Menu

Can someone please help me with Pre-Algebra and Algebra?

wehave8

I had been doing VT with 13 yo ds.  This year 12 yods started it, too.

Thirteen yo is not doing well with it this year, and 12 yo just doesn't care how it 'works'.  (hard to explain)

I MAY just stick with it anyway, but I have been searching alternatives.

I have been looking mostly at Lial's.  The thing is, though, I have umpteen tabs open with 'see this post' that I am going bonkers!!! :banghead: 

I *think* I'm looking at Basic College Math for 12 yo and Introductory Algebra or Beginning Algebra for 13 yo.

QUESTION...

12 yo--(BCM) Which edition/year?  AND

13 yo--Introductory OR Beginning (and which edition/year)???

Pam

BCM is prealg. Lial "prealg" is honors prealg. Both cover all you need to know for algebra and explain thoroughly.

We used intro alg. I think the main difference between intro and beginning is the format of the text. They're both alg 1.

Lial edition does NOT matter at all. Just make sure the image on the covers are the same on your student text and solution manual.

Foerster is a bit more challenging than Lial and has fabulous word problems. Which is best depends on the kid.

• Like 2

BCM is prealg. Lial "prealg" is honors prealg. Both cover all you need to know for algebra and explain thoroughly.

We used intro alg. I think the main difference between intro and beginning is the format of the text. They're both alg 1.

Lial edition does NOT matter at all. Just make sure the image on the covers are the same on your student text and solution manual.

Foerster is a bit more challenging than Lial and has fabulous word problems. Which is best depends on the kid.

I know you said editions don't matter, but I need to make sure.  :)  I can be like that.  ;)

So what I am looking at is:

Basic-7th ed.

Pre-Algebra-3rd ed.

Introductory-8th ed.

Eventually, I will have someone for each of these levels if I decide to use them.  So they would all be okay?

I don't think I'll need the Solution Manual for the Basic and Pre.  Right?

The Introductory I'm looking at has the Solution Manual with it, and it matches.

I just need someones confirmation.  :)

Pam

I know you said editions don't matter, but I need to make sure.   :)  I can be like that.   ;)

So what I am looking at is:

Basic-7th ed.

Pre-Algebra-3rd ed.

Introductory-8th ed.

Those editions are fine-- I used them for years with my own dd's and with my classes and only moved to the next edition last year as my TMs were falling apart (after 10 years of constant use).

BCM is more of a gifted 6th grade or average 7th grade Math program.  Lial's Pre-Algebra is more of an Honors Pre-Algebra with my preference with it coming AFTER BCM and not skipped as it introduces lots of Algebra (gently) and that makes Algebra 1 so much easier to process (it is an awesome 'bridge' course).

• Like 2