Menu

Scheduling question - 9th grade D Owens, Potters School, Spanish Homeschool Academy

I'm having a hard time trying to help my ds develop a schedule for this year because it's our first year to try a variety of outsourced/online courses mixed with our normal homebased classes.  Anyone have input on the amount of time/days to allot for the various courses he's enrolled in?  I'm wondering how many hours outside of the computer time he will need to work on the assignments or if you can even set it up that way?  Should he start block scheduling?  I'm so confused..lol

Math - Math U See -- Homebased so flexible

English - Kidswrite Intermediate through Bravewriter, all other aspects are homebased: vocab, spelling and literature studies

History - AP Human Geography through PAH

Science - Physics (aiming for Honors)  w Derek Owens

Foreign Lang - Span II w Homeschool Spanish Academy 50 minutes 2 x week

Elective - AutoCAD Potters School ( online class is on Tuesday mornings)

The way we do it is to plan on about an hour per subject per day. On the days my kids spend actual time in class, either online or locally, that is their hour for that day. Some classes take more than an hour a day and we just adjust that hour upwards as needed. It takes some time to find our groove at the beginning of the school year. Online classes, in particular, can be more time intensive when first started until my kids are familiar with the syllabus and whatever platform is used for class as well as teacher expectations.

• Like 2

I'm curious to hear if Spanish gives sufficient homework to make it an hour a day. The few weeks we spent assigned to the middle school class there was nowhere near that much work assigned. I was disappointed. Presumably at high school level they are assigning more homework.

I agree that blocking an hour a day for each class is a good place to start.