Menu

We watched the movie Sing last night.

Ginevra

The clips of music were fun and some of the characters, pretty endearing (Rosita, Johnny), but also...man. The lack of logic was pretty baffling. I mean, WTH with the Mike the mouse character? He gets a bank card on the suggestion that he will be "coming into some money" soon? And then he buys a sports car? How is *that* supposed to work out? And Rosita's automated motherhood, while funny, eeeeehhhh...when that goes wrong, it's just 25 unsupervised kids? Or, what, her husband has to quit his job or fail to come to work? And how did the squids get there? And he stole electricity and water?

I actually thought the Mike character was faking his singing. Like he was the MilliVanilli character and that this would be discovered, which would give Meena the elephant her opportunity to fill in. I also thought they were going to make some clever arrangement to get her over her stage fright, like have her singing from the rafters or something where she could be heard but not seen (at first, at least). Also, Johnny becomes Billy Joel on the piano after like three days of practice.

But the geriatric lizard was a hoot. Well, except for who knows how she gets paid. But okay, she was fun. And the aimless sheep living in the poolhouse did make me laugh.

• Like 2

I loved the lizard, and even more so when I found out it was a man doing the voice!!!  :laugh:  The reasoning behind the choice of a more "manly" voice was so they could do more violent things to the character. That's good logic there. ;)

I'm waiting for Sing II where the elephant is pressed to lose a lot of weight or have ear reduction surgery to parallel the typical pop singing star. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

Goodness. This might be the most thought out into Sing! ever.

What about Rapunzel?? Her hair *glows* and keeps you young?? But only with a magic song?? And how did Mother Gothel know the song? Coincidence?? And wouldn't a baby princess have guards?? Why did Mother Gothel even let her know what a birthday was?? And, was she kidnapped with her birth certificate pinned to her?? How did Mother Gothel know her birthday??

Don't get me started on Flynn Rider!! Are we trying to teach girls to fall in love with bad guys?? Love cures all, right???

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

• Like 6

What about Rapunzel?? Her hair *glows* and keeps you young?? But only with a magic song?? And how did Mother Gothel know the song? Coincidence?? And wouldn't a baby princess have guards?? Why did Mother Gothel even let her know what a birthday was?? And, was she kidnapped with her birth certificate pinned to her?? How did Mother Gothel know her birthday??

Don't get me started on Flynn Rider!! Are we trying to teach girls to fall in love with bad guys?? Love cures all, right???

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

Yeah, but I liked Tangled. 😄

But Mike goes to the bank, gets a credit card, and buys a sports car. What?! I mean, yeah, he's also a mouse and how the hell does he operate a normal-sized car even, so there's that, too. But we all have our limits, right? Don't be making my kids think you go to the bank and they give you money and you go buy a fancy car and get a sexy mouse girlfriend because of it. 😉

• Like 1

Can we talk about Trolls? The message I came away with was if you're not happy you just need to sing and dance and then bam, you're happy. It's just. that. simple.

I haven't seen Trolls yet. I'm always about 6months to a year behind releases. ðŸ˜

You know, I haven't seen it. The first trailer I saw made it seem light-hearted and silly with some fun music. I was somewhat interested in it after seeing that.

Then some time later, I saw a completely different trailer for it, and that one made it seem much more angst-y and emotionally fraught, which made me less interested. 

Oddly, these two trailers had the opposite effects on my DH. 

• Like 1

I was very impressed with the guy. Taron Egarton, voicing the gorilla Johnny.   And of course, you can hear him pronounce the Welsh town where he grew up at 1:40.  I want to say it's the longest name of a village/town in Europe  ( Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch)

https://youtu.be/r0UtJ23Yauk?t=1m44s

• Like 3

Can we talk about Trolls? The message I came away with was if you're not happy you just need to sing and dance and then bam, you're happy. It's just. that. simple.

Oh, god. And it's not possible to be both happy AND sensible - either you're high on life and completely oblivious to the very real dangers around you, or you're a miserable misanthrope. (AND THERE IS NO CONSENT. YOU WILL BE HUGGED. YOU WILL ENJOY IT.)

Plus, the baddies just needed to be told they could be happy without eating trolls and they said "Yup, okay, great!" and believed it. Yeah, that's realistic.

Saw it because we had free movie tickets. Complete waste of time. The girls recently rewatched Moana. They talked about Wonder Woman and Spiderman for weeks. No interest whatsoever in rewatching or discussing Trolls.

• Like 1

Oh, god. And it's not possible to be both happy AND sensible - either you're high on life and completely oblivious to the very real dangers around you, or you're a miserable misanthrope. (AND THERE IS NO CONSENT. YOU WILL BE HUGGED. YOU WILL ENJOY IT.)

Plus, the baddies just needed to be told they could be happy without eating trolls and they said "Yup, okay, great!" and believed it. Yeah, that's realistic.

Saw it because we had free movie tickets. Complete waste of time. The girls recently rewatched Moana. They talked about Wonder Woman and Spiderman for weeks. No interest whatsoever in rewatching or discussing Trolls.

