Menu

If you hate wearing closed shoes and can't stand socks, what do you wear during the winter?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I hate hate hate wearing socks. Until recently, I was comfortable wearing shoes like loafers without socks, but in the last year or so, I've become increasingly irritated by having hot, sweaty feet. Last winter I wore my Birks all winter (and had to answer a million shocked questions about it), but that wasn't an ideal solution. So what do people who prefer open shoes wear in the winter? 

Thanks!

I bought a pair of Jellypop brand flats a few weeks ago. They are so comfortable. They are lined with what feels like knit. They are like wearing a tshirt on your feet. No sweaty feet the few times I've worn them so far. I bought them at Shoe Station, which has stores in FL, maybe one is near you.

I realize they don't cover the closed toe issue, but they were acceptable to this Birkenstock lover.

• Like 1

I bought a pair of Jellypop brand flats a few weeks ago. They are so comfortable. They are lined with what feels like knit. They are like wearing a tshirt on your feet. No sweaty feet the few times I've worn them so far. I bought them at Shoe Station, which has stores in FL, maybe one is near you.

I realize they don't cover the closed toe issue, but they were acceptable to this Birkenstock lover.

Thanks, they are cute! I see some on Amazon, and I'll see if I can find some locally to try them out.

I legit wear flips all year. God bless Texas.

Seriously. The rest of the irony is that I also don't tolerate hot weather at all. I would be supremely happy with constant 70ish degree temps, but my husband, Mr. Tropical, would absolutely not be. 

Allbirds are supposed to be 'breathable' (though I don't own a pair)

Ohhhh, you are my new best friend. Those sound like a great option! I never thought about wool!

http://www.earthbrands.com/item/earth-shoes-bellwether-leather-ballet-flat/24440/Z33

These are kind of minimalistish.  They are cushy with some arch support, very flexible, and have wide toe boxes, plus they last for a long time.  I wear them with nylons, barefoot, and with thin socks.  

Or get some non-waterproof trail running shoes--Brooks Cascadia are pretty low drop if you care about that.  They are cushy and they breathe a bit, as long as you avoid the waterproof ones.

• Like 1

I'm another person who hates socks, but the idea of shoes lined with fabric, or made of fabric, is not appealing to me.  Wouldn't it feel like wearing socks, and unwashed socks at that?  

I wears sandals, and then when I can't any more, I wear something like this: (I can't find the exact pair)

http://www.comfortoneshoes.com/Rieker-Celia-51-Black-_p_13239.html

The leather is thin, and the fit is loose, so my feet can move around.  Also, the arch support is good.

However, Iliveinflipflops and I must have different foot issues, because anything between my toes (e.g. flip flops), and anything with a flat sole is on my "no" list.  

• Like 1

OK, I just bought a pair of these from Amazon to try out (free shipping and returns, so no risk). They're indoor/outdoor, so the soles should be nice and durable. 

https://www.giesswein-usa.com/product/womens/lodge-shoe/veitsch

http://www.earthbrands.com/item/earth-shoes-bellwether-leather-ballet-flat/24440/Z33

These are kind of minimalistish.  They are cushy with some arch support, very flexible, and have wide toe boxes, plus they last for a long time.  I wear them with nylons, barefoot, and with thin socks.  

Or get some non-waterproof trail running shoes--Brooks Cascadia are pretty low drop if you care about that.  They are cushy and they breathe a bit, as long as you avoid the waterproof ones.

Those are cute! I'll dig into that more, thanks.

Lems.

Oh, I've seen those before and forgot about them. Do you find them particularly breathable? I love the long line.

I'm another person who hates socks, but the idea of shoes lined with fabric, or made of fabric, is not appealing to me.  Wouldn't it feel like wearing socks, and unwashed socks at that?  

I wears sandals, and then when I can't any more, I wear something like this: (I can't find the exact pair)

http://www.comfortoneshoes.com/Rieker-Celia-51-Black-_p_13239.html

The leather is thin, and the fit is loose, so my feet can move around.  Also, the arch support is good.

However, Iliveinflipflops and I must have different foot issues, because anything between my toes (e.g. flip flops), and anything with a flat sole is on my "no" list.  

I don't mind the fabric so much as long as my feet can move around. Especially with something like slides or slip-ons, I'll be able to slip my feet in and out easily to control the temp/moisture level. With socks, it's more the feeling that my feet are encased in heat and I can't move them freely! It's making me shudder internally just thinking about it. I used to be able to wear leather shoes, but they bother me more and more now. 

