Menu

Loose Leaf Text Question

Familia

Students can put it into whatever type of binder they prefer.  Some prefer to take out particular chapters at a time.  I often suggest a large binder in which the student keeps the book, class notes, study materials, etc.  I think this works especially well for a problems-based course.  

• Like 2

Thank you! Using these for the first time. Had such success with reselling dc's (non) text books from liberal arts college, this is a whole different ball game. I doubt if there is much resale value in loose leaf=( After this first semester, he'll have a feel for which he prefers, LL or hardbound.

I hate looseleaf books, but yes, put them in a binder (I'm with you, 3 rings with no binder sounds disastrous!). Our college store wouldn't buy it back either, but I did have good luck selling a looseleaf book on Amazon--I just made very clear in the description that it was looseleaf, and I made sure all the pages were there, and priced it a bit less than the bound versions. Must have been a popular book because it sold quickly. This semester he has another looseleaf one, so I hope I can sell it back again. Really, who thinks this is a good idea?! (Okay, maybe publishers like it because it reduces the used market?!)

• Like 3

I hate looseleaf books, but yes, put them in a binder (I'm with you, 3 rings with no binder sounds disastrous!). Our college store wouldn't buy it back either, but I did have good luck selling a looseleaf book on Amazon--I just made very clear in the description that it was looseleaf, and I made sure all the pages were there, and priced it a bit less than the bound versions. Must have been a popular book because it sold quickly. This semester he has another looseleaf one, so I hope I can sell it back again. Really, who thinks this is a good idea?! (Okay, maybe publishers like it because it reduces the used market?!)

Why do you dislike the looseleaf books?  I have found that for my finance class, many students like it.  They can either keep all of their materials for the class together in one large binder, or they can only take out the chapters they need at the time and not carry a large, heavy book around.  Even though resell is difficult, because they pay about 1/3 the price of a hardbound book, they often come out ahead of where they would have been had they purchased a hardbound book and then tried to resell it.

• Like 1

Why do you dislike the looseleaf books?  I have found that for my finance class, many students like it.  They can either keep all of their materials for the class together in one large binder, or they can only take out the chapters they need at the time and not carry a large, heavy book around.  Even though resell is difficult, because they pay about 1/3 the price of a hardbound book, they often come out ahead of where they would have been had they purchased a hardbound book and then tried to resell it.

I've never seen a looseleaf book (in the two that I have experienced so far!) that was 1/3 the price of a bound book. That would definitely make me more interested! In our experience they are still very expensive books for something that is difficult to resell. I like to support our college store when I can, because their profits all go to support extra curriculars. So, if something is close in price, I just buy and resell there vs. going on Amazon. I actually started going on Amazon after a looseleaf book last year--the local store only carried that version and the instructor didn't know students couldn't return them or buy them used until students told her at the end of the semester. I ended up selling on Amazon, but the price on that one for a loose-leaf book was not much of a discount over the regular purchase price--only about $20 difference (and we had to buy a binder). 

The loose leaf book I purchased this year (on Amazon) was about 30% off the bound price on Amazon--so, yeah, some savings but not a lot and I'm gambling that I'll be able to resell. Again the local store didn't have the bound version at all. Amazon's prices are so variable though, that right now they are listing a bound book price for the SAME that they offered the loose leaf book when I purchased it a couple of weeks ago. 

Anyway--for the two books we've had to get, it's been a lot more hassle for not much savings on book 1, and perhaps it will turn out to be no savings (or a loss) on book 2...we'll see what prices look like at the end of the semester!

I think for the organized student, the looseleaf offers many management possibilities. Not sure if that is the case here. For a student used to organizing their notes, not the text too, it seems like another thing to deal with or lose track of. Plus, a lot of binders seem more unwieldy to carry around.

Not seeing a savings of more than $15-30 over the (well over $100) hardbound price for any of dc's books. 3 classes are only offering looseleaf.

BTW, I tried to edit my last post instead of another post. Does anyone know why my 'edits' or 'quotes' are not working?

This is what I see when I try to edit:

• Like 2

I had to buy a looseleaf book for my son's math class that will cover two semesters. I don't like how thin the pages are and know that he'll likely rip many of the pages at the holes, and I'm really hoping that his younger brother will be able to use the book next year. However, it is nice to be able to take out the chapters he doesn't need until next semester and make it lighter. 

I did a quick look-up on Amazon and the looseleaf is $180 new and the hardbound is $225 new. 

• Like 2

I just looked at the publisher's site for one of the books that I use and the looseleaf version of the book can be purchased for about $100 and the hard-bound version is about $200 for the current edition.  If you are looking at the publishers' websites, often the looseleaf version is listed as a "student value edition." 

• Like 1

I've never seen a looseleaf book (in the two that I have experienced so far!) that was 1/3 the price of a bound book.  

Me, either. It's never even been close to half the price. 

We did buy a looseleaf version one year when it was the only one readily available in time. dd is very neat and organize (where her books are concerned, lol) but we still felt it necessary to put them in page binders and then in folders by chapter. Admittedly, we cannot stand stained or wrinkled pages, but I do not see how plain old loose pages would have done well even in a folder.

We were able to resell it, but I wouldn't voluntarily go through that hassle again. Because dd prefers an actual book, and there has been no significant savings, it's been an easy decision so far.  

