Menu

How long for thyroid medication to kick in?

Murphy101

For hypothyroid issues?

Just started this week and am wondering how long before I should feel significantly more normal.

Doesn't help that we have had some awful head cold running through the house this last week and a half. Dratted back to school germs. *sniffle* *yawn*

For me it was more of a gradual thing where over 2-3 months I found myself having a little more energy, needing fewer blankets on the bed (I spent most of a year absolutely freezing), and feeling a little more with it mentally every week. But I was super low, if your levels weren't as low as mine you might not notice the differences as starkly.

I have my 6 week bloodwork tomorrow and I can't really feel anything different yet :(

Well poop. That sucks. I'm not supposed to go back for 3 months to retest my levels, but I'd sure hope it doesn't take that long to feel better. It is a very low dose though, so maybe Dr would need to up it. If I don't notice a difference at all in a month, I'm going to be bummed.

But I'm also crazy stressed right now and it probably is hard to separate out stress symptoms from thyroid symptoms.

For me it was more of a gradual thing where over 2-3 months I found myself having a little more energy, needing fewer blankets on the bed (I spent most of a year absolutely freezing), and feeling a little more with it mentally every week. But I was super low, if your levels weren't as low as mine you might not notice the differences as starkly.

It was low but also no antibodies, so we are hoping it isn't going to be a long term problem. And she did tell me to give it a solid 3 month try.

Brand and formula can make a huge difference.

Synthroid did NOT work for my dd or my sister.  They both do better on natural instead of synthetic-- but even with the naturals the 'binding' ingredients can make a huge difference.  My dd has been on Nature-throid for several years but recently tried a different formula (she is in the UK going to grad school and ran out of her regular stuff)-- the new formula worked so much better for her.. we are now trying to figure out if we can get it in the USA or if we will need to get it shipped.

I think I started to feel better in about 3 weeks, but didn't hit my new normal for about 2 months. I've never completely lost the fog and tiredness, but I can make it through the day without a nap (most of the time) and I lost quite a bit of weight (not effortlessly, but it became possible). I test once a year and it is time again. It is possible that I need to adjust a bit :).

• Like 1

For hypothyroid issues?

Just started this week and am wondering how long before I should feel significantly more normal.

Doesn't help that we have had some awful head cold running through the house this last week and a half. Dratted back to school germs. *sniffle* *yawn*

Here is how it should work:

You begin with a small dose--one grain (a grain is 60-65 units) of a natural desiccated thyroid (Armour, NatureThroid, WP Thyroid)--and you increase it every 10 days to two weeks until you are symptom free. You stay on that dosage for *four to six weeks* before you do lab work.

How it usually works:

[doctor] Here; that this little measley bit of synthetic T4-only drug; see me in six months.

[you] But...but...but...I still feel awful.

[doctor] Such is life. Your TSH is in normal range. [pats you on the head]

Yeah. You aren't going to feel better with 25mcg of levo.  :crying:  The synthetics are only T4. You need T4 *and* T3. Most people feel better around 2-3 grains. I take almost five.

Your doctor should have ordered FREE T3 and FREE T4, not just T3 and T4, not Total T3, not anything except the Frees. Your Free T3 should be in the upper fourth of your lab's ranges; your Free T4 in the upper half. TSH (which isn't actually a thyroid measurement; it's a pituitary measurement) should be in the lower fourth of the range.

• Like 1

T3 was 2.6

I forget what the t4 was

25mcg of levothroxine

http://hypothyroidmom.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Dr.-Borenstein-optimal-TSH-Free-T4-Free-T3.jpg

drs will run two different t3 and t4 numbers.   my  last dr would ONLY run "totals" -  and only after having  pushed her for months.  totals are worthless - as they don't tell you how much is available.   you need to know the "free" numbers.

levothyroxine is synthetic t4.  t4 - is a storage hormone.  

free t3 is the hormone that is used.  your body must convert free t4 - to free t3 - and most hypothyroid patients have conversion problems in the first place.

when I was on levo - my tsh (which is a pituitary hormone) was still close to 4 (on ndt it's < 1), my free t4 was fine  -but going by free t3 I was very hypo.  no wonder I still felt lousy . . . .  

there are actually five thyroid hormones, and calcitonin produced by the thyroid.

If that was Free T3, then that is seriously hypo. Levo won't make it better. I know this. I was undermedicated for 20 years, feeling slowly, progressively worse. I didn't know any better, and my doctors who should have did not. :-(

Please read Stop the Thyroid Madness.

this.  btdt too. . . .

my thyroid numbers were good, but I still felt bad . . . turns out I can NOT eat yeast!  (or mold. think cheese with moldy rinds - like brie, or leftovers in the fridge). . . . it's very sad. . . I love brie.. . . and blue cheese dressing . . ..but suddenly I felt much better!

