Menu

Our OBX vacation went well! Our events and sights (long)

sheryl

I planned a trip to the Outer Banks (OBX) for dh, dd and I about 2 years ago and then my Dad passed away.  None of us felt like going then.  Last year it was planned inasmuch as revisiting the idea of going but we were not able to go. 

Then I tried again for this summer.  It was scheduled for mid-July but dh couldn't go b/c of a big work project which took about 6 weeks and that would have been week 6.  I had to call all of the hotels back and cancel for that week.  But, we entertained the idea of going the following week which would have been the last week.  So, I moved our reservations over, with these hotels, from the first planned week to the second.  DH decided that even though the project was completed, he wanted to stay the following week to "test" it.  So, I moved our reservations over from the second planned week to the third!   Is this confusing yet?  :)

Originally he thought the project might not take as long so in order to ensure availability of rooms at our price point I had to keep on it the entire time.  And, it worked to our advantage (even though it was a hassle) so make the reservation and cancel  to reschedule.

All the while, much (not all) of the banks experienced the power outage.  Here we are knowing we have the 3 scheduled week approved which was last week.  Now days before we were to leave there was no power.  That happened on July 27 with a timetable for repair at 1-3 weeks.  DH pulled up the local utility to that area and I checked on the status everyday.  Long story short, it took them much less time than they originally planned.  The work was completed on Aug 3 or 4.  I don't remember which but it was definitely one of those days.  I checked that morning - not yet.  I checked at noon - not yet.  I checked about 4 or 5 pm and it was DONE!  We were able to keep with our plan/trip for the scheduled days of Aug 6 - 12! 

Here we were on Ocracoke Island spending the night on Aug 8.  DH left the hotel room. DD and I stayed and IT HAPPENED!  A .5 - 1.5 power glitch!  YIKES!  That's all that happened.  We were on a self-contained island with no bridge access.  Only accessible by ferry.  We did not want to lose power that night and glad it was only a glitch!  I have no idea if it was a hiccup from the correction made earlier by the power company or if it was specific to the island OR hotel but it happened in a blink of an eye and it was over.  WHEW!

It was VERY difficult to get to OBX.  In the early 90's dh and I planned a trip to the Banks.  We got there and there was a forced evacuation due to Hurricane Emily!  We got on Ocracoke, checked in the hotel and found out via tv that a hurricane was coming. We checked out (no charge) and we were on the last or 2nd to last ferry!  DH thinks it was Hurricane Emily.  We returned home and the following week we went back to OBX and finished our vacay.  So, with this and fast forward 20 or so years to the power outage, it's incredible it finally worked out again.  It was a return trip for dh and I but dd's first time to the Banks. 

I probably scheduled too many events b/c we didn't have much down time and, ironically, the weather was terrible. It rained to some extent almost everyday.  The 2 + ferry ride from Cedar Island too Ocracoke was intense as a rainstorm kicked up. Here we are on ferry on the ocean in a rainstorm!  I'm not a big fan of waters or heights!  But, it turned out fine.

On Wed, we climbed to the top of the 2nd tallest lighthouse in the USA - Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. It was an incredible view.  So glad as we were able to see the "Point" aka Cape Point and a bit of Shelley Island which is really a shoal (sandbar).  We crossed off driving to the point as we don't have the recommended 4-wheel drive.  Many vehicles get stuck in the sand and call for tow service b/c they do not deflate the tires which is recommended and do not have a 4wd.  I didn't want to get stuck so we didn't go but could see it all from the lighthouse.  INCREDIBLE! 

We spent the night on Hatteras Island Wed and drove Thursday to Nags Head.  That's leaving HI by Bonner bridge!  It is old for a bridge and the new one will not be constructed for a while yet.  It was intimidating but interesting to drive on it.  We drove through Avon, Salvo, Waves and Rodanthe and visited other sights.  DD wanted to track down The Rodanthe Inn from the Richard Gere movie, "Nights in Rodanthe".  We found it and took a picture of it. 

We stayed Thurs and Fri nights in Nags Head.  Thursday we went to the "Lost Colony" play and Friday we had reservations ride horseback on the beach! Amazing!  DD is in her 9th year riding (English and western) and I've ridden about 5 years.  DH has been on a horse about 5 times.  Little did I know until I was mounted/saddled up that I was on the "lead" horse.  Trigger kept the lead the whole time and picked up the walk to a trot.  DD with her experience was allowed to canter on the beach!  NEAT!  Saturday we drove to Duck.  When dh and I drove there in the early 90's it wasn't built up.  Well, it is now. There are homes everywhere and it took 2 1/2 hours to drive 10 miles!  But, it was so worth it.  I liked seeing the boardwalk shops again. 

