Menu

Hmmm...not a fan

Moxie

I don't mind the first name, but I really prefer for everyone's sake that spellings aren't altered creatively. It's tough on the kid and multiple people they encounter through life - teachers to medical billing!

I don't mind the first name, but I really prefer for everyone's sake that spellings aren't altered creatively. It's tough on the kid and multiple people they encounter through life - teachers to medical billing!

I agree with this. I don't mind the first name at all, but don't like the altered spelling of the 2nd name.

• Like 5

Not loving Eclipse but definitely don't like the spelling of the middle name.

If I had to name to honor the eclipse then maybe Soleil, Luna, Celeste, Stella...

Boys would be tougher. I did know a guy named Orion growing up. Always thought it was kind of cool.

• Like 9

It seems like name they intend for the middle name to be used. I hate creative spellings. People seem to think it makes their child unique. Spelling is not what makes a child unique. It does put the child in a cycle of endlessly spelling her name and worse--having to correct spelling on all kinds of legal documents you never thought about. So if you want a good chunk of your child's time devoted to such a wasted pursuit then give her a creatively spelled name.

• Like 7

I had a great-niece born during the eclipse yesterday. I tried to talk my niece (the mama) into naming her Luna, but they wouldn't go for it. LOL! So Sadie Elizabeth it is. â¤

Edited by Kinsa

I think I would name an eclipse baby Claire or Clara for the connection to light.

Unless they were a boy.

Clair is the masculine form :D but I have only ever known very old men with that name. Seems like old fashioned girls names are popular, but I don't hear it often for boys.

Espilce. I almost like the name better spelled backwards ;) I'd be shocked if nobody used it.

Edited by Rebel Yell
  • Like 1

A baby born at Greenville Memorial Hospital to parents Freedom and Michael Eubanks was named Eclipse Alizebeth in honor of the special day.

I texted my daughter during the eclipse and said, "I bet, somewhere, there is a baby being born who will be given the name Eclipse." See? My predictive powers are amazing. Now, off to buy my Powerball ticket...

• Like 12

Not loving Eclipse but definitely don't like the spelling of the middle name.

If I had to name to honor the eclipse then maybe Soleil, Luna, Celeste, Stella...

Boys would be tougher. I did know a guy named Orion growing up. Always thought it was kind of cool.

OOOh. Celeste is pretty. And Stella. Luna... People would think was a Harry Potter homage.

The name is okay. Though my issue is that alternative spellings are a pain in the rear, and that likely as soon as school mates hear her name AND figure out she was born during an eclipse, she is going to suffer some serious nastiness over it because kids are brutal!

I would have gone for Celeste for a girl - if inclined to name for the event, oh wait NOT, LOL - or Lyra.

According to the article I saw, her parents plan to call her "Clipsey."

I admit: I actually find that storybook cute. But I do kind of feel like the name Eclipse itself-- as a first, not a middle name-- is kind of like that tattoo that seems really deep and You at the time, but then you're just stuck with years later when it no longer seems quite so defining.

• Like 1

According to the article I saw, her parents plan to call her "Clipsey."

I admit: I actually find that storybook cute. But I do kind of feel like the name Eclipse itself-- as a first, not a middle name-- is kind of like that tattoo that seems really deep and You at the time, but then you're just stuck with years later when it no longer seems quite so defining.

:iagree: I actually saw in an article that they were going to name the baby Violet.  I love that name.  And it works as a professional name too.  Dr. Violet Eubanks.  President Violet Eubanks.  Chief Justice Violet Eubanks.   Having a name that carries a child well to adulthood is important to me.  But I'm crazy like that.  :lol: 

I struggle with President Eclipse Eubanks. 

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

I was thinking yesterday that Soleil Moon would be the perfect name for an eclipse baby.

(Can you tell I watched a lot of Punky Brewster in the 80s?) ;)

My daughter and I did a Punky Brewster marathon over the summer and had the best time! Even my twin boys loved it. Sure there are a few questionable things that I had forgotten existed in the show (like how they fat shamed Punky ' s cousin...eesh) but by and large such a great show :) Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I kind of like the name, but two of my kids have "made-up" names, so there you go. I don't name a child based on what's happening in the world at the moment though, so I wouldn't have picked it since she was born on Eclipse day. I might have picked it at a different time though. I have a nephew with a creatively spelled name, and it hasn't held him back at all. He likes it in that he was the only one of many in school with that first name but with that spelling. My dd has a "misspelling" of a popular girls' name as her middle name - it's actually the male form of the name, but it's not used for males hardly at all anymore. It was my grandfather's name, a form of my father's name, and it's my brother's middle name.

If I'd had a baby yesterday, I wouldn't have even been thinking about the eclipse. I mean, who cares about an eclipse when you just had a baby? A new baby is a much bigger deal than an eclipse!

I think the name is silly and I hate the intentional misspelling of the middle name, too. It seems like the parents are trying so hard to be cool that they forgot that their child has to actually live with that name.

• Like 5

What about Umbra for a baby girl born during an eclipse.  It's certainly unusual, but it sounds a bit more name-like to me than Eclipse.  For a boy I would probably go with Apollo.

Wendy

I think you are putting a lot more thought into this than Freedom did. 

I had a friend who was named Windy because the desert winds were blowing the day she was born.

Another friend was named Wendy after the song Windy, because her parents misheard it when it played on the radio on the way to the hospital and they didn't check. 

Some people just don't put that much time into these things. 

• Like 1