Menu

Do we have a Game of Thrones social group?--many spoilers

Moxie

I've had issues with the show for about the last three seasons.

I don't remember if it was last season or the one before when dh said they passed the books. I think they have general outlines from Martin about what's going to happen but otherwise they've been going their own way. He did talk about some major differences even before they passed the currently written novels.

I don't remember if it was last season or the one before when dh said they passed the books. I think they have general outlines from Martin about what's going to happen but otherwise they've been going their own way. He did talk about some major differences even before they passed the currently written novels.

Well, they said they had passed them the season before last, but I felt like most of last season wasn't beyond what had been written.  They chose not to use a lot of it.

I fully expected they would need to streamline much of the later books but I think they used it as an excuse to some extent, because some off what they replaced it with was terrible - the Dorne parts in particular were really poor quality.

It seems like the dialogue went downhill without Martin's templates, it started to sound very modern, and there was a lot more pandering to audience expectations and use of in-jokes, that kind of thing.  This season in particular there are issues with the plausibility of certain events, too.

I'm not a fen of Benioff or Weiss, and they really seem to be driving the bus now.

They have some great moments and beautiful visual effects, but I find I'm stressed watching episodes because there are all these very jarring elements.

Do we want to take bets on whether JRRM will ever finish writing the series? I seriously doubt he will or even that he plans to. I think he gave his work to show business and is just cashing the checks now.

I don't think he will and I don't particularly want him to if it is going to play out the same way as the show. I really like the books but don't need to read the last ones if the show is covering them

• Like 1

Do we want to take bets on whether JRRM will ever finish writing the series?  I seriously doubt he will or even that he plans to.  I think he gave his work to show business and is just cashing the checks now.  

He's been putting it off for so long that I'm inclined to agree with you. 

• Like 1

Do we want to take bets on whether JRRM will ever finish writing the series?  I seriously doubt he will or even that he plans to.  I think he gave his work to show business and is just cashing the checks now.  

I'd say, maybe.  I suspect he's got the next one largely finished, based on things like pre-release chapters and such.  

And it may be that with that one out, there next will follow a little more naturally, because things are moving toward a a wrap-up of the things that have gone on before - there may be fewer decisions to make.

Of course if he kicks the bucket that would put a crimp in his writing.  And it doesn't seem like he's ever been willing to concentrate on only one project, which is fair enough IMO.

I would read them - I think they will be significantly different to what has happened in the show, and likely more substantial.

• Like 1

I have read the books and watch the show. I am annoyed they have shortened the number of episodes for this season and the next. It feels so rushed. I believe Benioff & Weiss have a new project and only care about it now. They seem to just want to wrap up GoT as quick as they can and move on to their next project. This past season reflects that in my opinion. I would want to join a social group for GoT or discuss here.

Ok, let's talk here. Spoilers below.

Anyone else think that catching a dead guy to prove to Cersie that the dead are coming is a super dumb idea???

Why don't they fly the dragons to the army of the dead and wipe them out with fire??

• Like 6

Anyone else think that catching a dead guy to prove to Cersie that the dead are coming is a super dumb idea???

Why don't they fly the dragons to the army of the dead and wipe them out with fire??

Yes,royally dumb. But D wouldn't risk her dragons on something she knows nothing about.

Spoiler....

Anyone think she (Cersie) is actually pregnant?

Any bets on who will kill her? I hope it is Jamie.

I think she is lying about being pregnant. I think she felt like she was losing the control she used to have on Jaime. I don't think Jaime would ever kill her. What if Arya uses her many faces ability (or whatever it is called) and appears as Jaime to get close and kill Cersei...

Spoiler....

Anyone think she (Cersie) is actually pregnant?

Any bets on who will kill her? I hope it is Jamie.

Cersei being pregnant doesn't match up with what the witch told her when she was a little girl. The witch said she'd have 3 children and that they'd all die, which has happened. Based on that, I'm thinking either her pregnancy is fake, or it doesn't go full term.

I hope Jamie kills her. I'm kind of done with the Cersei storyline. I don't find that it adds that much value at this point, but maybe I'm missing something.

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 3

I think it's really dumb. But, I'm still looking forward to watching it. I'm pretty sure they're not all going to make it, so it'll be interesting to see who survives and who doesn't.

I think it's really dumb. But, I'm still looking forward to watching it. I'm pretty sure they're not all going to make it, so it'll be interesting to see who survives and who doesn't.

DH's office is playing a game. Every week, each person picks 4 people who will die. He's not doing well so far.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 3

I am 99% sure Jaime will kill her - that's what's been foreshadowed in the prophesy by the witch - and no other children, for sure.  Her tragedy in part is thinking that it could only be Tyrion, and that shapes all her actions and interpretation of events.