After that we left Duck and drove home taking route 64.  Well, I did research on that too and what the internet showed played out in real life.  We crossed 2 bridges over 2 "sounds" and then the bridge over Alligator River.  REALLY??!??!! And, it was too long!  After we crossed and continued on the 2 lane road on the mainland there is a little tributary running along side rt. 64. It is literally next to the road.  I looked over and there a saw it - an alligator!  We were driving through an alligator "refuge" AND then a "game" area.  Next a sign appeared reading Bear next 15 miles.  I wanted to see a bear but didn't.  :)

It was an interesting trip.  So glad it worked out this time for us to go! :)   Highly recommend it!

• Like 6

Ah. The home of my ancestors. :001_wub: One of my g-grandfathers was the last civilian lighthouse keeper at Ocracoke. My far-away ancestor was a member of Blackbeard's crew. Which probably explains so much...lol.

Glad you had a wonderful time. I'll be there for a couple of days in October. I *should* have been there in June for a family reunion, but the family seemed not to be interested and it was canceled. :crying:

• Like 3

I miss the OBX. We honeymooned there and have been back a few times. We rented a big house the last time, went fishing, kayaking on the sound, stayed in the Rodanthe area.

Lots of fun stuff to do.

We also love Ocracoke and have taken the ferry to Ocracoke three times. Glad you had a great trip.

We went to the aquarium on Roanoke Island which was great for a drizzly day.

Ellie: Your heritage explains it all. lol But sorry about the family reunion that didn't happen. :( 

• Like 2

Yes, Ellie!  Sounds great!  DH and I (DD stayed in the car b/c it was raining) went into an Ocracoke "antiques" store owned by a man. He said that he is the 10th or more family generation on Ocracoke Is.  He said the same thing of some of his "kin" (lol), that they were "crew members" of Blackbeard.  Is this antiques dealer a family member of yours?  :) 

We also saw the Ocr lighthouse! 

Thanks, Jean!

• Like 2

Sounds like a great time! We were in Nags Head the week before the power outage. I'm so glad they got it all resolved quickly; those Hatteras and Ocracoke locals depend on that income!

We went to see The Lost Colony, too. I had not seen it since 4th grade (I grew up in mainland Hyde Co - the same county that Ocracoke is a part of) and we saw it on a school trip. My kids loved it, though my nine year old said it was "very violent." Lol.

• Like 2

Yes,  Alison, they do need the tourists!  Thankfully it was only a week and not longer as was originally expected.  Which ferry do you take to Oc Is?   I don't fully remember but I thought there was another faith-based play my dh and I went to years ago.  I'd be embarrassed if it was actually Lost Colony that we saw and I don't remember.  I thought there was another?  Do you know of any others?  It was outdoor as well.

I love the OBX!!  We went last spring and loved it!  I hope you got hot fresh donuts in Duck?  Mmmm!  My husband was not able to go, but I was still able to let the air out of my own tires so we could drive on the beach (in our 4wd Suburban). We did not get stuck and I was able to fill up my tires again all by myself.  Doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it is something I had never done before - I had to watch a couple youtube videos to prepare!!  We live far far away from the coast now and I so miss the beach and the ocean!  Awe!

• Like 1

Yes, Wendy, DUCK DONUTS!   We went to a Duck Donut shop but not in Duck.  LOL!  

I wish we could have "walked" the point but didn't.  It's just as well as dh would have wanted to walk to Shelley Island.  It's common knowledge that it's a sandbar and unstable.  There have been a few cases where people "walk" over from the point to Sh Is at low tide.  I heard from more than 1 person the same story that they knew of a person or party that did cross with the water at the crossing up to the ankles.  Time passed and before they knew it they walked back in chest-deep water.  NOT my idea of a good time or safety b/c of the "currents" in the area (Labrador and Gulf Stream) AND the sharks!  

A 4wd wouldn't get stuck but the others do. Again, so many stories from tourists that did get stuck and were towed b/c they did not have that 4wd.  Oh well....

So maybe it wasn't too bad we didn't get to go.  We still had a bird's eye view from the lighthouse.  And, it was awesome (12 stories up)!   :) 

• Like 1

Yes, Ellie!  Sounds great!  DH and I (DD stayed in the car b/c it was raining) went into an Ocracoke "antiques" store owned by a man. He said that he is the 10th or more family generation on Ocracoke Is.  He said the same thing of some of his "kin" (lol), that they were "crew members" of Blackbeard.  Is this antiques dealer a family member of yours?  :)

We also saw the Ocr lighthouse! 

Thanks, Jean!