• Like 1

The looseleaf we had to buy this semester was not 1/3 the price of what a bound book would be. Unless the bound book costs $300, which is more than any textbook I've seen. It's a total ripoff IMHO.

• Like 3

Not seeing a savings of more than $15-30 over the (well over $100) hardbound price for any of dc's books. 

I never see much savings either and the bookstore won't buy back. I have sold some on Ebay, but it is a bigger loss than buying a bound book would be.

Our local CC used a lot of these and I'm in the hate camp. They are a nuisance, do lose pages more easily, binders are big and bulky, and cost more in the long run. I can't come up with a single positive. 

• Like 3

I think for the organized student, the looseleaf offers many management possibilities. Not sure if that is the case here. For a student used to organizing their notes, not the text too, it seems like another thing to deal with or lose track of. Plus, a lot of binders seem more unwieldy to carry around.

The first one we bought was for a humanities class--and I don't think it really wouldn't make sense to mix notes in with the book in that case. I can see how something like a finance or math book might make more sense--you can put your work right in the book where the questions are. The one this semester IS for a finance class, so I'll see if that ends up being the case for ds. Maybe it will change my opinion a bit, LOL!

I just looked at the publisher's site for one of the books that I use and the looseleaf version of the book can be purchased for about $100 and the hard-bound version is about $200 for the current edition.  If you are looking at the publishers' websites, often the looseleaf version is listed as a "student value edition." 

Wow, I wish! That would be a good deal if the looseleaf is popular enough to be resold easily. (If not, the hard-bound will probably resell for over $100 and make that more economical. Unless the student knows they will write in it, which might be the case for a finance book! I do encourage my kids to write/highlight in any book they need to, and that getting first use, rather than resale value, is the first priority.)

• Like 1

Wow, I'm surprised you had a successful sell on Amazon for this. We tried to sell my daughter's and the buyer complained because it was loose-leafed. It clearly stated in the description that it was. Amazon refunded the buyer and had them keep the book. So we were out both book and money. Last time we sold through Amazon.

Wow, I'm surprised you had a successful sell on Amazon for this. We tried to sell my daughter's and the buyer complained because it was loose-leafed. It clearly stated in the description that it was. Amazon refunded the buyer and had them keep the book. So we were out both book and money. Last time we sold through Amazon.

Wow, that would be so disappointing! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of happening! I actually contacted the buyer to make sure they knew it was loose leaf before I shipped. 

Not only will the bookstore not buy them back at the end of the semester as used, they won't accept them as a return if the shrinkwrap has been opened, so the student dare not open the book prior to the first day of class when they can find out if they will indeed need the book or won't be dropping the class for some reason.

Often looseleaf texts are custom-done for the particular college, raising the price.

They cannot be rented.

Both of the looseleaf books my daughter had to buy this semester also had required online codes, which is another issue.

They cannot realistically be resold for reuse, as has been pointed out, so require new resources to produce and are less environmentally friendly.

Our book costs this semester:

English  ---renting used ---$30

World civ ---renting used ----$16

Am govt ---- looseleaf with code, new --- $ 154 -- no other format option available at all

Statistics ----looseleaf with code, new --- $189 

The CC here seems to use either e-texts, looseleaf, or a combo pack of both. Often "custom edition for X community college" too-making finding a used copy on Amazon basically impossible. It kind of feels like they're saying "you don't spend much on tuition, so have textbooks you can't rent or resell!" Except for Spanish, which uses one hardbound book for all four semesters readily available used. DD hasn't started the class yet, but I think the prof is already MY favorite!!

I bought a couple of those binders that zip around the sides to use for classes with loose leaf books, and then at the end of the semester, move the stuff into less expensive ones for at home reference. I figure that gives less chance of part of the book being lost. Way too expensive to lose pages. And hole reinforcement stickers, because some of those looseleaf books have awfully fragile pages...

• Like 2

Last semester, the only book option was loose leaf for ds18's pre-calc class.  He hated it, and when I looked at it over the summer pages were falling out, and he's easy on his stuff.

We were just at the CC bookstore for ds18's & ds16's books for this semester, and I checked out the price difference between hardbound and loose leaf.  The price difference was only about $30-$50 dollars less for the loose leaf.

Edited by JudoMom

I would suggest always checking the publisher's website to see about purchasing directly from the publisher (especially if you are considering purchasing new or renting). I have found that the difference in the bookstore for a hardbound, etext, or looseleaf version may be negligible, while the pricing difference from the publisher may be significant.  I even had one semester where the satellite campus was charging 50% more for the same exact than it was at the main campus bookstore.  I had to get the department chair involved to get the student's on the satellite campus to get their "mispriced" book refunded.  I only discovered this because I had a student who switched sections between the two campuses (I was teaching the same class with the same book on the two different campuses) and she was talking about the cost of the book with her classmates.

Wow, that would be so disappointing! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of happening! I actually contacted the buyer to make sure they knew it was loose leaf before I shipped. 

Thanks for the tip, I will contact the buyer before shipment if we end up (being about to) selling.

Both of the looseleaf books my daughter had to buy this semester also had required online codes, which is another issue.

Don't even get me started on codes...

I would suggest always checking the publisher's website to see about purchasing directly from the publisher 

Thank you, I would have never thought to look up the publisher directly.