Yep I agree with this so much!

My favorite part is when poor Branch, having had a traumatic experience that led to him planning and creating a bunker with a savings of supplies and no other trolls taking part. They just Tra lala through life without a care. The minute something happens they all overrun his bunker to consume his resources.

I loved Sing though. Thought it was funny and endearing. My DD and I loved the pigs and their story. The gorilla always makes me tear up. I did make the mistake of pulling up the original Elton John video after the movie. I didn't remember it and my poor kids were traumatized lol. They hasn't seen men dancing in speedos before. Parenting faux paw.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure when you buy a ticket to a movie featuring singing animals participating in a stage review, you have pretty much agreed to willingly suspend disbelief. I mean doesn't it maybe say that in small print on the ticket?

I loved Nana Noodleman the best. We thought the movie was pretty entertaining. Mike should have been a rat instead of a mouse, but I have to admit that when he rode the microphone out over the crowd....well, I wanted to cheer out loud.

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure when you buy a ticket to a movie featuring singing animals participating in a stage review, you have pretty much agreed to willingly suspend disbelief. I mean doesn't it maybe say that in small print on the ticket?

Suspension of disbelief is a finite resource. Once you've used it up on believing that all these animals can get along and sing together, there's not much left for plot holes.

• Like 8

LOL.  I hate animated films, but I tolerate some of them because it makes my kids happy.  When I do watch one, I expect very little.  :P

I actually liked the theme of the mouse trying to rehabilitate an old theater.  I could relate because my company has assisted a number of theater rehab projects.  :P

• Like 1

And I also merely tolerated Trolls for my kids.  And am I the only person who gets annoyed at hearing a variety of old hit songs in a kid's animated film?  What's with that?  Can't come up with your own music?  Though, granted, I am kinda hooked on "Can't Stop the Feeling."

Don't be making my kids think you go to the bank and they give you money and you go buy a fancy car and get a sexy mouse girlfriend because of it. 😉

Well except for the last part, that's what I thought as a kid, and that's probably not too far from what my kids think.  :P

Just yesterday I swiped my credit card to pay for something, and my kid asked, "how much do you have on that card?"  Like she was surprised I hadn't run out yet.  :P  (Yes, we will be having a lesson on that in the near future.)

• Like 1

I am so glad I am not the only one.

Suspension of disbelief is a finite resource. Once you've used it up on believing that all these animals can get along and sing together, there's not much left for plot holes.

That's quite well-stated.

• Like 2

I have to say - I have a problem with grown-up movies too.  I am very picky.  I recall arguments I had with my ex because he would insist "sometimes people just want to be stupid for a while" and he could not understand why I didn't feel that way about movies.  (FTR he is a genius so that wasn't the issue.)  Later, my friends and I had a big tiff because I didn't want to see any chick flicks ever, and they did.  If I suffered through one with them, I would bitch about how stupid it was afterwards, which didn't win me any points.  Finally I decided to force myself to relax my high expectations for movies, in favor of not being an asshole to my friends.  (Not saying anyone here is being an asshole, LOL.)  Similar to the way I learned to accept clutter in my house rather than fight 50% of the time.  :P

I look forward to a time when I will sit in my rocking chair and watch real movies of my own choosing.  :P

• Like 1

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉

AND AND!  Why is it that when Gothel cuts a strand as a baby, that strand doesn't "die" the way her hair does when Flynn cuts it all off?  ANSWER ME, DISNEY!!!  

I recently watched a youtube video that shows how the new Beauty and the Beast patches up some of the plot holes in the old movie and I really liked how that was done.  

AND AND!  Why is it that when Gothel cuts a strand as a baby, that strand doesn't "die" the way her hair does when Flynn cuts it all off?  ANSWER ME, DISNEY!!!

It does. She shows Flynn the brown lock of hair not long after explaining that her hair is magic.

• Like 1

I didn't care for Trolls. It was so weird. I don't even remember if I saw the very end.

We have seen Sing a number of times. The squids were inside another establishment (restaurant?) at first.

Am I the only one that wanted to see the darn cake the elephant carried around half the movie?! That drove me nuts.

• Like 1

I didn't care for Trolls. It was so weird. I don't even remember if I saw the very end.

We have seen Sing a number of times. The squids were inside another establishment (restaurant?) at first.

Am I the only one that wanted to see the darn cake the elephant carried around half the movie?! That drove me nuts.

Yeah, the squids were in a restaurant and he posts a "squids wanted" poster. But how did the squids leave the restaurant?

• Like 1

Yeah, the squids were in a restaurant and he posts a "squids wanted" poster. But how did the squids leave the restaurant?

I can believe a truck was hired to haul the squid hither tither and yon, but THEN they were all washed into the sewer? And no one cared?

The jagoff mouse nearly ruins Sing for my kids. They are so annoyed by his attitude. "Plus he steals. Who cares if he sings better than anyone else, which HE DOES NOT!" ~DS, 8.