Menu

5th Grade Math Saxon vs Singapor

dlmeadows

I have a daughter that is in 5th grade and has always use Abeka this year I am wanting to change curriculum. She has done two placement tests . Singapore she would start 3B for me to make sure she would cover everything and Saxon 7/6. I dont really care about numbers on books and want her to really know her math. However being in 5th grade she does very well in math but I am getting a feeling retention of learning is a concern. Is it a good idea to switch her to a mastery type verses a spiral type math in 5th grade? 

I've never worked with Singapore.

The homeschooling Mom''s I know used Saxon and did well with it. I know that it's known for its repetition.

If I had the money I would use Saxon. It works well for my brain but I don't know about my daughter at this point. She isn't ready for written work, only 4yr old.

• Like 1

If retention is an issue, yes, Saxon is a great choice.

We have kids here who struggle with retaining concepts even after mastery as well, and have seen enormous improvements in their problem solving and and review skills after switching from RightStart. They're just used to coming across a bunch of problems from multiple lessons each time they sit down, and do a much better job remembering how to solve them than when we went with a program that built incrementally and was fantastic on teaching the concepts, but too light on review.

Saxon is great at both and my bright, but not highly gifted, math kiddos need that.

Edited by Arctic Mama

She placed in those on the placement tests?

There's a huge gap between Saxon 7/6 and 3B. If she truly placed in Saxon 7/6, I'm afraid she'd be incredibly bored with Singapore 3B or even 4A/4B.

Granted, we used Math in Focus, but we used Saxon 5/4 after 3A/3A.

We used MiF for most of 3rd grade, but we finished it with Khan Academy. Last year (4th grade), we used Saxon 5/4. I pulled out her 3B workbook to have her finish over this past summer, and it became painfully obvious that it was nothing more than busy work that she had down solid. I scrapped it.

As for spiral vs mastery...

My daughter is pretty good at math. She catches on pretty quickly. Saxon was a terrible fit. She hated the constant review because once she has it, she has it. Mastery works much better for her. It truly just depends on the kid.

We're switching back to MiF this year (5th grade), and we'll be doing 5A/5B.

Edited by YodaGirl

Saxon will be an easier transition from Abeka and more on her level.  Singapore is very different, not only for the student, but for the teacher.  It is mastery based vs. spiral.  Another good transition would be Beast Academy.  She could go through those levels at her own pace for the next year or two and be solidly ready for pre-algebra.  It is more mastery based, but it builds on concepts each year.  It excels in problem solving, but it is a different way of thinking through things like Singapore.  Don't worry about placement in it because it is advanced...just go through.  Once you finish level 5, you'd be ready for pre-algebra.

On another note, what are you thinking of using for pre-algebra and beyond?  This might help direct you into what would best prepare her for that program.  If you're thinking of using Saxon all the way up, I'd go with that now.  If you want something like AOPS, Singapore or Beast Academy would be a better choice.

My daughter did ABEKA through 3rd grade and we just transitioned to Saxon.  However, she tested into Saxon 6/5.  She is in 4th grade and since I have NO need for her to get to Algebra early, we are only doing Saxon 3x per week.  We are doing Beast Academy 3A 2x per week and will continue with BA.  It is challenging the HECK out of her because it is so different than ABEKA.  Saxon is similar to ABEKA. So I like the pace and combo we have found.  She isn't "mathy" but gets it done.  So she likes the mix-up as well.  :)