mostly just getting in, returning books, grabbing new ones and getting out of dodge.

So, a trip to the grocery store and library, with travel and buckling and bathroom trips, would have us away from the house for about 2.5 hours.

Wendy

• Like 1

I must be the slowest grocery shopper out there.  It takes me a good hour to shop for a week, with or without kids.  I am much less frazzled and relaxed without kids :) , but the time is the same.  

We don't browse much at the library, so that's a 10 minute deal for us.

We could do the library and grocery store, with that travel time in about 2.5-3 hours.  When my kids were preschoolers, that would be a full morning outing for us.  Such a relaxed life then.  I really struggled with giving up the relaxed morning grocery trips when we started homeschooling.  Silly, but true.

Edited by Zinnia
  • Like 1

Drive time is about 20 minutes, and the two stores I visit are about 10 minutes apart. Now, going alone and shopping to feed the boys for a week, it takes me 2 hours. Adding in the library would add another 30-45 minutes, because it adds drive time.

If they were still little and with me, I'd double the time expected (so including the library, I'd expect 4-5 hours). But when they were little I did everything possible to not take them with me, including leaving the house at 5:30 in the morning so I could run my errands before dh left for work.

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 1

Two hours for a weekly grocery trip WITHOUT kids. It's just about a half hour between my front door and the store's front door, after parking, so an hour for shopping, checking out, and loading the car. The kids generally help unload.

Some weeks, my store has really good deals with online ordering. If it'll save me $30 or more, I'll do that. But their system is awful so it will take me well over an hour to place my order, plus the hour to pick it up.  But $30+ is worth the time, when I have it.

I've banned myself from the library, because I can't manage due dates.  :leaving:

• Like 1

45 minutes to an hour in the library - we have an excellent, huge library and I can spend 20 minutes poking through the new book section alone, then I like to roam the stacks.  Grocery - the "big" shopping is a bit over an hour, since I go up and down every aisle to see what is on sale or clearance (when buckwheat kasha went on clearance, to 99 cents per bag down from $3.99 a bad, I wiped the shelf clean).  But I have seven or more different stores within a 5 - 10 minutes drive, and each has its own unique items (or better prices on different staples) so i dip into various grocery stores for short trips a few times a week in addition to my big Meijer's trip.

Anyone else keep several different grocery lists going on the 'fridge, for different stores?  Caputos Italian market for pasta, Romano, ethnic foods (strong on Indian staples they are!) and great sausages and lunch meat.  Butera for all other meats (great butchers, choice-grade cheaper than Jewel "select" grade) and Mexican food products.  Aldi for , well, Aldi stuff.  Trader Joe for wild rice and wine etc.  Jewel/Osco for the pharmacist and kitty litter, Perdue roasting chickens when on sale...most other stuff costs too much compared to Meijers, except Jewel does run good sales on ice cream as a loss leader.  Then Amazon sends me some items cheaper than I can buy at a bricks and mortar store  (Annies pasta, Hansen diet soda, bulk olive oil).  Sam's Club for hubby's Greek yogurt, wheat bread (Aldi good for bread too), and cruising the meat aisle for marked-down items if I go early enough (boneless leg of lamb and extra thick cuts round steak in particular).  The local Asian markets (have two) for bulk Jasmine rice and various bulk spices, sauces, etc. Woodman's is fun but the store is so BIG I can never get up and down each aisle before I poop out so have to be selective.  If you can think of a product, Woodman's has it. 

Got this shopping down to a science

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Library - just picking up holds takes 10 minutes or less, browsing for books takes a minimum of 30 minutes, attending a program adds another 30 minutes to an hour.  The drive time is 10 minutes each direction.

Groceries - when I go alone, if I rush, I can be door to door in an hour.  That would be 40 minutes in the store.  A usual trip takes about an hour and a half.  

