Menu

How Much To Charge For House Cleaning?

Lady Marmalade

I've been asked kind of out of the blue if I'd be interested in cleaning an older, single lady's home weekly.  She is not  pack rat, and in general kind of lives clean, so it wouldn't be all kinds of gross to clean it up.

3 bedroom, 2 bath.  I would do vacuuming, dusting, mopping of hard floors, clean bathrooms and general kitchen cleaning like wiping down counters.  For sure I would dust the corners for spider webs.  Probably shake out area rugs if she has them?

I've never done this before and have no idea what would be reasonable to charge.  She may have an amount in mind, and I'd be okay with that too.  We'll be meeting next week to go over details.  I'm hopeful she will let me use my own cleaning products, as I try to stay away from harsh cleansers/bleach etc.  We'll see about that though.

All the craigslist ads for a house cleaning person are vague with "reasonable rates".  Help? 

I'd look at square footage rather than number of rooms. Every house I've owned has had three bedrooms but have varied in size from 1200sf to 3000sf. Regional rates will also vary. I pay $90 per visit. It takes about 2 hours for 2 people to do the job well. They don't charge by the hour, but rather analyze the home's needs and give you a per rate visit. Others do it hourly.

• Like 2

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback- sounds like the rates are all over the place depending on where people live.  I'll have to see what this lady has in mind.  I clean our (rather large) church by myself weekly and I can get the whole building done in about 2 hours- but that's 100% volunteer and I don't get paid for it.  I figure basic cleaning of a home should take me about the same amount of time or less.

I had been kind of thinking in my mind that $20-$25 per hour would not be unreasonable.  I charge $20/hour for dance costume alterations, but most of those are in the 15-30 minute range and I charge accordingly.  Cleaning is far more physical plus I'll have to travel and figure out the ideal time to work it into my week.  It will be interesting to see what comes of it.  It wasn't something I was seeking out, but apparently my work in the church has been noticed.  

Wow, I really appreciate the feedback- sounds like the rates are all over the place depending on where people live.  I'll have to see what this lady has in mind.  I clean our (rather large) church by myself weekly and I can get the whole building done in about 2 hours- but that's 100% volunteer and I don't get paid for it.  I figure basic cleaning of a home should take me about the same amount of time or less.

I had been kind of thinking in my mind that $20-$25 per hour would not be unreasonable.  I charge $20/hour for dance costume alterations, but most of those are in the 15-30 minute range and I charge accordingly.  Cleaning is far more physical plus I'll have to travel and figure out the ideal time to work it into my week.  It will be interesting to see what comes of it.  It wasn't something I was seeking out, but apparently my work in the church has been noticed.  

Just keep in mind that you'll probably be doing this as an independent contractor. You need to factor in self-employment taxes on top of the normal taxes (fed, SS, etc,state if you have them).

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that you'll probably be doing this as an independent contractor. You need to factor in self-employment taxes on top of the normal taxes (fed, SS, etc,state if you have them).

Yeah, I'm already an independent contractor, as I deliver newspapers everyday.   So that's not a factor/issue for me.