The between my toes part doesn't bother me at all, but I do need more than flat soles these days. I have flip flops from Eddie Bauer that are seriously some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned:

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/womens-eddie-bauer-break-point-flip-flop/92006134

The soles are the perfect combination of molded and supportive yet comfortably cushy. I see that some of the colors are on clearance and there's a 40% off code at the moment. I should probably stock up. Of course I found shoes that I love, so it's likely that they'll disappear soon, never to be seen again  :glare:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I wear flip flops year round. Currently live in MD, but I've lived in NY and worn them all winter. I do keep a pair of boots when I have to do serious outside work in the winter, but if I'm just doing daily stuff I'll wear flip flops in the cold or rain or snow. 

We went through the huge blizzard in 2010 here and I went to the hospital to give birth in flip flops. The nurses were highly amused. 

• Like 3

Ug boots... If you get proper wool ones they shouldn't be stinky and they are easy to take on and off.

May not be a good option if you have to leave your house but great for the rest of the time.

Just wondering why Uggs wouldn't be good to leave the house?  I wear mine all winter long, basically live in them when I'm out of the house (I don't wear shoes in the house).  They are loose, I can wiggle my toes, the lining is comfortable, and they are easy to slip on and off.

• Like 3

Rather than wool shoes, I like my Birks with wool socks.  They keep my feet warm and breathe, plus they are still warm if they get wet in the rain.  When it gets really cold, I like fleece socks.  I thought they'd be hot, but for some reason they're not.  I do loose hiking boots or Docs in wet or muddy weather, and Maine-type snow boots for anything over four or five inches.

• Like 1

You need those boots that dancers wear over their ballet slippers to and from class. Then just put them over your flip flops!

This is the season where I LIVE in my sanuk yoga sling shoes if I wear any at all, but I do adore socks when it gets cold because I freeze before most people.

• Like 1

You need those boots that dancers wear over their ballet slippers to and from class. Then just put them over your flip flops!

This is the season where I LIVE in my sanuk yoga sling shoes if I wear any at all, but I do adore socks when it gets cold because I freeze before most people.

Around here this would be Uggs or similar boots.

• Like 1

Just wondering why Uggs wouldn't be good to leave the house?  I wear mine all winter long, basically live in them when I'm out of the house (I don't wear shoes in the house).  They are loose, I can wiggle my toes, the lining is comfortable, and they are easy to slip on and off.

I was also going to recommend Uggs for the exact same reasons.  I also hate socks.  I wear flip flops until it drops to about 40F, and then I get out my 13 year old Uggs.

• Like 1

Just wondering why Uggs wouldn't be good to leave the house? I wear mine all winter long, basically live in them when I'm out of the house (I don't wear shoes in the house). They are loose, I can wiggle my toes, the lining is comfortable, and they are easy to slip on and off.

They are ok and you can even buy hard bodies ones but I keep mine as clean indoor shoes because our outdoors is muddy.

• Like 1

If you hate wearing closed toed shoes, and can't stand socks... I'm pretty sure your winters just aren't cold enough.  :cool:

On the other hand, I have a friend with foot problems. He wears sandals indoors in winter and these outdoors: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-587/Get-Down-Bootie

I've certainly lived in places that qualified as having cold winters.  Ottawa is at the top of that list.  I'll put on socks if I have too.  I don't ski sockless in rental boots, for example, and if I'm walking the dog in the snow I'm putting on socks. 

But they'll be peeled off the second we cross the threshold of the house, regardless of weather.

I am getting spoiled though.  I took a group of kids bowling twice this summer, and both times decided that it wasn't worth putting on socks.  Since I won't wear rental shoes without them, I cheered from the sideline.  My co worker clearly thought I was weird.

Edited to add that those booties would suit my style, smooth and cool on the inside.  No fuzz or fluff of constricted feet.  They'd still come off indoors though.

Edited by Daria
  • Like 1

I wear socks, but I break the elastic, or I buy sizes so big that they don't strangle my legs.  :p

I buy wide leather shoes and I take them off the instant I get inside.  If I had nice boots that were easy to get on & off, I'd probably wear those around when I could get away with it.

My mom can't wear closed-toed shoes - never could.  She would wear shoe-boots to work and then change into open-toed shoes.  At home she wore open-toed slippers.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

I haven't read all the responses...

At 16, I went to India and came back with a foot fungus. It took about eight months to get rid of it (after numerous prescriptions, soaking my feet in apple cider vinegar finally worked, just in case anyone needs to know!). But I was also told to wear open-toe sandals and, if I had to wear socks, they must be wool. So, Birkenstocks and wool socks for that winter, even with 18 inches of snow outside! I had a hard time adjusting back to close-toed shoes, and still prefer no shoes if possible. In winter now, I prefer Haflingers, which are wool so I'd assume are more breathable than other shoes.

