Menu

Good news for my daughter re: Dual enrollment on transcript

FLHomeschool2000

I emailed UCF, where she will be applying because I had received conflicting information and the last thing I wanted was an error on her transcript.

In our state, for our admissions -- point blank from a senior admissions director: "Unfortunately, we are unable to tell you whether or not your daughter’s homeschool Dual Enrollment courses would count for as half credit or a full credit.  As the administrator you are awarding her high school credits, so unfortunately we cannot determine how much credit is given to each course. "

This was such a relief because I was on the phone with one of their "helper" admissions people who told me differently and that certain DE courses could only count as half a high school credit and in our state, history and elective DE courses are almost always only counted as a half credit for public school students.  This was all different from what the advisor at the college said during orientation when we started DE which was :  1 college course = high school credit.

This is a relief because the half credit folks had my daughter's transcript coming up short and making her look like a slacker...

The full credit treatment more accurately reflects her efforts and what I as the administrator had planned based upon what the college told us from the very start.

This is our first high schooler and I really did not want to mess up and have her miss out on things because of arbitrary guidelines that didn't actually exist for homeschoolers.  Yay!

And since I verified that Psychology can count towards Social studies as it is indeed on a state list of approved courses that count--since it is DE, she should get that extra weighted point. 

So relieved to have it in writing that it is indeed my call.   At least in Florida. :-D

• Like 7

When my son did dual enrollment here in FL, I had to sign an agreement in which I promised to award credit for DE classes according to the system used by the schools in my county. The "logic" of that system was that DE classes counted for as much high school credit as would be awarded for the regular high school classes they replaced.

So, freshman comp was a full credit, because it was being used in place of a full-year English class. But American Government was .5, because it was being used in place of the one-semester high school version.

I suppose that not every community college has homeschool parents sign an equivalent articulation agreement, and I am not sure what the enforcement or consequences would look like of violating one, but I chose to honor ours, even though I found the logic a bit labored.

• Like 2

I also think there could be a credibility issue.  If I am awarding 1 full credit for Government, but the public schooled applicant's transcript only awards .5 for the same dual-enrolled class, I wonder if the Admissions department assumes we're trying to pad the GPA, which might make the whole transcript suspect.  Just a thought...

• Like 3

I also think there could be a credibility issue.  If I am awarding 1 full credit for Government, but the public schooled applicant's transcript only awards .5 for the same dual-enrolled class, I wonder if the Admissions department assumes we're trying to pad the GPA, which might make the whole transcript suspect.  Just a thought...

Yes, that is why I was super careful about following the guidelines I posted about above. I did not want to put anything on my kid's transcript that might raise eyebrows (in a negative way) or call into question the "mommy grades."