Menu

Eclipse snacks and crafts...

LarlaB

I'm a theme dork even though my kids are probably past fully appreciating it. I'm taking off work and pulling them out of school Monday for the eclipse and working on projects and themed snacks- little throwback to our homeschool days.

Menu:

Crescent moon shaped sandwiches

Sliced caprese salad (round sliced tomatos and mozzarella)

Sun Chips

Moon Pies

Sunny D (beverage- no idea what this tastes like)

Blue Moon beer (DH)

We are making a pin hole viewer and possibly painting t shirts. I pondered a solar oven but don't care to mess with it.

http://www.kcparent.com/KC-Parent-Blogs/All-About-Kansas-City/Web-Exclusives-2017/DIY-Make-your-own-Eclipse-T-Shirt/

What are you doing?

• Like 5

I bought some Sunkist orange soda and sun chips at the store today. I also got golden and regular oreos and we had fun today modeling the eclipse. There's even an oreo that's half golden and half regular and I'm calling those the Totality oreo--the chocolate side being the moon covering the yellow side. It's mostly for my own amusement as I don't think my teenagers care too much about an eclipse theme. But they do appreciate oreos.

• Like 2

We watched eclipse videos yesterday and made a pizza box solar oven. Today, we'll use the oven, make a cereal box pinhole viewer, and practice using binoculars to make an image of the sun on a paper plate.

Plans for Monday are picking up subs and having a picnic lunch at a park.  I never thought of themed foods.  Maybe I'll pick up some Oreos and Sun Chips for the boys.  I'm not sure they'd eat any of the other sun-themed foods mentioned above. The park is hosting an eclipse event.  

Tuesday, the boys will write about the eclipse in their nature journals and maybe do a drawing. They will also finish any remaining BSA eclipse patch requirements.

• Like 1

We are crafting cheese and Ritz crackers.

Crescent roll sandwiches are on our list, too.

Husband is taking a half day off work.  We have glasses, but we are making a pinhole viewer too.

Sunny D is gross.  :)  The Tshirts are cute!!!  Maybe putting 2017 on them would make a great keepsake.

We are crafting cheese and Ritz crackers.

Crescent roll sandwiches are on our list, too.

Husband is taking a half day off work.  We have glasses, but we are making a pinhole viewer too.

Sunny D is gross.   :)  The Tshirts are cute!!!  Maybe putting 2017 on them would make a great keepsake.

Ok- skipping Sunny D and going with Sunkist. :)

I'm GF (and my family hates crescent rolls) so I'm making sandwiches in the shape of crescent moons.  Or at least I was- you have helped refine my idea-  I will get them Costco croissants,  which will be much easier and less tedious/wasteful.  Thanks for that tip. 

I'm such a dork- but just going to keep going with it!