Preschool Journal ?

4 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 111

Banned

• Banned
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Considering this for when we start the formal year here on sept 1, but wanted to know of other experiences before I decide to go forward with it.

#2 Mommyof1

Mommyof1

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

My child isn't quite ready for that, just yet.

I do like the idea of her using a journal, when it's time.

#3 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

We keep a long-book for science.  It started when he was 4 or 5, he would draw a picture for nature study and I'd write down his oral narration on the back and date it.  Same book for K and 1st, and now 2nd.  Each year gets a handful of drawings/diagrams and he writes what he is able.

I'm not sure I would have kept a journal for pre-k, but doing a long term book that progresses with him worked well for us.

• Mommyof1 likes this

#4 ReadingMama1214

ReadingMama1214

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1114 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

We had a science notebook for observation.

DD did have the primary notebook with half line half drawing space. She'd draw a picture and then write a sentence. But she was ready for it

#5 abibechard

abibechard

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:16 PM

We are using one of those notebooks with the space for a picture with our school. I have a 5 and 3 year old. It's not something I intend to use every day as a journal. But for drawing while I'm reading aloud or for nature walks. Or just little bits and pieces of our school concepts I'd like to reinforce. I'm not pushing the writing much yet, but they can dictate and I can write. It's more for the drawing.

I love that they could have something at the end of the year to mark what they've learned all in one place.