Menu

The No, Wait, Stop Teachers Lounge 8-16-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning and welcome to the Lounge!

Today's them stems from the fact that while we are, in fact, attempting to get full days of schooling done presently

the "Lifus Interruptus" continues! So, we get started and hit a "No" from health issues, interrupted schedule, etc.

Or it's a "Wait, where did that curriculum go? I swear it was right here." Or, "I don't know where my book is!" Or waiting

for the 13 year old's hormones to settle down a bit (WOW!) before we continue. Or "STOP" because Mom is sick (like yesterday)

or we still can't find the curriculum or . . . So that's what I feel like parts of last week and this week were like!

What's fallen under the category of No, Wait, Stop for you recently? Here: see above.

Anyone else dealing with the monthly? Here: why do you think I asked?  ;)

Tell me one of your favorite genres to read and a favorite author in that genre? Here: while I don't normally read fantasy, I do like the way John Flanagan writes it! (He writes Young Adult fantasy.)

Talk to me! :bigear:

Edited by scrapbookbuzz
  • Like 2

No, Wait, Stop: I've had to drive Cameron around a lot for work and... yeah, just work.  He's been offered baby-sitting jobs and day laboring jobs a lot lately in addition to his regular taekwondo job.

Monthly: I tried to birth my uterus almost two years ago and had to have the doctor help it the rest of the way out.  So, no, I don't have to deal with periods anymore, thank goodness.

Genre: I love young adult dystopian.  My favorite author in that genre is probably Heather Sunseri.  She's an indie author and I just love her books.

• Like 2

I'm finally getting my crap together. Finally. Life has been a string of interruptions until this week. We are finally, blessedly getting into some semblance of a routine. Today is story time. Normally that would completely derail our school day, but we are pretty much done. I just took away Jay's second workbook. The first one was too hard. The second one is kind of stupid. Basic phonics interspersed with 4th grade level vocabulary, in a second grade book. Why!!??!! Looks like i'm going to have to order ETC and start freaking over again. 

Deep Breath. 

I think part of why I feel so wretched-cranky, fatigued, burned out, miserable- is shifting hormones. I sincerely hope that menopause comes quickly. I am so over it all. 

I like murder mysteries and true crime. Jonathan Kellerman is my favorite. But I'll honestly read any old garbage. 

I'm not sure what it's called, but I'm enjoying David Sedaris. I loved Me Talk Pretty Someday, and now I'm reading Theft By Finding. I like that kind of book, where the author just talks. Not a memoir, I don't think autobiography. Not so much telling the story of a life, but just sharing thoughts. Usually comedians? If I knew what it was called, I could probably read more of them. I like Unfriending my Ex, by Kim Stoltz. And Jenny Mcarthy's pregnancy and parenting books. Before the Vaccine debacle.  Just funny chat about whatever topic. What is that called?

• Like 2

Our day has been a jumble today and not much accomplished. I detest errands early in the day! 

No AF here. She left after Ds was weaned. 

I love lots of things to read. Fantasy is my go-to. Tolkien and Anne McCaffrey are my faves. I also love Jane Austen, Patrick O'Brian, Daniel Silva, and C.S. Lewis. I am rereading Mary O'Hara's books and have The Green Grass of Wyoming coming from ILL.

• Like 1

Scout, did you read Anne McCaffrey's Black Horses for the King? That's the only one of hers I read but it was good!

Believe it or not, that one was part of dd's Sonlight curriculum a few years back! When I bought it used at my favorite local

used bookstore, the proprietor was amazed that Anne McCaffrey was part of our curriculum!  :D

What I thought was really cool, too, was at that time, I was able to find a free horse anatomy curriculum here.

Thus, I was able to tie my dd's science (she was 7th or 8th grade at the time) with her literature.

• Like 2

Scout, did you read Anne McCaffrey's Black Horses for the King? That's the only one of hers I read but it was good!

Believe it or not, that one was part of dd's Sonlight curriculum a few years back! When I bought it used at my favorite local

used bookstore, the proprietor was amazed that Anne McCaffrey was part of our curriculum! :D

What I thought was really cool, too, was at that time, I was able to find a free horse anatomy curriculum here.

Thus, I was able to tie my dd's science (she was 7th or 8th grade at the time) with her literature.

Yes. I like that one. The Pern series is the best of her work. Start with Dragonflight.

• Like 1

Good afternoon!

I'm not having any interruptions exactly. I am having a few medical tests this week, but they haven't interrupted my schedule too badly. 

I haven't had a monthly in 2 years, so no problems there, either. 

I don't really read novels much on my own, but I read a lot of youth fiction over the last few years leading a book club. Kate DiCamillo and Richard Peck were two of my favorites. 

• Like 2

Glad to see you all!

We've managed to get a decent amount of schooling done today despite my brain not wanting to participate!

Even did some Greek with ds to catch him up to where dd is. Now, on Friday we can do a lesson together!

Tonight will be their first foray back to tae kwon do after a 3 1/2 month break. DS, of course, has outgrown everything.

But I'm thankful my kids love TKD so much it's noticeable in class and the dojang (aka dojo) is scholarshiping their lessons!

Just don't expect an answer to, "What's for dinner?" because I don't know!

• Like 1

WHEW. Yes, lol, to No Wait Stop. 

Today was an adventure. Babysitter cancelled, I had a dentist appt, and they had no other openings until late September. I hadn't been in 2 years, so I wasn't going to push it off again. So, all kids into the car! And I forgot to start the dryer, so Mom into the car in wet clothes! 

There was a car fire (not my car!) on the way back from the appt. So lots of "quality" time with the kids in stopped traffic, including a hungry baby. I called my next appt (business contact) to say I was running late, but their phone said the number was not in service?? Went there anyway, since we had a scheduled appt. Turns out the power went out in their office [hence no phones] and so most people went home early, including my contact. So back into the car, drive home, now in rush hour traffic. Forgot the post office and bank. Did get groceries, at least, but dinner was 2 hours late. 

To authors: If we're talking fantasy, Elizabeth Moon's Deed of Paksenarrion is close to my heart, and she has returned to that universe recently with more stories. I used to read all.the.time. Had to stop because nothing.got.done. lol. I start to dip into books and have to forcibly pull myself out. So I'm sticking just to reading with kids right now. Though reading your series/authors has me thinking...  

Anyway, hope everyone's day ended well! 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 2