Menu

Spanish Sight Words

We had a meet and greet at DDs kindergarten today. One other mother mentioned that in K their only homework is learning sight words. Words such as con, el, the colors, etc. DD is reading in English and could read simple Spanish words (one fish two fish in Spanish and words such as azul and luna) but doesn't know what the words mean.

I'd love to do the sight words with her phonetically rather than straight memorize. I know Spanish somewhat (did AP Spanish) but it's been a while since I've done Spanish phonics. Is there a resource that would be good to have? I was looking at Coquitas reading book.

That was what I had been thinking. I'm not sure. Perhaps for the same reason that they teach purely phonetic English words as sight words? Quicker fluency?

Sight words just teach guessing. There's only one way to pronounce each Spanish letter (except soft/hard g and c, but the rule as to which to use is also 100%). Teach the sound for each letter, then blending. Done.

Sight words just teach guessing. There's only one way to pronounce each Spanish letter (except soft/hard g and c, but the rule as to which to use is also 100%). Teach the sound for each letter, then blending. Done.

Oh yes, I know. We are pretty strongly opposed to sight words. We didn't do sight words with English reading for those reasons.

Oh yes, I know. We are pretty strongly opposed to sight words. We didn't do sight words with English reading for those reasons.

Then, really, don't worry about it.  I taught my kids phonetically and they were reading in English, German, and Spanish with correct accents by the time they were 6 (even if they didn't know what they were saying in the latter languages, they could sound them out fluently).  

You're looking for lists of frequent used words, not sight words. Sight words are usually words that are hard to sound out because they don't fit the most common rules.

As decoding doesn't seem to be the issue I would just work on vocab instead :)  pick a topic and have fun with it (colors, animals, fruit, calendar, family, numbers). Read simple, repetitive books together. She will pick up more vocab that way - the most frequently used words tend to be less interesting (lo, que, para, en, de, y) and she will learn those better in context down the road.

• Like 2

You're looking for lists of frequent used words, not sight words. Sight words are usually words that are hard to sound out because they don't fit the most common rules.

As decoding doesn't seem to be the issue I would just work on vocab instead :) pick a topic and have fun with it (colors, animals, fruit, calendar, family, numbers). Read simple, repetitive books together. She will pick up more vocab that way - the most frequently used words tend to be less interesting (lo, que, para, en, de, y) and she will learn those better in context down the road.

We aren't homeschooling or I wouldn't even bother with high frequency words. She's going to an immersion K school and they send the high frequency words home to be learned

We aren't homeschooling or I wouldn't even bother with high frequency words. She's going to an immersion K school and they send the high frequency words home to be learned

Yes, they are high frequency words. Why that term is used interchangeably with sight words in schools, I don't know. It bugged me too (as a teacher in the public schools). Don't worry about them sending the lists home and learning them. She will be learning to read them phonetically because Spanish is a phonetic language! As she's practicing at home, you will work with her sounding them out not learning by sight, so no worries.