Menu

Day planner for new high school freshman?

IMO, it depends a lot on what exactly she is organizing and how you / she want to do that.  Will she be homeschooling and you want her to organize her own school matters? Or assignments from a b&m school? And/Or extracurriculars (in which case, when do they tend to be, since some planners are equal on weekends, others not, and some have appt areas going into late night, others not, etc.), or focus on To Do lists rather than time?  Or?  Is weight, size an issue?  Would she use something "pretty" more?

• Like 1

IMO, it depends a lot on what exactly she is organizing and how you / she want to do that.

I agree.

My kids are currently using a typical calendar planner that has a day on a page. It is good for my 7th grader because he doesn't have much to track long term. His deadlines are at most a week.

My 8th grader however would probably have to move to a Filofax or any of those binder organizer which you can buy or print refills. His deadlines are longer than a week and it's also easier to have to do list per subject which his current planner doesn't have. So he can write his to-do list at the notes section of each page but it doesn't have a to-do list section. He does organize things in his head and then refer to his planner if he forgets the specifics. It would just be more useful to buy the day to day calendar refill, notes refill and to-do list refill for an organizer than use an off the shelf planner for this kid. I'm waiting for sale and then I'll just buy and let him switch planners. He has plenty of outsourced classes.

• Like 1

I agree.

My kids are currently using a typical calendar planner that has a day on a page. It is good for my 7th grader because he doesn't have much to track long term. His deadlines are at most a week.

My 8th grader however would probably have to move to a Filofax or any of those binder organizer which you can buy or print refills. His deadlines are longer than a week and it's also easier to have to do list per subject which his current planner doesn't have. So he can write his to-do list at the notes section of each page but it doesn't have a to-do list section. He does organize things in his head and then refer to his planner if he forgets the specifics. It would just be more useful to buy the day to day calendar refill, notes refill and to-do list refill for an organizer than use an off the shelf planner for this kid. I'm waiting for sale and then I'll just buy and let him switch planners. He has plenty of outsourced classes.

Yes.  And great for one might be something to fit and be comfy in back pocket. For another it might be 8x11 and hardcovered,