Menu

S/O Trader Joe's: What are their staples like?

ILiveInFlipFlops

We're getting a TJ's about 5 minutes away from us in October, and there's a lot of excitement locally. The neighboring, more affluent town has been lobbying for one for years, and instead they got a big, new Walmart (hee hee!!!). I would have preferred a Whole Foods or Wegmans, but I'll be happy to have the TJ's. However, my last experience with one was 5-6 years ago, and I clearly remember being very disappointed with their produce, which was the main reason I went in there at the time. The selection was poor, and the vast majority of what was there was conventionally grown. I left with nothing. 

Of my friends who shop there now, I seem to mainly hear about TJ's convenience and pre-packaged stuff. I haven't been there in a long time, since the TJ's closest to me is across the highway from a Whole Foods, and I know I can get everything I need at WF. 

Can anyone share their experiences with things like produce, dairy, seafood, meat, etc. at TJ's? Those are the main things I shop for, really. Should I have low expectations going in, or is TJ's good at those things too?

Thanks!

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

My experience at the one near me: 

Produce: excellent. They do have more conventionally grown than organic, but I go there to buy organic. 

Prices for organic: Excellent

I have found the one thing I need to be careful of is the packaged organic peppers. They need to be cut into same day as they are prone to fungus. 

Dairy: I just buy yogurt and sometimes butter. Much better prices and I buy organic. 

Meat: Prices are good. I don't buy a lot. I found that their ground turkey tended to expire more quickly than ground turkey at my local organic place (where produce prices are sky high). It would be fine used the day of purchase or the next day. 

Nuts: The best

Soup: Many of their boxed soups are really good. Basic list of ingredients and a low-sodium version. 

• Like 1

I get a lot of my groceries there. My shopping list is kind of weird because we grow a lot of veggies to freeze and get bulk frozen beef and pork 1-2 times/year from local farmers. I get fruit there - they have organic and regular. You sometimes have to keep an eye on pre-cut stuff like shredded cabbage for slaw because it doesn't hold a long time. My kids have eaten a lot of their yogurt over the years, and their prices on butter are good. We get milk there and also chicken (they have organic). Some of their breads don't have a lot of preservatives so they don't last long once you get home. I have a kid who can't have food dyes, and I love that I can get a lot of normal-tasting kid junk that doesn't have dyes. They have an M&M and also some of those jellied 'orange slice' candies and gummy bears that are dyed with fruit juices but don't taste weird. With their packaged things, like chips or frozen prepared foods, we generally either love or hate a particular item. I keep a frozen pizza or taquitos and a box of samosas on hand for emergencies. I get a lot of nuts and one of my kids likes their freeze-dried fruit for a healthy travel snack. I can usually get everything that I need for a week except mayo, where I have brand loyalty. If I need a lot of baking supplies I usually go to a regular store or Sam's to buy in bulk.

I have never been able to do *all* my shopping at TJ but I have items I *only* buy there so I still shop there.

Ime, the produce quality has steadily improved. Ours has a lot of organic items. I appreciate that they don't waste space trying to have every produce item at all times. Ime, for example, if they have blueberries it is because they are in season, excellent and a good price.

It's a supplemental store for me, but I shop all of their departments except the produce and vitamins. The selection is small and other than grabbing bananas I just skip their produce. It might have been impressive once, but now even dinky grocery stores can have a decent produce selection. Their draw is much lower prices than whole foods or Wegman's and prepackaged food without scary ingredients. Pastas and nuts are less than anywhere else. The cheese selection is great. Their cereals are nice. I get all my Irish breakfast tea there for a quarter of the cost of twinings. Their freezer selection is great to have on hand for when you don't feel like real cooking. I like their Mexican selections and their red pasta sauces. Their have canned clams and tuna is good. Their coffee selection is decent and you can grind it there (but I don't actually drink coffee sooo . . . ) It's a good source for tea and spices. I buy my conditioner (WAY cheaper than Deva stuff), lotion, and hand soap there. Yesterday I picked up mashed potatoes in the freezer section, you know . . . in case I have a potato emergency and no will to peel.

