Menu

The Learning Curve Teachers Lounge 8-15-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Morning, all! Welcome to the Lounge!

Today's theme stems from the fact that there always seems to be a learning curve with anything new

and sometimes that can be frustrating. For example, I run a small business from my home. Part of this

entails meeting with potential new clients. I had an appointment set for 0930 this morning, so I got up early

to get other things done including some personal study before I go out to my appointment. Right after I 

woke up and turned the phone off airplane mode, I see this person has messaged me (as in Facebook Messenger)

that she has to cancel. She couldn't have called (she does have my number)? I realize I'm a new entity to 

this gal but how do you learn anything about what you're seeking unless you put the effort into learning about it?

She said she wants to earn money through part time jobs for school. I guess actions really do speak louder than words.

Yes, something may have changed last minute. This is just my pre-coffee frustration speaking.  :p

Did you have anything scheduled for today that was cancelled or rescheduled? Here: see above. On a side note, this did give

me a little extra time this morning so I was able to bake some banana muffins for breakfast.

What's for breakfast today? Here: banana muffins for the kids and I. I stopped making enough to include my husband because he

won't eat them if he knows they're gluten free.  :001_rolleyes: Yumm! They just came out of the oven!

Have you started anything new this year that took a bit of time to learn? Here: I did get a new phone earlier in the year, switching from my iPhone

to an Android. I much prefer the iPhone but the Android was more in my budget at the time. However, there was definitely a learning curve, and still it.

My 16GB Android is very close to being out of memory. My iPhone didn't fill up THAT quickly from what I remember!

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 2

Reschedule/Cancel: Nope.  This week doesn't have much scheduled anyway which is good since I have to play mom taxi three mornings to get Cameron to and from work.

Breakfast: Ham steak and cinnamon apples.

New This Year: Not that I can think of...

• Like 1

oh, ham steak and cinnamon apples! Sounds yummy! Any particular brand of ham?  Do you bake the apples or 

just slice 'em up raw and sprinkle with cinnamon?

It's whatever brand the grocery store has.  Smithfield probably?  I peel the apples and then dice them and then cook them on the stove with some brown sugar and cinnamon.  Usually, I cook them until the apples are soft, but this morning I accidentally let them go too long and the brown sugar caramelized and so it ended up a happy accident.  They were so good!

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, Butter! I'll probably have to wait until Boar's Head is offering whole Sweet Slice hams again.

That's what of the few hams that does not have dextrose ( a corn derivative ) in it. But that sounds delicious! Maybe

we'll do something like that for Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

I was thinking this past week how my daughter did a weekend up north for her birthday last year - and how God 

provided for that amazingly! I wish we could do that again this year! However, she has chosen a Girls Day Out with

a few friends. I told her I will hang out in the Barnes & Noble and they can let me know when they're ready to go home!

(This will be in a couple of weeks.)

• Like 1

nothing cancelled yet, but its early. I only have one thing planned. the older boys are going to Teen Night at the library in our town at 3:45, which seems a bit early to me, but whatever. I don't know what they will do there or how long they will stay. I hope there are some actual teen for Ben to meet. Possibly his friends from the summer. He needs a cell phone so that he can keep in touch. 

I need to call some doctors and find out when our next appointments are. Nothing made it onto the calendar, and that's a problem. 

Breakfast for the kids is oatmeal and cereal. They make their own. I had a salad and Starbucks new instant mix from Sams Club. It's...not impressive. Not enough coffee and too much sugar. I might brew some coffee and use it as a creamer. Jeff like it, though. 

I took up Indian cooking. I'm not familiar with it, and it's been backburnered for a while. I do like it though, and My kids love it. 

I am learning a lot of home repair stuff. or relearning some of it. This week I am finally starting to work on finishing my kitchen floor. It's not a fun project, but it really needs to get done. Then I can do the good stuff. Finishing out my cabinets-maybe in a fun color, glitter backsplash, shelf over the stove, and a dinette set! 

I'm not really enjoying doing the work. I just want it finished so I can live in my house comfortably. Sigh. 

Oh, I also took up freehand knitting and crochet. I am not skilled at my craft. I am having so much trouble finding the patterns that I want and getting them to work for me. I'm trying to use up the yarn that I have, but it seems like you really need to go the other way. Choose the pattern first and then buy the yarn that goes with the pattern. Most of my yarn was given to me, and some I purchased on clearance, so just whatever was available with no real plan. Now I can't figure out what to do with it. 

So, I have the yarn, and I know what I want to wear/use/make, but finding patterns that meet all of my criteria is darn near impossible. But I have simple taste and most of what I want is super simple. I have enough skill to estimate the size of the garment that I need, and I can work a basic garment without a pattern. so far i've made a dress for Luna, a cape for my bff's girl-roughly the same size as luna, which is handy, and i'm finishing up a matching bonnet to go with the cape, from yarn her grandmother gave me, which is cool, I think. 

Next up is a large loop to be worn like this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/142637513182017863/ and like this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/142637513181869044/ 

Then some copies of things like this https://www.pinterest.com/pin/142637513182016766/ and https://www.pinterest.com/pin/142637513181917661/ and some scoodies for my boys, and ya know, whatever else i feel like whipping up. 

So not so much a learning curve as a moving off in my own direction. it's freeing really and so far, everything works, which is unusual for me. 

• Like 1

Schedule:  I had a relaxing evening scheduled, but found out I was needed to play tennis for a friend who is injured. I'm sorry she is injured, but I'm always happy to play tennis!

Breakfast:  I had my favourite and usual breakfast of yogurt and berries sprinkled with granola, with home-brewed latte. 

Learning something new:  I've had my android phone for over a year and I'm still learning how to do things on it. The learning curve is a strange shape - more like a wave.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Rescheduled or cancelled

Well, possibly our eclipse viewing! Someone in my family (no one will admit responsibility) left our eclipse glasses where the dog could get them and he chewed on the package. Only one pair is still perfect and usable. All the online providers are sold out. Millions of people are coming here to see it and we may not be able to! Dh is in line at the planetarium to see if he can get some, for an outrageous price. I ordered ours from a NASA recommend provider in the spring, very inexpensively.   :sad:  :thumbdown:

Breakfast

Fried egg sandwiches, fruit and coffee for me.

Others had the same with water, mocha or milk to drink. 

Learning

Constantly, how to get through a day with a boy with ADHD and hopefully have him do his schoolwork. Exhausting.  :confused1:  :crying:  Not a new situation, but always something new to deal with.    

On a cheerier note, I am planning to go back and relearn some computer skills that have grown rusty. Excel and PowerPoint, specifically. August is insanely busy. September will be better, I hope, and have some time for me to work on this.  

ETA: Dh took time off work and stood in the looong line to get us three new pairs of eclipse glasses. My hero! They were not expensive. Phew! 

Edited by ScoutTN

I'm definitely down for the count with something, at least for the day. I cannot afford to be sick!

But I went up to my room around 12:30 and just woke up (it's about 2:30), so I slept for close to two hours.

I just tried drinking an herbal blend of tea but my body doesn't want anymore. I think I may just chill on the couch

for awhile. I really.don't.want.to.be.sick.