Menu

Large format math text

AngelaVA

I am ISO a large format math book at the second grade level for a child with a visual motor impairment. I have been modifying Math Mammoth on my own but it's very difficult and time consuming. I need something without tiny plastic manipulatives like Math U See has because that is also a source of extreme frustration and distracts from rather than enhancing math learning in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I open pdf documents on my iPad pro using the Notability app. Within the app, I can enlarge the document and DD uses the stylus like a pencil and writes on the document.

If this visual motor impairment is chronic, maybe start looking at the iPad Pro or tablet technology because you can use the device across multiple subjects. My DD uses my device for marking sentences, audio books, mind-maps, and speech to text.

My eldest sibling was blind and used an abacus for math.

Edited by Heathermomster
  • Like 2

From my past life working with visually impaired students, There will not be any commercially available large print texts at a second grade level because the standard print used at that level is already "large" by industry standards. Starting with third grade level textbooks, the print s smaller and large print copies can usually be found if the book has been around a few years.

There is at least one company that will make custom sized enlarged book from a textbook that you provide. This is very, very expensive and the original book is destroyed in the process (binding cut off, pages cut apart etc.)

If you are wanting a hard copy that has larger print, your best bet is to make you own enlargements on a copy machine.

Edited by City Mouse

I open pdf documents on my iPad pro using the Notability app. Within the app, I can enlarge the document and DD uses the stylus like a pencil and writes on the document.

If this visual motor impairment is chronic, maybe start looking at the iPad Pro or tablet technology because you can use the device across multiple subjects. My DD uses my device for marking sentences, audio books, mind-maps, and speech to text.

My eldest sibling was blind and used an abacus for math.

Why didn't I think of this? Thank you! My son does much better with enlarged type. 

To the OP, I haven't been able to find type big enough for my son who has Down syndrome. I don't know why he needs large print, but he does--probably a processing issue. He is also left handed, so using a dry erase board doesn't work (his hand erases as he prints), so I often just rewrite math problems by hand on paper. Not ideal. I wish there was an ideal product out there that would be affordable. I am going to tryout what Heathermomster said. I don't think my son will be able to master using a stylus, but it could help for reading a textbook at least.

Mine is left handed also, she has an iPad I need to look at the app mentioned. I have another app that she was supposed to be able to do her math on but it only lets her type on a certain place and it way harder to navigate than writing on a paper would be. And then where she is only doing second grade math there is still some coloring in or drawing dots or whatnot that this app didn't do (snap something I think it was). There's also a lot of pictures which makes it really time consuming for me to copy to a white board, plus the left handed thing, she's erasing it while she's writing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk