Menu

Trying to get college choices going

Laura Corin

Hobbes isn't home educated any more - I hope it's okay if I join the board.

He's in his last year of the IB and needs to get his applications in by December (actually January, but the school needs time to do their end of the UK common app).  I'm trying to get him to think about it and today it all came together.  He knows that he wants to study English and French, that he wants to be in a happening big city (but not London), and that there has to be a year abroad as part of the course.  The university also has to be willing for him to take a gap year.  So we found five or six courses that might be possible and he really started to think about course content and how he wanted to study.  He found out the open day dates and will be doing some touring in the next month or so.

Here we go....

• Like 12

Of course it is still ok Laura! Good luck to you and Hobbes. I hope things go just as well for him as they did for Calvin! Not that it will be the same, but hopefully just as good in his own way.

Thanks. He is looking for a different kind of experience. I think it's helpful that they want to study in different ways at different places, even though both are interested in English.

• Like 1

Yes, deep breath.

My oldest is working on his applications this month.  I just this minute finished his counselor letter.  I kept putting it off because I am a bit nervous about the whole thing. He's a strong student, but I have the sense that I might mess this all up!  It was making me cranky, so this morning, when everyone else was at church camp, I made myself do it.

I know that it will work out for both our sons.  It just feels a bit big and overwhelming.  Also, choosing what schools to focus on is closing doors to other opportunities and paths.  I know in my head that it doesn't matter that much, but. . . . .

• Like 1

I didn't know Cambridge brought back entrance exams starting last year. I knew Oxford has entrance exams. I think UCAS limiting to five choices can be a good thing.

Good luck in your son's college search.

ETA:

My friends based in London are talking about the recent A levels results. They have British citizenship.

Edited by Arcadia