Menu

Language Arts and Dyslexia

We are currently using Barton level 7 for reading instruction but though I love the underlining who, what, etc. phrases I feel that it is time to add some other stuff that hopefully doesn't use Barton stories. We will continue with Barton but I'm thinking of some other options to add in. Has anyone had any success with the narration parts of Writing with Ease? I'm thinking the narrations might be short enough to work with while not completely losing him like a regular book. I just can't teach IEW. I tried! ugh ugh ugh I was thinking of trying WWE for this year and then maybe moving onto Writing with Skill when he is finished with that. He should be getting close to the end of Barton by then.  

Reading comprehension and writing skills is what I'm focused on presently. Even though his vocabulary is good from audio books and read alouds he struggles with longer things (working memory) or complicated sentences. I would love some exercises helping him break things up and working through them. I don't mind working with him another 20 minutes but I really don't want to spend two hours prepping to do it.  Preferably something that is fairly simple to implement because I'm already doing a lot with him and have 3 other children. 

Edited by frogger

My DS is on level six of Barton and we have used the narrations for WWE1 and WWE2 the last two years. It works great for him and I feel like we are getting some of those composition skills in place. I plan to continue the narration with WWE3 this year.

My DD13 will be taking Expository Writing 2 online at WTMA this year. She took Expository 1 last year and it was perfectly paced to build composition skills for her. Her dyslexia is less apparent in her reading but very evident in her writing and spelling. She was especially reluctant when it came to expository writing (she's a pretty creative/artistic type, so she likes creative writing). She gained so much confidence using WWS in the class last year that she went from complaining about a one paragraph assignment at the beginning of the year to confidently writing a 7 page final paper. It was quite a turnabout. 

I honestly think the online class worked better for her than my trying to do WWS at home. She had a wonderful teacher who pretty much followed the WWS syllabus, but they did a good amount of the week's work during the class sessions, and had just one writing assignment for homework each week. So, this approach has worked well for us. 

HTH

• Like 1

I honestly think the online class worked better for her than my trying to do WWS at home. She had a wonderful teacher who pretty much followed the WWS syllabus, but they did a good amount of the week's work during the class sessions, and had just one writing assignment for homework each week. So, this approach has worked well for us.

HTH

Thank you so much for the response about WWE. I'm also happily surprised by the online class recommendation. I really wouldn't have considered a WTM class in writing for my son with dyslexia. Not that we are ready just yet but that is good to hear.

Susan Barton recommends Winston Grammar if you want some more in depth grammar instruction. She also recommends IEW for writing because it works well with Barton. My dyslexic kid has taken 2 years of writing with WTMA and this year is taking an online class with IEW. The online option has been a good fit for us but not because of dyslexia, mostly because it reduces the "ohh mom! can I just turn this in later.." aspect of our relationship. Grades seem less subjective when a stranger is handing them out. 

• Like 1

FWIW, IEW paired beautifully with Barton here (although I realize you said that you don't like IEW I felt I should mention that a local class or on-line class in IEW might work).  We did it collaboratively on a dry erase board with a friend.  Lots of laughter and brainstorming.

We are doing Fix-It Grammar as well.  Also a really good fit with Barton.

• Like 1