I'm sure he is. :-) Pretty much anyone you meet on the OBX who is a native is related to me. :D

I never met my g-grandfather passed away the day before I was born. My mother loved him dearly. He was still living at the light house when my mother was little; she remembered staying there. The house he and my g-grandmother moved to when he retired is now a B&B called "Oscar's Place." Sadly, it doesn't look as beautimous as it used to because the current owner took down the beautiful front porch, but inside it's still *pretty* close to the way I remember it. "Spencer's Corner" (I think that's what it's called; it's on the corner of the highway and the road that goes down to the school and the Methodist Church) is where my Aunt Flora Spencer lived. Around on the back road is a coffee house that used to be the home of my Aunt Iva Garrish. When I was a little girl, the ponies ran wild on the Island (my mother remembered when there were no paved roads on the island at all); on the Fourth of July, all the ponies would be rounded up, and counted, and bought and sold, and there would be a parade, and people wore costumes. Somewhere I have a very cute picture of me dressed as Little Bo Peep. :-)

I don't know nearly as much history of the island as I should; my grandmother never talked about it. o_0

In Hatteras, there's a little store called Nedo's. That is "Oden" spelled backwards. It's the site of my Uncle Dan Oden's store; behind it was my Aunt Comfort's house; next to it was my Aunt Brittie's house, and across the street was Uncle Dan's house. Down the road was Aunt Lily's house. Next to Uncle Dan's house was the house where my g-grandparents had lived before he went to Ocracoke.

• Like 4

I love the OBX. My best friend and her DH have a house in Rodanthe.

My brother and SIL go to Carova every year. They have to let the air out of their tires and drive about 30 minutes up the beach to get to the house they rent. My brother is a *very* experienced four wheel driver and has a very serious (large, diesel) four wheel drive truck, but he got stuck once (although not enough to need a tow--he was able to dig the truck out himself). It happens even to experienced people. I don't get the appeal of driving on the beach other than (maybe) to get to a lovely, somewhat secluded spot like Carova.

• Like 1

Yes, Alison, they do need the tourists! Thankfully it was only a week and not longer as was originally expected. Which ferry do you take to Oc Is? I don't fully remember but I thought there was another faith-based play my dh and I went to years ago. I'd be embarrassed if it was actually Lost Colony that we saw and I don't remember. I thought there was another? Do you know of any others? It was outdoor as well.

I don't know of any other outdoor dramas in the OBX.

From mainland Hyde, we take the Swan Quarter ferry to Ocracoke. My best friend from high school had a family house on the island, and we spent many a summer going back and forth on that (long) ferry. :)

• Like 1

Ellie, Thanks so much for sharing your stories!  I like hearing the history to the island.  That's so cool knowing that your family sounds like they are one of the founding "island families".   Love the lighthouse story and the others too!  Yes, Oscar's - know where that is but not Nedo's (we must have missed that).

We saw the pony pen!  Beautiful! 

Your Aunt Iva Garrish is what relation to Irvin?   And, what lineage is the name?  

Pawz4me - Rodanthe is just cute.  The best shells are in that area!  I wanted to see behind the restricted area (sea turtles,huh?). 

• Like 1

Ellie, Thanks so much for sharing your stories!  I like hearing the history to the island.  That's so cool knowing that your family sounds like they are one of the founding "island families".   Love the lighthouse story and the others too!  Yes, Oscar's - know where that is but not Nedo's (we must have missed that).

We saw the pony pen!  Beautiful! 

Your Aunt Iva Garrish is what relation to Irvin?   And, what lineage is the name?  

Pawz4me - Rodanthe is just cute.  The best shells are in that area!  I wanted to see behind the restricted area (sea turtles,huh?). 

Nedo's is an unremarkable little store; it's almost to the ferry, on the right side of the road. Lots of pavement around it.  

Garrish was her married name. Her husband Monford might have been related to Irvin. Garrish is an old, old name on Ocracoke, but since it isn't *my* family name, I haven't done any research on it at all. :-)

• Like 1

Nedo's is an unremarkable little store; it's almost to the ferry, on the right side of the road. Lots of pavement around it.  

Garrish was her married name. Her husband Monford might have been related to Irvin. Garrish is an old, old name on Ocracoke, but since it isn't *my* family name, I haven't done any research on it at all. :-)

Thanks!  I like learning the history of a story.   Nedo's - would that be the ferry we took that landed in Frisco?  On the Frisco side of Hatteras?

Just all so interesting!  :) 

Thanks!  I like learning the history of a story.   Nedo's - would that be the ferry we took that landed in Frisco?  On the Frisco side of Hatteras?

Just all so interesting!  :)

You drive through the village of Hatteras to get to the ferry to go to Ocracoke. The only other ferry I know of is the one that goes between Ocracoke and Portsmouth Island. :-)

• Like 1

Right, but we went S to N, Ocracoke to HI - Frisco is the 1st village upon entering from the ferry.   Yes, I guess the 1st community/village is Hatteras on HI and driving N you stumble upon Frisco and Buxton.

It's very charming there! :) 

You drive through the village of Hatteras to get to the ferry to go to Ocracoke. The only other ferry I know of is the one that goes between Ocracoke and Portsmouth Island. :-)