Menu

Rules against having two user names?

QueenCat

Just asking...why would it matter? Maybe someone wants to discuss something without having their regular name tied to it for privacy. I think that's fair.

We did just have a convo on here involving possible spousal abuse. I fully accept some posters may create alter names to cover their true identity when sharing potentially difficult things.

Edited by MommyLiberty5013
  • Like 1

Just asking...why would it matter? Maybe someone wants to discuss something without having their regular name tied to it for privacy. I think that's fair.

Nope, it's against forum rules because it tends to lead to trolling, among other things.

We did just have a convo on here involving possible spousal abuse. I fully accept some posters may create alter names to cover their true identity when sharing potentially difficult things.

This person isn't doing it for any reason like that. Most people use pseudonyms. This person, if I'm right, is not doing it for a good reason. They are doing it to be outlandish and mean.

• Like 1

If it affects me, can someone let me know, especially in relation to my thread about mental illness. I'll take it down if need be.

Please don't delete your thread! You're going through a difficult time and hopefully you're getting some helpful information from most of the posts. :grouphug:

• Like 5

Ohhh Ahhh drama on the Hive!! Ya'll this is funny. I'm smiling. Thank you.

I guess I haven't read any of the posts or threads you are upset about. Is there an argument somewhere? So literally I had no idea people are upset elsewhere here on the Hive. There are quite a few threads I have not opened today. So I am sorry for offending anyone. Truly an innocent mistake.

I too take the rules seriously I think it was interesting everybody wanted to know WHO. But I erroneously thought it was just a passing "hey that's so and so" and not a stop to someone being a troll.

• Like 2

Lol, I thought I was the only clueless one. Anyone else spend time peeking through recent threads, only to be like "Nope. Still don't know." :D :D

Me either, but admittedly I haven't been online much lately!

I guess I haven't read any of the posts or threads you are upset about. Is there an argument somewhere? So literally I had no idea people are upset elsewhere here on the Hive. There are quite a few threads I have not opened today. So I am sorry for offending anyone. Truly an innocent mistake.

I too take the rules seriously I think it was interesting everybody wanted to know WHO. But I erroneously thought it was just a passing "hey that's so and so" and not a stop to someone being a troll.

Usually if someone wishes to be anonymous they get another board member to post for them, or - even though it's against board rules - post under a new name and mention something along the lines of being a long time board member seeking anonymity.  Otherwise, multiple user names tends to just spell trouble.

• Like 3

Is it me or is 30 or so people having PMs about who may or may not be breaking board rules very gossipy? Either just post who you suspect of having 2 usernames, or just report the person, or both, but this is very middle school-ish. 

Maybe, but it allows debating the veracity of the claim in private, without making public accusations.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 9

It's one thing if you just want to post something semi-anonymously. I don't think any of us would report somebody who openly said "I'm a long time poster, but I can't ask for this advice under my usual name".

But this rule is to keep people from stirring up trouble with multiple usernames, or running around with a zillion sockpuppets.

• Like 4

If it's the person saying religion is the cause of the "seemingly" mental health issues then I hope that person gets in trouble. That post shocked the shells out of me!! As a person with mental issues, I'm highly offended.

My friend's dd's psychiatrist told her that.  seriously.   he told her religion was the cause of all her problems, and to stay away from it and her family.  he openly mocked her when she complained about headaches . . .

two years later - still with this idiot psychiatrist - another dr found she had a *massive* brain tumor. (that would have killed her if they hadn't gotten it out.)  but yeah - religion was the cause of all her problems . . . note big sarcasm here.

eta: and I see whom you suspect, and it does sound like something another specific poster would say.

Edited by gardenmom5

Is it me or is 30 or so people having PMs about who may or may not be breaking board rules very gossipy? Either just post who you suspect of having 2 usernames, or just report the person, or both, but this is very middle school-ish.

My impression was that QueenCat started this thread to ask what she should do if she suspected someone of having two usernames. I don't think she meant to create a big drama.

(Edited for clarity.)

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 6

My friend's dd's psychiatrist told her that.  seriously.   he told her religion was the cause of all her problems, and to stay away from it and her family.  he openly mocked her when she complained about headaches . . .

two years later - still with this idiot psychiatrist - another dr found she had a *massive* brain tumor. (that would have killed her if they hadn't gotten it out.)  but yeah - religion was the cause of all her problems . . . note big sarcasm here.

That is SOOOO out of line. I would consider reporting that to his licensing authority.

• Like 4

That is SOOOO out of line. I would consider reporting that to his licensing authority.

they talked about suing him for malpractice at the time - and they would have won.  especially as the second dr discovered something was wrong with a simple/in-office very basic neurological test that prompted him to order more extensive testing.

both the mom and the dd were so happy it was over, they just wanted to move on.  the mother was angrier than the dd - but the dd was also an adult.

I really didn't intend to create drama with the OP. I was frustrated at the moment, because of seriously concerning behaviors of what I suspected one member of, and was trying to figure out what to do. You and I have both been around here long enough for you to know that I'm not middle schoolish.

• Like 8

I really didn't intend to create drama with the OP. I was frustrated at the moment, because of seriously concerning behaviors of what I suspected one member of, and was trying to figure out what to do. You and I have both been around here long enough for you to know that I'm not middle schoolish.

I didn't mean that you created this thread to create drama... I probably didn't really phrase my previous post very well, but it was at least as much (if not more) about everyone asking for PMs as it was about you. 

I don't know. Maybe it would be better to just ask another trusted poster for their opinion in a PM to begin with than to start a thread. Or to just report it with an "I'm not sure" thrown in, and let the moderators make their judgment. 

• Like 1