For me it's a one or two bag stop, but I do my main shopping at the Weiss that I can walk to.

Produce: Excellent quality and prices.  We love their broccolini, bagged butter lettuce, fruit of all kinds, Persian cucumbers, etc.  Not quite produce, but their guacamole is wonderful as is their hummus.

Meat: We love their frozen grass fed beef, 1#, for $5.99.  Usually for seafood, we buy at Costco because we eat so much.

Dairy: Great price on butter, cage free eggs, and organic milk.  Cheaper than anyplace else and good quality AFAIK.

Other staples: Good place to buy bread, pita bread, chips, etc.  Great baking/spice aisle.  We also like their spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, refrigerated pizza dough, etc.

I always buy their organic romaine hearts, organic milk, peanut butter, jelly, bread, instant oatmeal, frozen riced cauliflower, and cheeses. I like a lot of their convenience foods, too, but I try not to buy that too often. The dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt are amazing.

It's a supplemental store for me too. I typically don't get produce, dairy, or meat there. Here is my list of things I prefer to get at TJ's:

olive oil

organic round tortilla chips (I buy 2 or 3 bags at a time and when I'm out it's time for another TJ's run)

chipotle black bean dip and double-roasted tomato salsa to go with the chips

apple sauce (I think it just tastes better out of a glass jar instead of the plastic grocery store jars)

no-salt added crushed tomatoes

no-salt added marinara sauce

baking powder and baking soda (they have baking soda in the same round can that baking powder typically comes in and it is so much easier to use that way)

frozen hashbrowns are a staple for disabled dd

frozen orange chicken

frozen chicken potstickers

frozen cha siu baos

pizza dough (we like plain. Very cheap. I keep a couple in the freezer in a ziploc freezer bag just to have on hand)

I would say that those are our very regular staples, but occasionally we'll also get cashews, pepperoni, a tub of chocolate chips cookies, etc.

I buy a lot of my stuff there. Off the top of my head, things I focus on (I mostly focus on organics, but not 100%)

- bagged salads

- bagged kale (I freeze it immediately and use in smoothies)

- fruit depending on how it looks

- yellow onions

- garlic

- potatoes

- cheeses - american slices, whole milk mozzerella for pizza, parmigiana, etc.

- meats: chicken breasts, chicken legs, some "deli" stuff that's organic or nitrite/nitrate free, hot dogs

- flour, sugars, spices

- chocolate chips

- honey

- peanut butter

- whole wheat pasta

- chicken broth

- thai curry sauce

- teas and coffee beans

- olive oil, coconut oil, coconut oil spray

- breads: sourdough sandwich, wheat sandwich, tortillas, some of the artisan fresh breads

- dairy section: milk, honey greek yogurt, sour cream, whipping cream, etc.

- eggs

- frozen section: pizza (surprisingly good), orange chicken, potstickers, fish sticks, naan bread, blueberries, chocolate croissants & regular croissants

- cereals, various, plus they have a great instant flax oatmeal

- vanilla ice cream (I have yet to find a better one)

- bars, eg cliff, lara, etc.

- shampoos, conditioners, body wash

- vitamins

- clothing detergent pods

- dishwash detergent

I have to say I love their sample section. Usually gives me ideas that I wouldn't have tried otherwise. And they sometimes pair things in interesting ways.

Edited by tammyw

I have separate shopping lists for our local shop, Whole Foods, and TJ's.

Our TJ's has excellent produce--I'd say the majority is organic, but maybe that's what I tend to buy.

Nuts--it's the only place I buy nuts. When they have them, we love their coffee almonds. Mmmmm!! Their trail mixes and dried fruits are also excellent and inexpensive.

Almond butter and peanut butter--again, they have the best prices and I know I don't have to check for hidden ingredients.

Frozen stuff--I always keep bags of their fire roasted peppers and onions in my freezer. We also like their frozen Asian fried rice, gyoza, and egg rolls for lazy nights.

