Menu

Holding Back A Grade - Homeschool

We live in Florida. 

My second to youngest DD is technically supposed to be going into 3rd grade - she's no where near ready.

We pulled her out of public school in March after multiple years of failing IEP goals and no progress. We're making more progress, but I'd like to keep her in second grade another year.

Any ideas what that process is?

Thanks!

What are the homeschooling laws in Florida?  Do you have to file anything?

This really will depend on the state.  Hopefully someone else will know more about Florida.  I know nothing.

I will say that theoretically since you are now homeschooling you would simply keep teaching her where she is at.  Even if you have to file something, usually with homeschooling you just need to use the material that will work for your child.  Since she isn't in High School this is a lot less of an issue in most states.  

I did just skim a bit about homeschooling in Florida and it seems you have more regulations that I do.  Is there anyone locally that you know that is homeschooling and could more accurately advise you?

We don't have to declare a grade in Florida, so you don't have to do anything. Since she has been in public, they will continue to assume that she's progressing according to where she was when you pulled her out, so if you put her back in school at some point they will need to know then. As long as you are homeschooling the only requirement for the annual evaluation is "progress commensurate with ability." Beyond that, you need name, address, birthdate, and parent names--no stated grade level is required. Just teach her where she is and call it whatever grade you like.

Edited by mom2att
  • Like 7

Is your sig up to date? A 7 yo doesn't need to be rising 3rd. Does FL have a late cutoff? 

We really ought to be grade adjusting my ds and haven't, sigh. One thing to think about is camp and how she fits in socially. If she fits in socially with her peers and you want her to be able to go to things with those social peers, then I would not grade adjust yet. Like here, rising 4th is the minimum to go away to a popular summer camp. So if I grade adjusted my ds this year, as a rising 3rd grader, he wouldn't get to go to camp with his friends (how many friends, what friends, that's another discussion) next summer. If I grade adjust later, he can go to camp with his friends. Same for sports, seeing if grade levels are cutoffs.

There's actually data showing that grade retention for *academics* does not improve academics. It discourages the kids and the data shows can make it worse. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but there you go. We've had threads on it and you can find data saying that.

My ds will probably need a grade adjust. He's definitely not functioning as a 3rd grader going into this year, mercy. But the ps didn't want to adjust yet for his IEP, even though it's very obvious he's behind. He's also socially behind, emotionally behind because of the ASD, and that's why we'll adjust. I think for a more socially typical child who maybe fits in with their peers and wants to be with their peers, I would be inclined to wait a year, see how your interventions go, teach her where she's at. Some kids jump quite a bit in one year with the strong intervention. 

Is it actually a problem for *her* to be labeled 3rd? For me, the disconnect and the issue is *me*. It's awkward to think to myself rising 3rd not doing anything you expect of rising 3rd. However I also think it's a statement of hey, let's see where he CAN get to, let's not assume where he's going to be. Even my ds can be really, really surprising. And I *do* think it would discourage him at this age. Or maybe he wouldn't even notice, given his autism. But whatever. Since that's what it says on his IEP (and since I have to have the IEP), I'm trying to embrace it. Technically I suppose I can buck it at some point and change his grade. I just haven't decided to yet. The camp/social thing really was factoring in my mind.

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 1

If you're using a cover school (since FL is one of the only other states besides TN that has that option), I know Home Life is more than willing to let you declare your DC's grade to be whatever you want, so long as you can back it up. They are very comfortable with retention, or with moving a child who has been retained back up later. They're a little more wary on acceleration past that point, but will do it.

• Like 1

As a homeschooler you teach whatever is developmentally appropriate for the child. They may be working a year ahead in math and a year behind in writing. There is no need to label the grade level. Meet her where she is at, if she is behind, spend more time in that subject. Many curriculums have placement tests. I would look at and pick curriculum that seems like a good fit and place her based on the placement tests. 

You may need a grade for social situations, and if she maintains an IEP it will state a grade. It's not like it's an irrelevant question. My ds has a grade marked on his IEP, and it's a legal document with legal consequences. Like he has to take the idiotic state testing this year because we've listed him as 3rd. It actually has consequences. Not for everyone everywhere, but for some people in some situations.

And yeah, before my ds was old enough to catch on, I just told him to tell people he was in COLLEGE. :D  He was listening to college lectures from Teaching Company. It was just as easy to say he was in college as K5, as neither really fit.  :lol:

SaveSave

Edited by OhElizabeth