Menu

Dog training resources for 5 yr-old rescue Chihuahua

8circles

We have had our new little family member for 2.5 weeks. He is overall very chill and gentle and easy. I understand that will probably change but for now that's what we've got. I've searched the forums and can't find the resources that I know have been mentioned many times here so I'm asking again. Sorry. He's about 5 yrs old & was picked up as a stray about 8 months ago. We don't know any other history. He looks to be pure Chihuahua. 

I will be signing him up for training classes soon but would like reputable advice for things to do at home until then. Especially for handling his fear of men. It isn't bad, but he is at times uncomfortable with DH and DS1 (14 & already low voice, big man presence). He has very low tolerance of them not being as sweet & gentle as I am IYKWIM. They pet him & feed him without any problem unless they make an unexpected move & then he bares his teeth. He snapped at DH once when DH didn't notice the teeth & continued petting. He goes out into the yard with them, with treats, but won't go on a walk with them without me. He's crate-trained, house-trained, neutered (I think that goes without saying but IDK).  Great with the kids who are also great with him. Sleeps in his crate, is crated when home alone. Doesn't play with toys, won't chew anything.

He's really cute. 

Please spam me with resources. I want to do this right.

post-9081-0-79493800-1502759678_thumb.jpg

post-9081-0-59983400-1502759679_thumb.jpg

Honestly, keep doing what you are doing and expect it to take longer. Most food should come from DH and DS, and by hand if possible. If not, have them toss it to the dog. 

So glad you chimed in because I remember you being an expert. I read about that strategy - food only coming from DH & DS14 - but I wasn't sure if it was good advice because some things can be controversial. Good to know that's legit. We'll start that tomorrow.

I think we can do this. I'm prepared to be patient. Next week, all the kids will be in public school and DH will be gone for work between 6:45 & 4:15. DS14 will be gone from about 6:30-2:45 unless he has after school activities. Right now, Jasper (that's the dog) is eating 2x day - like breakfast &  lunch. What would you recommend we do at that point? Am I overthinking?

He is ADORABLE!!!!

He looks so much like the Chihuahua I had when I was a kid. He was such a great dog!

He is so cute!

Thanks! I think so, too. Which surprises me because I've never cared for Chihuahuas. I'm more of a Saint Bernard kind of girl. But he's grown on me.

• Like 2

He is adorable!!! Such a handsome little man. I  :001_wub: Chihuahuas. Thank you for rescuing him.

I have to be honest and say I had a neutered male Chi-mix who never lost the attitude towards my husband and always preferred me. We actually had to have disarming surgery and have all his teeth removed except the molars, because he wouldn't stop biting my husband and the alternative was euthanasia.  :(

It is very good that your dog is giving a warning before snapping. That is something my dog didn't do! Like others, I recommend that the male members of your household do as much of the feeding as possible and also give lots of yummy treats. :) 

Who knows what happened to him before he came to your family. Just be patient with him. There is really no magic formula. He is his own little person, IYKWIM. Hopefully in time he will come to trust your DS and DH.

• Like 2

I'm going to third the recommendation that the guys in your family do as much of the feeding and treat-giving as possible.

Baring his teeth and growling are GOOD things. Don't punish or reprimand him for doing this. Instead, respect his cues and back off. The last thing you want is to train him to keep quiet until he's pushed past his limits and bites.

• Like 3

He is adorable!!! Such a handsome little man. I  :001_wub: Chihuahuas. Thank you for rescuing him.

I have to be honest and say I had a neutered male Chi-mix who never lost the attitude towards my husband and always preferred me. We actually had to have disarming surgery and have all his teeth removed except the molars, because he wouldn't stop biting my husband and the alternative was euthanasia.  :(

Yeah, I kind-of expect him to always to prefer me, but I do want him to like everyone. I wasn't the catalyst to getting this dog, so I feel bad being *so* preferred.

BTW, he did have some teeth extracted when he was first found - his teeth weren't good. I can't remember if it was 2 or 4 teeth.

Edited by 8circles
  • Like 1

I'm going to third the recommendation that the guys in your family do as much of the feeding and treat-giving as possible.

Baring his teeth and growling are GOOD things. Don't punish or reprimand him for doing this. Instead, respect his cues and back off. The last thing you want is to train him to keep quiet until he's pushed past his limits and bites.