I have specific items I always buy there. Some are ethnic foods at excellent prices. It's the only place where I can find extra aged Manchego cheese, yum! I also buy their Spanish chorizo and ham deli packs. Some flavored nuts, Indian samosas, Spanish style gherkins, British crumpets. There are items I sometimes buy there, like yoghurt, butter, cream, and very reasonably priced cookies and desserts. If I didn't have a Costco membership I would also buy plain nuts, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I usually get my produce at Sprouts or other supermarkets, but I will buy there occasionally and their quality is good.

ETA I also buy from their frozen section. They have a good selection and good quality.

Edited by Mabelen

Oh gosh!  I forgot the frozen section in my original post above: 

Great buys in the frozen section: 

Wild caught salmon is cheaper than anywhere else

Cod pieces are $3.99/lb, cheapest fish around. I serve them in fish tacos. 

I buy lots of frozen wild blueberries (not organic, but wild, so hey) and the price is excellent. The frozen raspberries are good too. 

I like their frozen chopped organic spinach (or they also have one that is just no pesticides), green beans, peas, pearl onions, broccoli, & brussel sprouts.. I've yet to be disappointed in their frozen fruit or veges and it almost always beats Walmart's price. 

Premade turkey burgers are $2.99 /lb which beats the price of plain ground turkey around here. 

DH likes their prepared, frozen items if he is cooking.  My mom is crazy about any cookie that they make.  Things I tend to by at Trader Joe's are:

milk, yogurt, eggs, butter, cheese (especially mozarella)

nuts

almond flour

chocolate chips

olive oil

some produce (varies a lot by what is in season)

bread

wine

herb plants and cut flowers

chips and crackers (I don't buy these often, but I have like all of TJs that I have tried, better than traditional brands)

dark chocolate bars 

Haven't bought too much, but I have been pleased with the quality of all of the meat I have purchased there.

I'll be honest...I shop TJs for the junk food  :leaving:

The parsnip chips are addictive and lower carb but not low cal or healthy. 

The triple ginger cookies

All the pumpkin spice stuff in the fall - especially the little mini pumpkin spice ice cream sandwiches

and best of all (and seasonal), the gingerbread bars...they are so yummy and not too sweet. My DS4 and I LOVE them, and plan to stock up this Christmas season. 

Oh, and they have Cabot's whipped cream in a can, that actually tastes like real whipped cream. 

• Like 1

I rarely shop there, but was at a more distant campus for a faculty seminar. So I went by the international grocery and Trader Joe's, which are on the way home and are close together.

DD and I are gluten free, and I have to say that I was underwhelmed by what they had. DD had read about various products on forums, and they no longer carry many of them.

I did get some things that I'm sure we'll enjoy, but it wouldn't be worth a special trip. Frankly one of our local grocery stores is better, and if I go 20 minutes away, they have ROWS of gluten-free items.

The international grocery was a good stop. They had good prices on gluten-free soy sauce and several other things we wanted.

The parsnip chips are addictive and lower carb but not low cal or healthy. 

WHAT!!! You still have these!  Ours stopped carrying them a few years ago (and it was my main reason for shopping there because I love parsnips) because hey told me they couldn't source them anymore.  I was even there last week and out of habit searched for my beloved parsnips chips and nope we still don't have them.

They have bagged Butter Lettuce.  It is really good.  

Cheese is good

Organic milk is a good price. 

Grass fed beef hot dogs are amazing.    

Pretzel bagels, because pretzel + bagels. 

I shop their often because I work above one, so I'll go there for lunch.  So, for example, even though their chips aren't better than elsewhere, they are convenient.   

WHAT!!! You still have these!  Ours stopped carrying them a few years ago (and it was my main reason for shopping there because I love parsnips) because hey told me they couldn't source them anymore.  I was even there last week and out of habit searched for my beloved parsnips chips and nope we still don't have them.

I haven't been in a few months, but we did :) I'll check next time I go. 

• Like 1

Stopped at TJ on my way home tonight because I had to pick up some of their tea tree oil face wash. Also picked up some orange chicken, chocolate chips, dark chocolate covered raisins, and edamame.

I miss the graverstein applesauce. It was the best. I always look in the hopes it will be back.