Menu

How many children do you have?

rose

Children  

231 members have voted

1. 1. How many children do you have?

Just curious. I wonder how we all compare to the societies around us. The fertility thread made me realise just how many large families are on this board. No obligatory other this time unless someone can suggest a really compelling reason why. Oh and, unborn babies count as children in my world.

I only have six, plus some miscarriages. Still on the fence as to whether we want more in a few years, since I'm still very young. All the health stuff is still up in the air but it looks like, with a perinatologist, I can probably safely have more.

Some days my family feels small but sometimes, like tonight when I was trying to shepherd everyone through Kroger alone, it seems almost unmanageably enormous.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I really didn't mean to trigger so many emotions. It didn't even cross my mind that this would be a sensitive question. My apologies.

It isn't for me. Answering the question of how many children I have is hard in person because five isn't right, since it leaves out Baby Nate, but six means I might have to discuss Baby Nate when I don't really feel like it. And also, saying six seems unfair to those who have six living children because except for a very few minutes, I've not actually parented six children at once. But here, y'all know me, and I appreciate the chance to count Baby Nate without any hesitation. So, thank you. :)

• Like 16

I really didn't mean to trigger so many emotions. It didn't even cross my mind that this would be a sensitive question. My apologies.

No need to apologise to me.

It isn't for me. Answering the question of how many children I have is hard in person because five isn't right, since it leaves out Baby Nate, but six means I might have to discuss Baby Nate when I don't really feel like it. And also, saying six seems unfair to those who have six living children because except for a very few minutes, I've not actually parented six children at once. But here, y'all know me, and I appreciate the chance to count Baby Nate without any hesitation. So, thank you. :)

Yeah. The difference between the question asked and the questions implied, which isn't a problem here.

I'm trying to train myself to say "it's complicated."

Here is the UK.  I make it many more with one child, roughly similar two children, many fewer with more.

ETA: graph wouldn't post.  Here's the source in figure 2:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/families/bulletins/familiesandhouseholds/2016#things-you-need-to-know

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

Really, the question is so much harder in real life. And when you have lost a child it is a question that gives you pause, but it is such a normal question, one I never thought about until the end of May. No need to apologize.

• Like 5