Menu

Learn to draw books to do together?

Sk8ermaiden

I would like to teach DD to draw this year - she's still doing stick people. I got to a "not bad" level of art once upon a time but am way out of practice. I don't want a curriculum or anything, just maybe a guidebook or series. Has anyone used anything they liked? I'd just like to get some sketchbooks and do exercises with her so we can both get better. Nothing that's going to make her super frustrated. 

Edited by Sk8ermaiden

I like the Draw Write Now books. 

https://smile.amazon.com/Draw-Write-Now-Book-Characters/dp/1933407557/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502824850&sr=8-3&keywords=draw+write+now

It shows you step by step how to draw a chicken, cat, etc.  Then it has a few facts where a child can do copywork as well. 

Different books have different themes. 

If the grades in your signature are accurate, maybe Draw Write Now? It has simple step by step drawing instructions for an animal, landmark, and such, followed by a simple copywork section about it.

I'm going to try Mark Kistler's Draw Squad with my crew this year, with my younger four kids (1st, 4th, 8th, 9th) and myself.

This book gave my daughter confidence in drawing people:

https://www.amazon.com/Illustration-School-Lets-Happy-People/dp/1592536468/

I like drawing textbook for teaching basic elements of drawing. I will say that I purposefully go slowly through this one to keep from quickly getting to a point that is too difficult for my kids. But you could just go quickly until it seems frustrating and then set it aside for 6-months to a year, starting over when you pick it back up.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/002584

Both of these have helped my kids improve their drawing skills.

DSs and I did Mark Kistler's Draw Squad together. Very fun, and it really improved all of our abilities. He teaches you the basics of line, shading, etc. with fun cartoonish ideas and images, and then it's not that hard to take the jump to applying it to realistic renderings. Mark Kistler also has videos online.

The best part is that it is easy to do as daily "bites", taking 10-20 minutes (depending on your schedule). I'd say Draw Squad is most successfully for age 7-8 and up.

For younger than that, try the Big Yellow Drawing Book (at Amazon, Rainbow Resource, etc.) to start teaching line, shading, etc. It was done by Mark Kistler's original art teacher/mentor! :) Here's a 30-second YouTube sample.

Another idea for kinder-3rd grade ages: the Freddie Levin 3-2-1 Draw books. DS#2 loved those and did some pretty amazing pictures at about age 5-6 following the steps in those books.

We tried the Draw-Write-Now books; they are nice, but really, after book 1 or 2, they quickly become complex for a beginning-drawer kinder-2nd grader. Silver's second link is to a book that is VERY similar in instruction and layout to Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. :)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I like the Draw Write Now books.

https://smile.amazon.com/Draw-Write-Now-Book-Characters/dp/1933407557/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502824850&sr=8-3&keywords=draw+write+now

It shows you step by step how to draw a chicken, cat, etc. Then it has a few facts where a child can do copywork as well.

Different books have different themes.

I am giving another vote for these. My kids love them like no other and have gained great skill from them.