Menu

What do you do with your cell phone when you're sleeping?

J-rap

We have a landline, but only downstairs.  Our bedroom is upstairs, so we wouldn't hear it ring at night.  Also, family and friends don't call on our landline anymore.

I have elderly parents and kids all over, so I do like to be available during the night in case of an emergency.  But, I don't like to leave my sound on, because I get random notifications and sounds pinging now and then.  

I've gotten in the habit of putting it under my pillow with it on but the sound off.  I generally wake up for a few minutes here and there during the night, so that way I can grab it easily and quickly check it in case there is some emergency somewhere. 

Wondering what others do...

• Like 1

I have mine set to no notifications or rings from 10pm-6am except from a few "priority" numbers I have designated....my kids, husband, brother, mom, MIL and 2 close friends. Their calls and texts will come through.

Also, my phone is set so that of the same number calls twice in under 5 minutes it will over ride the no notifications setting and ring. Hopefully in an emergency someone would try twice so it will ring.

• Like 16

The only sounds my phone makes is for texting and calls. I keep my phone on high volume all day and night in case one of my girls needs me. The phone stays on my nightstand at night. Because it would only make a sound for an emergency in the middle of the night, DH doesn't care if it wakes him up. 

ETA: I have a landline too but my girls prefer to use my cell. That's why I keep it with me all the time.

Edited by Night Elf
  • Like 2

Mine is on silent at the foot of the bed -- it's always on silent. Everyone that might need to reach me for an emergency knows to call my spouse, his phone is on the night stand. 

I'm surprised at those sleeping with it under a pillow - that makes me anxious. I don't wear a tin hat all day, but I wouldn't want to sleep on top of my phone, my antenna engineer husband agrees with me. 

• Like 9

I have mine set to no notifications or rings from 10pm-6am except from a few "priority" numbers I have designated....my kids, husband, brother, mom, MIL and 2 close friends. Their calls and texts will come through.

Also, my phone is set so that of the same number calls twice in under 5 minutes it will over ride the no notifications setting and ring. Hopefully in an emergency someone would try twice so it will ring.

Mine is exactly set like this as well.

• Like 2

Yes, this is what I do too.  I have the phone next to the bed, charging on my nightstand. 

• Like 1

My cell is plugged in next to my bed at night.

I have it set on vibrate. I don't get notifications at night. I haven't done it, but may set it so only a few priority numbers ring or vibrate at night. I had to tell one of my dc he couldn't just call to chat or send interesting texts after 11pm.

• Like 1

Mine is on the nightstand. DH's is on his nightstand. We don't silence them. The only notifications either of us get automatically are texts. No one we know is so rude that they'd call or text us at night unless it was an emergency. Sometimes DH does have work emergencies he has to handle, so neither of us panics if his phone rings or alerts during the night.

• Like 2

Exactly this. The only close family member who isn't on the override is my dad, because he pays no attention to time zones.

• Like 1

I put mine on do not disturb by my bed. It allows you to enter in numbers you allow to disturb you. I have my kids and family. Otherwise it doesn't make a peep or light up! Also, you shouldn't put it under your pillow. Have you seen those fires that start by keeping the phones on soft surfaces?

• Like 1

I keep my phone on the nightstand next to the bed. The volume for Notifications is set extremely low. Fortunately, nobody calls during the night...   I did have a problem, months ago, but that number was calling the 2nd SIM number, which I'd stopped using, so I put that number on Call Block and I removed the 2nd SIM.  I don't use a Watch anymore, so the phone is my Watch too.

• Like 1

I have my phone on. I have it set on "Do not disturb". No notifications come through for any apps or email and it doesn't ring for most calls. However, I did set that up to allow my 'favorites' calls to come through. If my dc or dh calls, the phone will ring at normal volume. If they text me, again, I receive a normal volume notification beep. I'm contemplating adding CodeRed to my 'favorites' list.

Oh, forgot to add - it is on my nightstand beside the bed. I try to put it within reach but not right next to the bed. So, at the outside limit that I can reach. It is face down. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

Next to me.  It will chime for texts and ring for calls, but nothing for emails or other notifications.  I don't really have any problems with getting woke up/  My phone is my alarm, so it is within arms reach. I do not keep it under my pillow, but also not that far away.  I would be interested in hearing any science behind proximity dangers (aside from fire). 

• Like 1

Next to me.  It will chime for texts and ring for calls, but nothing for emails or other notifications.  I don't really have any problems with getting woke up from notifications.  My phone is my alarm, so it is within arms reach. I do not keep it under my pillow, but also not that far away.  I would be interested in hearing any science behind proximity dangers (aside from fire). 

Edited by Tap

I turn mine off at night and keep it on my bedside table, and dh's phone is downstairs in the kitchen charging. Dh read a news article about the possible health hazards of keeping a phone turned on in close proximity while you sleep, and I've turned mine off ever since. We have a landline phone in our bedroom if anyone needs to get ahold of us.  

• Like 1

My phone has a do not disturb mode that turns off all notifications and calls and everything... unless I get two phone calls within fifteen minutes. Everyone knows to call me twice if it's the middle of the night and it's an emergency.

• Like 1

Next to me.  It will chime for texts and ring for calls, but nothing for emails or other notifications.  I don't really have any problems with getting woke up from notifications.  My phone is my alarm, so it is within arms reach. I do not keep it under my pillow, but also not that far away.  I would be interested in hearing any science behind proximity dangers (aside from fire). 

The guidelines for this should actually be somewhere in the phone itself.  The testing for emissions is done according to certain standard distances, which are not right next to the body.