• Like 1

My weird wool hippie shoes have arrived, and OMW, I LOVE them! I'm only on the fence about the sizing. I think I could go down a size, but I'm not sure, and there aren't any retailers around me. I think I can order the next size down on Amazon and return one pair, but I always feel a little guilty when I do that. 

Anyway, if you think wool slip-ons might be for you, I highly recommend trying the Giesswein brand. I bought these for $114 (free shipping, free returns) on Amazon:

ETA: I forgot to also say thank you for all the ideas and links. I'm still looking into a few other options, just for variety's sake. I love Ugg boots and would gladly wear those, except they don't look so great with boot-cut jeans, which I kinda have to wear for, um, fit reasons. Someday, skinny jeans...someday!

• Like 1

My weird wool hippie shoes have arrived, and OMW, I LOVE them! I'm only on the fence about the sizing. I think I could go down a size, but I'm not sure, and there aren't any retailers around me. I think I can order the next size down on Amazon and return one pair, but I always feel a little guilty when I do that. 

Anyway, if you think wool slip-ons might be for you, I highly recommend trying the Giesswein brand. I bought these for $114 (free shipping, free returns) on Amazon:

ETA: I forgot to also say thank you for all the ideas and links. I'm still looking into a few other options, just for variety's sake. I love Ugg boots and would gladly wear those, except they don't look so great with boot-cut jeans, which I kinda have to wear for, um, fit reasons. Someday, skinny jeans...someday!

'

I really like those shoes.  I wonder if there's something similar available for less since $114 shoes are on hold for now.

I can't wear "skinny" jeans because of I can't have anything tight around my knees.  Straight leg jeans are the best but I still wear my old boot-cuts.  I just shove the bottom loosely into my boot and it looks fine.  I wear the Classic Uggs so there's plenty of room.

'

I really like those shoes.  I wonder if there's something similar available for less since $114 shoes are on hold for now.

I can't wear "skinny" jeans because of I can't have anything tight around my knees.  Straight leg jeans are the best but I still wear my old boot-cuts.  I just shove the bottom loosely into my boot and it looks fine.  I wear the Classic Uggs so there's plenty of room.

Well, I did just buy the next size down (41 instead of 42) for $81. As is often the case with Amazon, it depends on who's selling them. But I doubt you'll find them much cheaper than that because they retail for $126. I didn't come across anything similar for less while I was searching. Keds had some wool options, but it looks like maybe they're canvas lined, so not quite the same.

http://www.zappos.com/p/keds-crashback-wool-gray/product/8732064/color/8

I think my oldest has a pair of Uggs that may fit me. I'll dig in her closet and see if I can find them.

PSA:  Costco has Uggs knockoffs that are very comfortable for only about $25.  They are seasonally available in the late fall until they run out.  They are all I wore last year when I was recovering from a broken toe.

Oh, that's right, I remember seeing them! Thanks!

• Like 1

Well, I did just buy the next size down (41 instead of 42) for $81. As is often the case with Amazon, it depends on who's selling them. But I doubt you'll find them much cheaper than that because they retail for $126. I didn't come across anything similar for less while I was searching. Keds had some wool options, but it looks like maybe they're canvas lined, so not quite the same.

http://www.zappos.com/p/keds-crashback-wool-gray/product/8732064/color/8

I think my oldest has a pair of Uggs that may fit me. I'll dig in her closet and see if I can find them.

What size in US sizes do you wear?  It says they run big - I can get the cherry red in a 38 for $35, but that's one size less than I normally wear.  

ETA: Or $59 for sand or light grey.   :hurray:

I love warm shoes I can slip on easily.  

Edited by Where's Toto?

What size in US sizes do you wear?  It says they run big - I can get the cherry red in a 38 for $35, but that's one size less than I normally wear.  

ETA: Or $59 for sand or light grey.   :hurray:

I love warm shoes I can slip on easily.  

I wear a 10.5, sometimes 11, sometimes 10. I was seeing reviews that said they were running small, so I sized up, and maybe I shouldn't have. Those are great prices!

• Like 1

I'm looking at both of these and wondering how "soft" they are. I had a pair of Target brand black flats years ago and they're no longer available. I've bought three different ones to try and replace them and each kind hurts my heel. The back (edge of heel) rubs against my skin and irritates it. I'm having a hard time finding a pair that doesn't do that. The Target ones are practically falling apart but I can't make myself get rid of them until I find a comfortable replacement pair.