That's a good point about not scolding him for growling. I need to watch that.

It just occurred to me - I'm the only girl in this family. What's going to happen to my younger 3 when they become men? Will Jasper start to fear them? They are 12, 10, & 7. He is good with them now. I pray that continues as they grow.

That's a good point about not scolding him for growling. I need to watch that.

It just occurred to me - I'm the only girl in this family. What's going to happen to my younger 3 when they become men? Will Jasper start to fear them? They are 12, 10, & 7. He is good with them now. I pray that continues as they grow.

If he's good with them now, I'm sure he won't even notice the gradual changes as they grow up.

I know you asked about feeding the dog, and I would suggest that if it's not convenient for your ds or dh to give him his meals, let them be the ones to give him his favorite treats or give him new toys.

• Like 1

Start recall training right away. Use high-quality treats (preferably dehydrated meat).

Start giving the command word ("come" or whatever you decide) when he's already coming in to you or at times when success is virtually guaranteed. Start inside. Repeat repeat repeat. When he comes, treat and praise. Keep this up until he is conditioned. many, many, many times daily. Then start in safe outdoor settings with low failure risks. Repeat.

Have everyone involved. Not just one or two family members.

The advice not to negatively correct growling is correct; however, it is worrisome behavior that indicates things could escalate to biting.

Bill

• Like 1

Start recall training right away. Use high-quality treats (preferably dehydrated meat).

Start giving the command word ("come" or whatever you decide) when he's already coming in to you or at times when success is virtually guaranteed. Start inside. Repeat repeat repeat. When he comes, treat and praise. Keep this up until he is conditioned. many, many, many times daily. Then start in safe outdoor settings with low failure risks. Repeat.

Have everyone involved. Not just one or two family members.

The advice not to negatively correct growling is correct; however, it is worrisome behavior that indicates things could escalate to biting.

Bill

Yes - we are doing the "come" thing and he is doing well. Everyone is involved. 

Yes, I'm worried about the growling/teeth baring. That's why I asked. I'm assuming it isn't unusual though for an adult dog who has at minimum, spent significant time as a stray or in shelters with possible abuse at the hands of his owners prior to that - to be fearful of some people even after he's found a safe home. That seems like a no-brainer. If we weren't willing to be patient, compassionate, & understanding then we wouldn't have gotten a rescue.

He is absolutely adorable!

We had an adopted doberman/lab mix who was fearful of adult males. He was never aggressive, but he would become very anxious if a man raised his voice or was carrying anything like a broom or shovel. When my dh would walk in the door carrying rolled up blueprints (that he uses for work), the dog would run and hide. He had obviously been beaten by a male early in his life.  :(

The dog did grow to love dh over time because dh was always very sweet and kind to him, but he was never comfortable with any other adult males. He absolutely adored our boys, who were 7 and 8 years old when we adopted him. He didn't become fearful of them as they grew into teens and their voices deepened and they got bigger and taller. Probably because he had known them since they were little, he never seemed to think of them as being scary like other males.

Good luck and I hope your new little guy gets more comfortable with your dh and ds!  :)  

• Like 2

He is absolutely adorable!

We had an adopted doberman/lab mix who was fearful of adult males. He was never aggressive, but he would become very anxious if a man raised his voice or was carrying anything like a broom or shovel. When my dh would walk in the door carrying rolled up blueprints (that he uses for work), the dog would run and hide. He had obviously been beaten by a male early in his life.  :(

The dog did grow to love dh over time because dh was always very sweet and kind to him, but he was never comfortable with any other adult males. He absolutely adored our boys, who were 7 and 8 years old when we adopted him. He didn't become fearful of them as they grew into teens and their voices deepened and they got bigger and taller. Probably because he had known them since they were little, he never seemed to think of them as being scary like other males.

Good luck and I hope your new little guy gets more comfortable with your dh and ds!  :)  

Thanks!

Your story is encouraging. 

Today went well and DH/DS14 feeding him already seems to have made a positive difference. The younger boys feed him a bit, too, but the majority was from DS14 & I fed him nothing. So we'll do this as much as we can I guess.

Thanks for all the tips - I appreciate it.

• Like 3