• Like 1

We have a landline, but only downstairs.  Our bedroom is upstairs, so we wouldn't hear it ring at night.  Also, family and friends don't call on our landline anymore.

I have elderly parents and kids all over, so I do like to be available during the night in case of an emergency.  But, I don't like to leave my sound on, because I get random notifications and sounds pinging now and then.  

I've gotten in the habit of putting it under my pillow with it on but the sound off.  I generally wake up for a few minutes here and there during the night, so that way I can grab it easily and quickly check it in case there is some emergency somewhere. 

Wondering what others do...

I leave my cell phone downstairs in my purse (unless it's charging, and then it's on a table instead of in my purse, but still downstairs).

I do have a landline phone on my nightstand. I suppose if we didn't have the landline I'd bring the cell phone upstairs. Maybe.  I can hear my cell phone when it rings downstairs because of our semi-open floor plan.

• Like 1

My phone charges on the night stand. The only sound that is on is for the alarm clock. I almost never have the ringer turned on because it's so rarely used as an actual phone. :rofl: I have to remember to flip the switch when I'm expecting a call and then it startles me. If I needed to receive phone calls from emergency others, I'd set up the priority number thing.

• Like 1

I typically set my iPhone to either vibrate or "Do Not Disturb" mode, but my understanding is that it will ring for those in the important numbers list.  I also turn off vibrate and notification settings in most apps. And I don't have facebook or facebook messenger on my phone at all.

A few times when I've been really exhausted I warned my top 5 most frequent contacts I am turning my phone all the way off so I can catch up on sleep.

• Like 1

Exactly the same here.  And mine is charging on my nightstand, within easy reach. I don't need an alarm clock because at 6 AM all my held notifications start coming through. 

• Like 1

Those are good ideas.  I should figure out how to do that!

Mine is on silent at the foot of the bed -- it's always on silent. Everyone that might need to reach me for an emergency knows to call my spouse, his phone is on the night stand. 

I'm surprised at those sleeping with it under a pillow - that makes me anxious. I don't wear a tin hat all day, but I wouldn't want to sleep on top of my phone, my antenna engineer husband agrees with me. 

I've thought about that.  I should probably find a different place to put it.  I don't have a nightstand.  (No room on my side of the bed!)

I am surprised at the number of people who have it under their pillow.  I just saw a story on the news about a house fire that was started by a phone under the the pillow.  When I saw it I was like "that sounds like a kid wasn't supposed to have their phone and trying to hide it from mom and dad."  I didn't know that was a thing for people. 

Well, I think I've been convinced to not keep it under my pillow anymore!

• Like 1

I also have kids all over, so I keep my phone on the widow sill on my side of the bed at night.  The media sound is off.  The notifications sound is usually off.  And the ring tone is turned down very far.  

Dh puts his in the kitchen and forgets to turn off the sounds, if they're even on.  I sometimes turn off all his sounds at night because our kids know to call my phone in emergencies.  

How are some of you carrying your phones around your house if they're not in your pockets?  I don't carry a purse at home, so I stuff my phone in my pocket when I have to run outside for something, or when I'm vacuuming (so I'm sure to hear it ring).

I don't know how people would do this.

The guidelines for testing were created when people used holsters.

• Like 2

<snip>

How are some of you carrying your phones around your house if they're not in your pockets?  I don't carry a purse at home, so I stuff my phone in my pocket when I have to run outside for something, or when I'm vacuuming (so I'm sure to hear it ring).

If I don't have pockets, I stick it in my waistband or under my bra strap.  It's not ideal.  I keep thinking I should buy an arm band. 

BTW I only do that if I'm listening to an audiobook as I do my chores. 

I also have kids all over, so I keep my phone on the widow sill on my side of the bed at night. The media sound is off. The notifications sound is usually off. And the ring tone is turned down very far.

Dh puts his in the kitchen and forgets to turn off the sounds, if they're even on. I sometimes turn off all his sounds at night because our kids know to call my phone in emergencies.

How are some of you carrying your phones around your house if they're not in your pockets? I don't carry a purse at home, so I stuff my phone in my pocket when I have to run outside for something, or when I'm vacuuming (so I'm sure to hear it ring).

I don't. It just stays in the kitchen unless I go out and remember to take it.

It would never occur to me that I should have it right on my body or next to me at all times. If anyone calls, they can leave a message if it's important enough.

• Like 2

I also have kids all over, so I keep my phone on the widow sill on my side of the bed at night.  The media sound is off.  The notifications sound is usually off.  And the ring tone is turned down very far.  

Dh puts his in the kitchen and forgets to turn off the sounds, if they're even on.  I sometimes turn off all his sounds at night because our kids know to call my phone in emergencies.  

I usually put my phone on a table in the room I'm in. With the ringer on full volume, I can usually hear it wherever I am. If I have to go outside briefly, I carry it in my hand if I'm expecting a call or just leave it inside and go to voicemail if I'm not expecting anything important. I frequently wear wireless Bluetooth headphones to listen to podcasts while I do housework, so I can hear the ringer through those even when doing something noisy.

When I'm home I often wear bluetooth earbuds so I can listen to podcasts or music during the day.  So my phone can be anywhere downstairs and my notifications will come through that. If I get a call I answer through my bluetooth headset. I also have a nice bluetooth speaker that I use and if my phone rings it comes through that to let me know. 

I can be out on the deck and still be in bluetooth range but if I'm weeding in the yard I need to have my phone with me.

• Like 1