• Like 1

I can get in and out in about 20 minutes if no one is with me, I have a very specific list of things I am used to buying, I stay focused, I walk through it in my head ahead of time and I know where they are located in the store.  It can be an hour or longer if I'm not exactly certain of the items I am seeking and/or if I have others in tow.  My kids (teenagers) like to browse a bit.  

It takes way too darn long. This is one reason I am looking at meal services as a serious possibility.

If I could contentedly get everything at one store, it would be an hour for groceries start to finish. But that's not how it ever goes.

When my kids were little, I don't think I ever combined library with groceries. Library was always separate.

• Like 3

I no longer shop with kids, but I find that grocery shopping time depends very much on which store I go to.

I'm through Aldi very quickly, because they have one kind of everything, so the question is only :"do I want cornflakes or not?", and not "which kindof cornflakes?". Also, traffic flow is  pretty much one way, and I know where every item is. Now a nice more upscale store where I want to browse unfamiliar items and ponder - that can take however long I am willing to give it.

• Like 1

It is too variable.  I haven't got one store where I can buy everything.  I buy this at Aldi, that at the "regular" grocery store, and the other at the "nice" grocery store.  If I have a long and varied list that does not contain any fresh items (vegetables, dairy, meat), I will go to Walmart where I swear it takes 2 hours no matter what.  

When my kids were little, we went to the grocery store after other things were done. So, homeschooling got done, then we'd go to the library or other fun place, and then the grocery store as the last place.  Time was limited by how late we got started, how complicated dinner was (when I had to get back to start it), and how long we spent at the library.  I tried not to limit library time too much.   

Sometimes I would do the big grocery shopping on my own in the evening so that I might just need to pick up milk or fresh vegetables when I was out with the kids .  

Anyone else keep several different grocery lists going on the 'fridge, for different stores?  

I used to (two grocery stores, butcher, drug store, sometimes Walmart, and attempted to add Aldi) but it ate up (haha) way too much time.  Nothing is grouped together by me, except the two grocery stores.  Everything else is 20-45 minutes in different directions.  My main grocery store *is* excellent, so now I almost always just stick to what they have available and enjoy saving time and gas money.

<snip>

Anyone else keep several different grocery lists going on the 'fridge, for different stores? 

<snip>

Different lists, not on the 'fridge.   On my phone.  I keep my grocery list on Google Keep, and have it broken out by store:  Costco, Aldi, Trader Joe's, Giant (regional big grocery store chain), etc.  My husband can add things to my list from his phone.  My kids tell me in person or text me when they need something added.

I've left my grocery list on the kitchen table too many times to keep it on paper anymore.  

ETA: Most of our stores are pretty close, and some are on the way to/from other places.  Trader Joe's is near the allergist, so when we go for monthly shots, we go there afterward.  Another store where I go for cold cuts, certain brand of Greek yogurt my husband prefers, and the day-old bread rack (where if I'm lucky, I can find awesome rye bread) is on the way home from the library.  I don't drive all over town the same day to buy at different stores. That would never work.  I'd have to pick one and deal with it.  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

Friday's mornings are crazy here, trying to get grocery shopping done (2 different stores). One store has better deals on dairy and meat the other has better prices on the rest.

My 4yr old comes with me while my husband sleeps. (Shift worker)

I don't know how long were at each place. We just have to be home and put grocery away, just to leave again to drive to story time 30 minutes away.

Time at the library varies. Wednesday is playgroup and we pick up any ordered materials and drop off others. 1-2hours depending. Friday story time about the same. All depends if there were other kids there and if they can stay to play.

I find a big shop takes me about one and a half hours.  Occasionally even 2.  Either of the grocers I go to are pretty close, a 1 min drive or a 7 min drive.  If I go around to different places like the butcher of course it takes longer.  A shorter shop with kids I aim for an hour or they get antsy, and I run out of room in the cart anyway.

Library stops vary widely - it depends a lot on weather I have the kids and I tend to take as much time as I have in any case - if I know what I am there for, I can do it in less than 45 min, including going to the fishmonger in the same building.  Sometimes even less that 1/2 hour if the book is puled and in the hold area.  The library I usually go to is about 10 min from my house.  There is a closer branch where I often drop books, I can normally do that in 10 min.

