Menu

S/O from Sunday school thread-do you attend a FAMILY Sunday school?

HappyGrace

We'd really like to get away from age-segregated Sunday school, and we'd even be willing to start one in our church.

If you attend a family Sunday school, what curriculum do they use that is working? Is there a homeschool Bible curriculum that you think would work?

Thanks!

(I made this specific to curriculum on this board, but cross-posted to the General board about family Sunday school in general!)

My kids and those of several like-minded families actually sit in adult Sunday School. We pulled our kids out several years ago to do this (and cleared it ahead of time), and then several families came from other areas who had practiced that where they lived before. So now the adult Sunday Class has 8 eight kids and approximately 25 adults. The other kids go to Sunday School, and thankfully everyone repects each others' choices.

The lessons are done by an elder who picks topics and does them from scratch. I have noticed more of an emphasis on all ages since we pulled ours from Sunday school. The teachers have the kids read the passages and sometimes ask them questions. My kids love the adult class :001_smile:.

We attend a family integrated church. The children are with us the entire time. We have newborns, toddlers, children, teens, parents, Grandparents all together.

We all listen to the sermon. Then we take a break, eat snack, fellowship, etc... Then there is a short lesson just for the children. One lady does songs with sign language and tells them a story using a flannel board. Again, we are all in there (and you should see how much the teenagers enjoy the flannel!:)) Then we all share prayer requests and pray together or sometimes our pastor leads us through a lesson on how to study the Bible.

I guess we don't really use a "curriculum" but maybe something we do will give you an idea or 2 that you can use!:)

Yes!

We have a family-integrated Sunday School within our large, 4000 member PCA church. It is a huge, huge blessing. We have over 40 families, and most Sundays number upwards of 130 people in the class - from nursing babies to elderly.

We don't use a set "curriculum" - each quarter, a different man from the church (not necessarily from our class) teaches. The focus is to teach the material - some teachers provide discussion questions for fathers to use at home, some provide worksheets for the kids, but generally the children are expected to listen at whatever level they are capable. Often, the teachers will direct some questions just for the 12-and-under crowd.

If you'd like more specifics, I can put you in touch with a friend of ours who has been instrumental in the class - pm me if you'd like.

We attend a family Sunday School that is currently using a series about Providence from John Piper's organization (Desiring God). It's designed to be K-8, although we have a few toddlers in there. The toddlers mostly color and listen in. An elder and his wife teach it each week. It's great to see the older couples reaching out to the children.

Here's what we are using.

Edited by WTMCassandra