It makes I think for a nice kind of symmetry, since Jaime killed the Mad King for the same sort of thing that she's been up to.  I would guess that he'll probably die at the same time - they've never really been whole, separate people.

• Like 2

I am 99% sure Jaime will kill her - that's what's been foreshadowed in the prophesy by the witch - and no other children, for sure. Her tragedy in part is thinking that it could only be Tyrion, and that shapes all her actions and interpretation of events.

It makes I think for a nice kind of symmetry, since Jaime killed the Mad King for the same sort of thing that she's been up to. I would guess that he'll probably die at the same time - they've never really been whole, separate people.

Hmm I forgot that was part of the prophecy.

Hmm I forgot that was part of the prophecy.

Yes, the prophecy says she'll be killed by her little brother. Jamie was born second.

I imagine Jamie will kill her and then himself or let himself be killed. He can't exist without her.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 3

I don't think the valonqar (little brother) prophecy was talked about in the show, only the books, right? I'm wondering if that gives the show more leeway on who kills Cersei. They keep mentioning how Cersei is on Arya's list, so it wouldn't surprise me if Arya kills her. While I would like Jamie to be the one to kill her, he wouldn't do it knowing she was pregnant with their child. Or maybe he kills her after finding out she faked it! I don't know...so many possibilities!

Edited by Vintage81

I don't think the valonqar (little brother) prophecy was talked about in the show, only the books, right? I'm wondering if that gives the show more leeway on who kills Cersei. They keep mentioning Arya and Cersei being on her list, so it wouldn't surprise me if Arya kills her. While I would like Jamie to be the one to kill her, he wouldn't do it knowing she was pregnant with their child. Or maybe he kills her after finding out she faked it! I don't know...so many possibilities!

Part of the prophesy was in the show - there were the scenes where she and the friend went to see the witch.  I can't remember quite what the witch said, but it turned Cersei off Tyrion, IIRC, which makes me think it did mention the valonqar.  But the show may have remained somewhat mysterious about that.

That's the sort of thing that if I were doing an adaptation, I wouldn't feel free to mess with, myself.  And actually I think the show has set it up too. ETA - that is, it seems to me that is where they are pushing those character arcs.

Jaime killed the Mad King because he thought he was going to blow up the city - he's always had a conscience, especially when he is away from his sister.  He stumbled I think after he broke with Tyrion after the trial, he sort of regressed, though this always seems a bit more wishy-washy in the show, mostly because of Tyrion's part in it.  

I can see Jaime killing her even if she was pregnant - maybe even especially then, to prevent another Joffery.  Or even another Tommen - a woman who drives her son to suicide out of jealousy isn't really the sort of person you want as the mother of your children.  It does put a time-line on things though - if she really is pregnant and doesn't lose the baby, it means she has less than 9 months to live.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

He's been putting it off for so long that I'm inclined to agree with you.

I hope he does! I think the show pales in comparison to the books and stopped watching the show and have been waiting for the books to finally be finished. The only thing about the show that I liked better than the books, were the settings. Sometimes I couldn't quite picture what things looked like, and I think the settings opened a little window in my mind and rounded out the books for me. Other than that, the books are leaps ahead in storytelling and character development.

It took him 7 years to write the most recently published on (was that #5? Yes, I think it was...) He works on a billion projects at the same time, so it takes him forever to finish something.

I worry that he'll croak before he's done, too.

I didn't bother reading the 5th book, though I own it, because I figure that by the time he finished #7 it would be 14 years after I'd read 5, if it takes him 7 years per book, and I'd have forgotten everything and would have to re-read it anyway. So, I finished 4 a number of years ago and have been waiting for him to finish writing so I could re-read the entire series from start to finish. Waiting for about a decade now. I really hope all my waiting isn't in vain!

I might need to write to him and ask him his plans. I need to know!

• Like 1

One possibility with the prophesy is on the show they didn't want to give away too much - they want to build up more tension and have the audience be really shocked when it happens.  They got a lot of milage out of that sort of thing with Ned's beheading and the Red Wedding.

• Like 1

Part of the prophesy was in the show - there were the scenes where she and the friend went to see the witch.  I can't remember quite what the witch said, but it turned Cersei off Tyrion, IIRC, which makes me think it did mention the valonqar.  But the show may have remained somewhat mysterious about that.

That's the sort of thing that if I were doing an adaptation, I wouldn't feel free to mess with, myself.  And actually I think the show has set it up too. ETA - that is, it seems to me that is where they are pushing those character arcs.

Jaime killed the Mad King because he thought he was going to blow up the city - he's always had a conscience, especially when he is away from his sister.  He stumbled I think after he broke with Tyrion after the trial, he sort of regressed, though this always seems a bit more wishy-washy in the show, mostly because of Tyrion's part in it.  