Edited by Bluegoat

Weekly grocery shopping with the kids and an organized list usually takes about an hour in store. If I'm by myself, I can pare that down to 30-40 minutes. ETA: this requires an organized list. If I haven't sorted through the list or I'm just shopping from a meal plan, double those times.

The library is always planned around story time and playing right now, so it's an event, not an errand. I cross my fingers that it takes as long as possible.

Edited by medawyn

Every other week I go to Walmart, Sprouts, Aldi, and Sam's Club. It takes me 3 to 3 1/2 hrs., including about 45 min. drive time divided between all those places and home. The weeks in between I only go to Walmart and it takes me about 30 to 45 min. in the store then a 32 min. total drive time there and back.

It takes me about an hour including drive time. I try to leave as many of the kids home as I can. I usually take 1 to help out. That's once a week shopping at Aldi's. Round trip drive time is 40 minutes. Now, Kroger's is only 5 minutes away but still takes about an hour. Store is much bigger, more crowded, and they always seem to be restocking so blocking aisles. Then there's the wait because only 1 staffed register is open. I won't use the self-checkout unless I really have to.

II actually timed it today and it took much longer than I had allowed.

Perhaps that is the Well-travelled Road Effect.

If you schedule your time weekly how long would you allow for library and grocery shopping?

I try not to shop weekly and my kids have no interest in coming along, but it takes me about three hours if I stop at three stores, about 2.5 hours if I only stop at two.  Perhaps two hours if I only go to Aldi.  Drive time is similar to yours: about 30 minutes.

• Like 1

My weekly shopping takes 1-1.5 hours depending on how much produce my garden is producing at the time.  Winter shopping takes longer since I have to buy more produce.  But in that time I will hit up my local grocery store, Aldi's and Costco.  I'm not including drive time because we do our shopping after our weekly gym class and we drive past these stores on the way home (and they are all in a 2 block radius) and I always combine the two trips to save time (plus my kids really want to go to Costco). But in reality my drive time is only about 10 minutes each way.

Edited by cjzimmer1

The grocery store is about 10 minutes away. For the shopping and checking out I suppose it's ~1hr.

Library? Depends on what we're there for. To pick up requests? 10 minutes not including ~20min travel time round trip. If the kids need to browse or do some research? Who knows.

I must be the slowest grocery shopper out there. It takes me a good hour to shop for a week, with or without kids. I am much less frazzled and relaxed without kids :) , but the time is the same.

We don't browse much at the library, so that's a 10 minute deal for us.

We could do the library and grocery store, with that travel time in about 2.5-3 hours. When my kids were preschoolers, that would be a full morning outing for us. Such a relaxed life then. I really struggled with giving up the relaxed morning grocery trips when we started homeschooling. Silly, but true.

Me, too. Shopping is an all day event for me. I do stretch it a bit with eating lunch, but I go to multiple stores, but other household needs in addition to food, and scrutinize every purchase. I've never been the type to blithely toss items into the basket and head out the door.

We usually wrap our librarying in with an event, but just picking up and dropping off, less than 10 minutes.

Edited by desertstrawberry5

I do not shop with my kids if I can at all avoid it.  I go on Saturday mornings, when DH can watch them.  From the time I pull out of my driveway, till the time I pull back in, it tends to be about 3 to 4 hours.  First thing I do is hit McDs up the road and get an egg mc muffin and an unsweet tea.  Then I hit the farmers market, which is in the middle of town.  I wander around there however long I feel like.  Sometimes I am only there 5 minutes and don't buy anything.  Other times it can take 20 minutes, it just depends on what vendors are there and what they have.  Also though, parking can be an issue.  The city took half the parking lot that it used to be in, and turned it into a park, with a splash fountain and stage, etc.  Now the market is in the parking lot and it's REALLY nice, but it's a bigger market, with less than half the parking it used to have.  So sometimes just finding a place to park can be an issue. 

