Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW33: Happy Birthday Alfred Corn

Robin M

Recently, on a whim (& perhaps as a reflection of my personal life the past year or more), I searched the library catalog for all books that had the word "f*ck" in the title. There are a few & I requested every last one of them. :lol:

Tonight, I sat down and read The Life-Changing Magic of Not Giving a F*ck by Sarah Knight. The cover has a nice little call-out titled "A Practical Parody". And it is.

26200068.jpg

First, kudos to the publishing details (fonts, book size, layout, style of writing, etc...) in its parody of the famous Marie Kondo book. Imo, this is almost-but-not-quite on the level of Grady Hendrix who did an awesome Ikea-style catalog parody book (Horrorstör) & another great high school yearbook layout (My Best Friend's Exorcism) in those stylistic respects. Nonetheless, A+ for all those cool little details.

I had fun reading it. It's a mix of sarcasm, humor, & actual practical advice in a sort-of profanely twisted Miss Manners book.

I am sometimes a person who gives a f*ck, other times not so much. My life has been so crazy the past two years that I've developed anxiety which I would probably describe as situational (self-diagnosing here, meaning I don't think I really suffered from anxiety prior to this time in my life & I think I have it now because of certain situational events). As there is light at the end of my tunnel (& assuming that it's not an oncoming, speeding train on the wrong track barreling toward me), my anxiety is lessening & is less frequent. So, some of the advice is actually a nice reminder to me of some things I shouldn't worry about or spend time on... & that it's ok to do that. I know I know that already, but when anxiety rears up, it is sometimes hard to actually implement that self-care type of knowledge, kwim? I appreciate the reminder for myself.

Overall, I'd call it an entertaining, light read with some practical advice.

N.B. Obviously, if you are offended by the use of the word f*ck, you should probably skip this book.

I enjoyed this one too. (I also enjoyed Kondo's book, so like you I give f*cks when needed.)

• Like 7

I've been doing that thing again, the thing where I have five books to read from each of two different library systems, plus a new book club book, plus the partway-in loss of interest on a few different books.

I am reading Strangers in Their Own Land on my kindle. It's good, but I'm getting frustrated with some of the people interviewed and I feel like I can't finish. I quit listening to The Snowball while exercising. I finished about 3/4, but it was due back and I just didn't care overly much. I'm still reading A Mind for Numbers, which I like very much, but I can't really plow through that book; the content needs to marinate every few days. I picked up Better Than Before from the library. This author really gets on my nerves. She acts like she thinks she some kind of genius for coming up with her "Four Strategies" of habit formation. She also name-drops and status-drops, which really bugs me. With that said, I do agree with what I have read. I am on vacation right now and brought that book with me. The book I'm really wild about right now, though, is a new book I had reserved at the library: Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat. It is a fascinating book about cooking,science. It is exactly my kind of thing: take something creative, but put rules in place to explain why it works. Heaven. I am reading it on the beach with my newly-acquired beautiful postcard. (Thank you so much, Nan!)

My IRL book club book for this month is called Tracks, about a woman's trek across the Australian Outback. It sounds interesting, but I haven't begun yet.

eTA: add tags

Gretchen Rubin bugs me too. I can't stand her writing style. I read that book and found parts helpful but gave myself permission to never try another book of hers. I slogged through The Happoness Project and it was a complete waste of time.

• Like 3