I can see Jaime killing her even if she was pregnant - maybe even especially then, to prevent another Joffery.  Or even another Tommen - a woman who drives her son to suicide out of jealousy isn't really the sort of person you want as the mother of your children.  It does put a time-line on things though - if she really is pregnant and doesn't lose the baby, it means she has less than 9 months to live.

This makes sense, but what confuses me is why he's still there now. Why is he fighting for her and running at dragons for her? Obviously, he loves her and is totally manipulated by her, so I understand, but still! :banghead: 

I really hope that he doesn't die whenever she does. I think there's some loose ends he needs to tie up with both Tyrion and Brienne. Plus, he's got military skills that could be useful in the fight against the white walkers (but I could also see a conflict of interest in him serving Daenerys).

• Like 1

This makes sense, but what confuses me is why he's still there now. Why is he fighting for her and running at dragons for her? Obviously, he loves her and is totally manipulated by her, so I understand, but still! :banghead:

I really hope that he doesn't die whenever she does. I think there's some loose ends he needs to tie up with both Tyrion and Brienne. Plus, he's got military skills that could be useful in the fight against the white walkers (but I could also see a conflict of interest in him serving Daenerys).

I don't know - there are a lot of people who feel that the show writers kind of mucked up in how they wrote for Jaime.  They change the timeline in ways that make it seem a little less natural, for one thing.  He also remained much more estranged from her in the book, even after he returned to King's landing.

I think the best explanation in the show is that he was attached to Tyrion, but after they broke he ended up turning back to Cersei.  The Lannisters seem to have a very hard time trusting or making alliances with anyone else, even Tywin wasn't great at it and only thought it was important in a shallow kind of way.  

Edited by Bluegoat

I thought this was hysterical.   The actor who in the episode before last (highlight to read) shot the bolt at the dragon has been getting hate mail.  

I mean really?   How can people have trouble not knowing this isn't real.  

They need to put up a thing at the end of the show "No dragons were harmed in the filming of this episode."

• Like 3

And how great is it that Jon Snow isn't illegitimate? I was so excited especially after all the crud he has taken for being so. And then Gendry is back! Still not rowing.  :lol:

Those were the two best parts for me from that episode but I also enjoyed all the little bits that are starting to add up to big bits.

Question:  How can I *legally* watch GOT online? If I need a VSP to hide the fact that I'm in Europe, I'm ok with that, but I'd rather pay for the show than attempt to get it illegally.  

And, OT, who here has ALSO read the Wheel of Time series and wants to declare if they're team Jordan or team Martin?  :-D

And how great is it that Jon Snow isn't illegitimate? I was so excited especially after all the crud he has taken for being so. And then Gendry is back! Still not rowing.  :lol:

Those were the two best parts for me from that episode but I also enjoyed all the little bits that are starting to add up to big bits.

It'll be interesting to see how Jon reacts to not only knowing he's half Stark, half Targ, but also knowing he's not a bastard. Plus, that's bound to make things really awkward between him and Dany. 

I was excited to see Gendry! I was kind of sad he didn't mention Arya to Jon, but I hope Gendry and Arya get to see marry each other soon.  ;)

• Like 3

It seems like the annulment thing will be a tv thing to me, I think it would be impossible in the books - but they did have another potential male heir that never appeared in the show, too.  They've mashed together things like that before.

But it would it mean Jon is in fact the heir.  Dany might find that disconcerting she seems pretty wrapped up in this rightful ruler business.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

1. It'll be interesting to see how Jon reacts to not only knowing he's half Stark, half Targ, but also knowing he's not a bastard. Plus, that's bound to make things really awkward between him and Dany. 

2. I was excited to see Gendry! I was kind of sad he didn't mention Arya to Jon, but I hope Gendry and Arya get to see marry each other soon.  ;)

1. I'm wondering how and when he'll find out. Gilly read that in the books and then Sam went off on wanting to do something instead of just reading stupid books, so it went right over him. So no one knows except Gilly, who doesn't get it.

2. When Sir Davos first suggested keeping Gendry's identity secret I said to dh, "But when they get back to Winterfell Arya will recognize him". Then he just ignored Davos' plan anyway and told Jon who he is.

This guy's 39th thought is what I was screaming about to dh as we watched.

52 Thoughts I Had Watching Game of Thrones This Week

I only read the first book and I like the tv show. I did attempt to read the second one but it just didn't grab me. Dh has read all of them and he still likes the show. Not everyone who read the books hates the direction the show has taken. 

Question:  How can I *legally* watch GOT online? If I need a VSP to hide the fact that I'm in Europe, I'm ok with that, but I'd rather pay for the show than attempt to get it illegally.  