Anyway, after that, I head out to the other side of town and hit Kroger and Aldi. Those stores are about 20 minutes from my house if I don't stop at the farm market and they are too expensive to do most of my shopping out there, so I only go when the sales and deals are good enough.  That means most weeks, but sometimes not.  Anyway, after hitting those two (they are next door to each other) I head up to the north side, and hit Meijer, where I do the bulk of my shopping. 

I also tend to try to get any other shopping done that I can.  So, if I need to get some shorts for one of the kids, I will hit Goodwill, which is right near Aldi and Kroger.  Walmart, Dollar Tree, Menards, Best Buy, etc, all those are in the same area as Kroger, so if I have a reason to hit any of those, I will do that too.

It's generally my only kid free four hours every week. 

^^^This except no McDs and make it Sunday and substitute my local halal/middle eastern market for the farmer's market and Winco and Sam's Club for Kroger and Aldi.

Often there is a stop at a produce outlet and Joann's thrown in there too. But I usually aim to leave by 9am and home by 1pm.

I actually timed it today and it took much longer than I had allowed. I have a half hour one way drive. I'm trying to work out if I'm slow or my schedule was overly optimistic.

Edited to add - specifically for a once a week shop with kids in tow.

If I have a good list and I am not exhaused when I start I could do grocery shopping in 45 minutes(that is in store only).  A library trip, weekly grocery shopping and kids in tow, half hour from home?  That is an all day thing and a good plan for an easy supper at the end.

I reserve books at the library and pretty much never browse so I walk in, go to the reserves area, get my books, check out, and leave.  5 minutes max.

Grocery shopping I used to take about an hour.  I'd drop Cameron off at church for his seminary class at 5:55 am, go shopping, and then pick him up about 6:50.  Now I order my groceries online and my husband picks them up on his way home from work.

Edited by Butter

I'm very frugal, but I pay $99/year for online shopping. It's well worth it for not having impulse purchases and the bonuses they offer for free or at very low cost. I basically plan my menus based on their weekly ad, which I can search on from the website. Then place the order when I need it. The store isn't far from the gym, library, etc.  So bits-and-pieces if we're out of something, and then about 20 minutes to plan the menus. I pick up when I'm out, or have DS do it on his way home from work.

Our Wal-Mart does it for free, but Wal-Mart is much further for me, and I'm not fond of their produce and meats. We primarily eat paleo with our gluten and food allergies, so I need a store with good meat and produce.

The library also has web books/recordings and online reserving, but I'm increasingly reading Kindle books and have a trial of Audible that I probably will extend. I'm going to have less reading time this year and think that audio books are the way to go.

How old are your kids? With a bunch of littles everything takes 10x as long. I'd give it at least 1-1.5 hrs in store to be safe if I had to be somewhere after. I'm thinking everyone suddenly, one at a time, has to go to the bathroom, pauses for soothing hurt feelings because someone touched or looked at someone, maybe someone trips... nice old ladies want to talk to you..,

• Like 1

I feel like a light weight compared to the rest of you!  I rarely go to town just to grocery shop.  I try to go when the girls are at something.  DD15 has a meeting tomorrow night, so I will go then.  It takes me about 20 to 30 minutes with a list. It seems I am also in the grocery 3 or 4 times a week getting a few things.  I shop at the same, small town grocery store every week and I know where everything is, which helps.  I go to Sams 3 or 4 times a year, (45 minutes away) but usually when I am in that area already.  I did just go a month ago, and it was a special trip just to Sam's. There is also a bulk grocery store about 45 minutes away, and that is a specific trip since I am never in that area for anything else.  

The library is another story.  I do run to town just to pick up books!  I practically ILL everything, since it is a tiny library, so it can take 2 minutes (15 minutes to get there) to get my books, or 30 depending on how much I stay and talk!