Well poop. That sucks. I'm not supposed to go back for 3 months to retest my levels, but I'd sure hope it doesn't take that long to feel better. It is a very low dose though, so maybe Dr would need to up it. If I don't notice a difference at all in a month, I'm going to be bummed.

But I'm also crazy stressed right now and it probably is hard to separate out stress symptoms from thyroid symptoms.

I'm no expert, but with me doctors start with a low dose and slowly raise the dose if the blood tests warrant it. I've been going through this process myself.  50 mcg >75>88>100>112>125. New blood tests in a week.

My numbers barely budged in that time, and my patience has been tested. However, sane-rational people whose medical opinion I trust over my own personality flaws, say that's the way you need to advance safely. 

I felt the levothyroxine right away, even though everything I read said it takes awhile. But getting to optimal dose is a process.

That's the keyword here, "optimal," not normal.

Also, my Endocrinologist re-tests after 6 weeks, and on a couple occasions has re-tested in 4 weeks. 3 months seems like forever. Why so long?

Best wishes,

Bill

• Like 1

For clarity. It says

TSH 4.63H

T3, free 2.6

I'm not seeing anything that says T4 or T4, free.

My vit d was also really low and I'm on a mega weekly dose of that too.

I'm going to give the low dose a couple weeks before worrying about going in.

If the low dose works, no reason to go in. I can go in as often as I want though, so that's not a problem.

Probably never with that dose( and the fact that it is T4 only which not everyone converts- which is why you need t4 numbers too) and with the Dr. Not planning on seeing you for 3 months they are doubly scewing you. I had the same thing happen, stayed on the starter dose way too long. I would guess your iron is also low which means your body is less able to absorb what it is getting. After being on this train for 3 yrs now I so regret not being more aggressive.

Probably never with that dose( and the fact that it is T4 only which not everyone converts- which is why you need t4 numbers too) and with the Dr. Not planning on seeing you for 3 months they are doubly scewing you. I had the same thing happen, stayed on the starter dose way too long. I would guess your iron is also low which means your body is less able to absorb what it is getting. After being on this train for 3 yrs now I so regret not being more aggressive.

Actually my iron and every thing else was absolutely wonderful. A1C was low, cholesterols were great, all my other hormones were within normal range, some a bit in the low to mid area of normal but I'm in my forties. My thyroid and vit D were the only things that were not approx in the middle of normal ranges.

I suspect she gave me this because if it does work for me, it's really cheap. $8 for a month is not bad. If I don't feel any difference after a couple weeks, I'll call and insist on either changing the type or upping the dose. I do not have an antibody problem, so the hope is that I will not need heavy doses or to be on this for life. Hopefully my thyroid just needs a midlife/post pregnancy jump boost to get it going again better on its own. At least, that is what she said no antibodies can suggest.

• Like 1

Actually my iron and every thing else was absolutely wonderful. A1C was low, cholesterols were great, all my other hormones were within normal range, some a bit in the low to mid area of normal but I'm in my forties. My thyroid and vit D were the only things that were not approx in the middle of normal ranges.

I suspect she gave me this because if it does work for me, it's really cheap. $8 for a month is not bad. If I don't feel any difference after a couple weeks, I'll call and insist on either changing the type or upping the dose. I do not have an antibody problem, so the hope is that I will not need heavy doses or to be on this for life. Hopefully my thyroid just needs a midlife/post pregnancy jump boost to get it going again better on its own. At least, that is what she said no antibodies can suggest.

It might just be a post partum thing then, sometimes that happens. I have a friend that has went through that with multiple pregnancies, it has taken a couple of years for hers to bounce back.

I'd be leary of them saying iron is wonderful, usually their standards are way too low. Ferritin should be 70+ It is unusual to be *that* hypo without some iron issues.

Fwiw Naturethroid, which is naturally dessicated thyroid with all the hormones is about the same price.

My vit d was also really low and I'm on a mega weekly dose of that too.

Just to be sure, you are taking D3 and not D2, aren't you? From what I have seen, almost all prescriptions are for D2, which does no good whatsoever. You need D3, which you can get otc anywhere that sells supplements. We take Vitacost brand.

Just to be sure, you are taking D3 and not D2, aren't you? From what I have seen, almost all prescriptions are for D2, which does no good whatsoever. You need D3, which you can get otc anywhere that sells supplements. We take Vitacost brand.

Yes I'm sure. It says D3 in a 1/2 in bold black font in the front of the package. lol

• Like 1