You can order HBO through Amazon. There's a 7 day free trial then it's $14.99 a month after that. We ordered it just for GoT and will cancel when the season ends. I don't know if it's available in Europe. If not, then your only way to get it is from a not-legal source.

ETA: Link

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 2

1. I'm wondering how and when he'll find out. Gilly read that in the books and then Sam went off on wanting to do something instead of just reading stupid books, so it went right over him. So no one knows except Gilly, who doesn't get it.

2. When Sir Davos first suggested keeping Gendry's identity secret I said to dh, "But when they get back to Winterfell Arya will recognize him". Then he just ignored Davos' plan anyway and told Jon who he is.

I only read the first book and I like the tv show. I did attempt to read the second one but it just didn't grab me. Dh has read all of them and he still likes the show. Not everyone who read the books hates the direction the show has taken.

Bran knows, right?

It seems like the annulment thing will be a tv thing to me, I think it would be impossible in the books - but they did have another potential male heir that never appeared in the show, too.  They've mashed together things like that before.

But it would it mean Jon is in fact the heir.  Dany might find that disconcerting she seems pretty wrapped up in this rightful ruler business.

This is interesting because wasn't Robert's whole rebellion started because he thought Lyanna was kidnapped by Rhaegar? If they were actually married, then the rebellion would have been based on a lie. I haven't read the books, I've just read lots of stuff online, so I don't know all the in and outs of it. Not that any of that matters at this point, I guess. It just seems like that would be a huge departure from the books (if I'm understanding things correctly). 

That article was hilarious! I was screaming the same thing at Sam. It's like one of the most important pieces of information in Games of Thrones history, and he's babbling on! Poor Gilly. Hopefully Sam will meet up with Bran and they can figure it all out. 

I also really liked the scene with Jon and Drogon. I'm kind of surprised Dany didn't pickup on something there. I guess she was all googly-eyed :001_wub: at Jon because Drogon was allowing Jon to pet him, but I'm curious as to why she didn't wonder why that was. It didn't seem like she figured out the dragon smelled dragon blood. 

Edited by Vintage81
  • Like 1

I also really liked the scene with Jon and Drogon. I'm kind of surprised Dany didn't pickup on something there. I guess she was all googly-eyed :001_wub: at Jon because Drogon was allowing Jon to pet him, but I'm curious as to why she didn't wonder why that was. It didn't seem like she figured out the dragon smelled dragon blood. 

Dh has been waiting for Jon to come in contact with one of the dragons and come away unscathed. Needless to say he was thrilled about that scene. He even theorizes that their fire won't harm him. 

• Like 2

This is interesting because wasn't Robert's whole rebellion started because he thought Lyanna was kidnapped by Rhaegar? If they were actually married, then the rebellion would have been based on a lie. I haven't read the books, I've just read lots of stuff online, so I don't know all the in and outs of it. Not that any of that matters at this point, I guess. It just seems like that would be a huge departure from the books (if I'm understanding things correctly). 

Both Robert and the Starks believed that Lyanna was kidnapped by Rhaegar. But there is nothing in the books to say that she definitely didn't go willingly. The rebellion was partially over Lyanna (especially for Robert) but also was instigated by Aerys' brutal execution of Brandon and Rickard Stark when they rode to King's Landing to demand that Lyanna be returned and Rhaegar punished.

There are certainly hints in the book that Lyanna went willingly with Rhaegar and was in love with him. She was moved to tears by Rhaegar's music at the tourney at Harrenhal, for example. Lyanna was also well-known for having a mind of her own (think Arya).

GRRM is pretty good at drawing out the ways in which people lie to each other and to themselves, and he may want us to see Robert claiming to defend Lyanna's honor, while really he's just defending his own.

• Like 1

So many questions:  

Who will publish the next book in a long-awaited series first:  JRRM or Patrick Rothfuss?

Will either ever publish another book?

Would JRRM ever consent to someone else writing, or ghost-writing the last books? Seems like the TV show is essentially doing this.

I hadn't thought about this before, but will there be an ending with a sense of finality?  Seems like whoever ends up on the Iron throne is going to have several families coming after them for a  long time.

• Like 2

One theory that has been discussed is that the wording of the prophesy and the term, "valonqar" which means, "little brother," would specifically refer to someone of High Valyrian blood. The only "Little brother" at that time of Valerian blood would be Jon Snow.

But that is just a theory, I am of the opinion that Jaime will kill her. I don't think she is really pregnant, I think she is just trying to control Jaime.

Question: How can I *legally* watch GOT online? If I need a VSP to hide the fact that I'm in Europe, I'm ok with that, but I'd rather pay for the show than attempt to get it illegally.

And, OT, who here has ALSO read the Wheel of Time series and wants to declare if they're team Jordan or team Martin? :-D

I'm in Aus and we can get it on Google Play. Season 7 is released on the 29th (13 more days!)