I shop every other weekend....it takes me about 5 hrs. This is 45min drive in and 45 min drive back, plus lunch, and multiple store shopping. Costco and local small grocery store are always shopped...in addition sometimes trader Joe's, target, Walmart, Joann's, or Nordstrom rack if other items are needed. It saves time and gas if I do it this way instead of once a week, but I do not particularly like losing a day to shopping every other week.

A full weekly trip with my kids is a nightmare so I try to avoid it. I'd say 30-45 minutes in store. It's only a 5 minute drive from our house.

I usually do weekly shopping while the kids are in tumbling on Mondays. A few times now I've done the wal mart order online thing and then I pick it up after dropping the kids off, take it home and unload and can even get dinner going or finished before DH gets home with them. It feels like a much better use of my time than only getting through the shopping and arriving home at the same time as them. 

Library depends on the day. It's about a 15 minute drive and we can spend anywhere from 10 minutes to maybe around 40 inside. If I put it on a schedule I will probably schedule an hour and keep us to 30 minutes inside unless it's going over a story hour or activity. 

If I'm alone, I take about 45 min in the grocery store. Lines aren't usually long, I just read the ingredients lists and price compare everything, even if it's something I buy all the time. Also, our grocery store is like walmart - they have clothing and housewares too. So 

With kids? I've been known to take up to 2 hours, but usually closer to an hour to and hour and a half. 

At the library, I usually just have to return books and pick stuff up from the hold shelf, then use self checkout. It's 10 min, unless I bring kids in and let them go pick out books. Then we are there for at least a half hour, if not longer. Usually I just tell them we need to just quickly go in and grab books off the shelf, and they don't usually give me a hard time about that.

I wouldn't go grocery shopping without at least an hour and a half block of time, unless I just really need one or two things quick. 

The library is 5 min from our house, grocery store is 10, in the same direction as the library. 

For full grocery shops, I don't tend to go if I have to worry about getting somewhere else. I'd guess that most of the time, I'm in the store for 45 mins to an hour. Often depends on the line for the deli. And for meat counter.

Groceries: 25 minutes there, 25 minutes back, 45 minutes in store (including checkout and putting items in car) so 95 minutes. But we are moving within 5 minutes of a 24 hour Wegmans (so I can go at night when there are fewer customers) fairly soon so I am expecting to have a lot more time (unless I find myself wandering the aisles and prepared food section for hours in awe of the awesomeness that is Wegmans...).

Library -- depends on whether I take the kids in or not. If I'm just picking up holds, just a couple of minutes, maybe ten if I decide to browse. If I take the kids, there end up being about five "last calls," and we bring home fifty books, ten DVDs, six stickers, a handful of stamped hands, and a partridge in a pear tree, and 30 minutes would be a quick trip. We're about 15 minutes from the library. Most often I just stop on the way home from something else and grab our holds.

We're about 25 minutes from a grocery store. I can spend about 30-45 minutes in Aldi, and then anywhere from 10-30 more minutes in Giant or WalMart to get whatever else we need. I aim to leave around 4 or 5 pm and usually get home around 7 or 8. It also depends on what other errands I need to do; if I need to go to the craft store, dollar store, pet store for crickets, and/or Home Depot (we've been doing remodeling for the last couple of years -- I'm at HD pretty often), it takes longer.

I go grocery shopping when my kids are at activities these days.  Oldest has 2,45 minute appointments a week across the street from Fred Meyer so I go there grab what we need and browse their discount fruit/veg bin which is amazing.  Usually takes about 30 minutes I love this store so much their is never a line longer than 2.  I also run in to cash & carry about once a month to buy a few bulk things we like it is right near our gym and is another quick and easy shop.  

Library - we don't visit as much as when my kids were young.  That would usually run 20-60 minutes without transport. 

Grocery - I am usually in the grocery store for a normal cart pushing trip 20 minutes or so, maybe up to 30 if it's a really heavy shopping day.  Plus transport.  Driving to a grocery story is probably 5-15 minutes depending on where I am going and time of day.  I also have a corner grocery a 5-10 minute walk from my house.