Menu

Keto vs Paleo... Questions

IndigoGlitter

I have started a weight loss wagr through healthywage.com. I am looking at changing my diet and the keto and paleo diets come up the most. I understand the differences but I am looking for a few things.

1. Which, in your opinion, is more kid friendly? I have a 19yo, 15yo and 9yo to feed.

2. Which has easier meals. I really, really don't want to spend 4 hours a day fixing/cooking food. I have to work, clean, school etc.

3. Which, again in your opinion, will cause weight loss faster?

4. Which would actually be more realistic to follow long term, like forever type long term?

I am ready to throw everything (well OK almost everything) in the cupboard away (there isn't much, we live in an RV) and start fresh.

Tips? Advice?

TIA!

I've done a low carb diet for many months while feeding a family.  I just add carbs for them.  So, for example, if I have meat and a vegetable, they have meat, vegetable, and rice (or potato or bread or whatever).  Your kids are old enough to make their own breakfasts and lunches, so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 3

1&4 Paleo

2&3 Keto

Although adapting keto to moderate low carb isome very slight adjustments and long term maintainable way of eating. So maybe they are a tie. But keto forever? Not realistical for most people. Moderate low carb 75-100g? TOtally doable.

• Like 1

I have started a weight loss wagr through healthywage.com. I am looking at changing my diet and the keto and paleo diets come up the most. I understand the differences but I am looking for a few things.

1. Which, in your opinion, is more kid friendly? I have a 19yo, 15yo and 9yo to feed.

2. Which has easier meals. I really, really don't want to spend 4 hours a day fixing/cooking food. I have to work, clean, school etc.

4. Which would actually be more realistic to follow long term, like forever type long term?

I am ready to throw everything (well OK almost everything) in the cupboard away (there isn't much, we live in an RV) and start fresh.

Tips? Advice?

TIA!

It all depends what you eat and how your body responds.

I do cycles of low carb, keto, and fasting (primarily for the benefit of autophagy and to kill off white blood cells and replace them with new stem cells). Proper fasting is an excellent way to lose fat. The first area to go is the fat around and inside the internal organs. Valter Longo talks about this if you want to learn more.

Keto would probably be a faster way to lose weight than paleo. You could eat the typical keto foods -- avocado, nuts, olives, eggs, cheese, low carb veggies, etc. -- and your kids could have the same but a bit more veggies, fruit and grains. A lot of people find ways to adjust meals for family members.

I don't eat excess protein but around age 65 I'll increase it then.

• Like 2

Paleo. I ate ketogenic for 12 years, but I never even attempted to put my daughter on it. I don't think I would put a child or teen on it unless it was necessary for epilepsy or some other medical condition.

I don't know, they seem about the same to me. There are simple ketogenic meals and complicated ketogenic meals. There are simple paleo meals and complicated paleo meals. You can adapt either one to the way you cook, I suspect.

Keto.

Paleo. Paleo is a very healthy diet, and it has a broader variety of foods from which to choose. Keto, for all the great things that it has going for it, can mess up your thyroid and sex hormones. This is purely anecdotal, but in my experience, men do better on keto than women do. And people of either sex with thyroid problems have to be very careful with keto.

• Like 1

With kids especially, I think, they have so much growth hormone and general energy needs, that I don't think they'll do good on keto.

Whatever you do, for the kids I would offer unlimited fruit and vegetables. Apples and baby carrots and so on as snacks, and then nuke a sweet potato or two and include it on their plate with dinner. 

And how strictly paleo are you thinking? I would also keep at least fermented dairy for the kids, yogurt and some good real cheese. And butter - butter over the sweet potato with some sharp sea salt - yum.

• Like 1

1,2, and 4 Paleo.

3 probably keto.

And I wouldnt put a child on a keto diet outside of a doctor's recommendation.

Agreeing with this, but also agreeing with Regentrude that I wouldn't put a kid on a strict keto diet at all unless it was medically necessary.  

Paleo is fine for kids, as long as they are getting their energy requirements met.  I think it makes sense to include a few of the "safer" starches for kids- rice, quinoa, etc, as well as whole-fat dairy.  

It is pretty easy for the family to eat paleo and you to eat keto.  Just make a starchy vegetable, a non starchy vegetable, and a meat, and you skip the starch.  

• Like 1

Oh, and to add:  Pretty much all paleo recipes and meals I've seen look very healthy.  A good mix of healthy fats, protein, and loads of vegetables.  I think Whole 30 is great with their meal template idea.  

Keto, on the other hand, can be done a healthy way (basically low carb paleo) or can be hacked so that the only thing that matters is grams of carb.  So it would be fine to drink a gallon of diet coke, plus eat cheesecake made with artificial sweeteners, and 40 slices of deli meat rolled around velveeta cheese sticks.  It's keto, and you'll drop weight, but it is not good for you.  

• Like 2

Definitely avoid artificial sweeteners.

A lot of recipes can be made with less sugar. I just made an easy, tasty almond flour lemon loaf yesterday with 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar. I also have a brownie recipe that uses almond flour and very little granulated sugar. After reducing/eliminating sugar, it's not surprising for old treats to taste ridiculously sweet.

• Like 1

I haven't been on these myself, but I have several adult kids who either have been or are now on paleo and keto, and my dh was on keto for a few months many years ago to see if it would help his chronic migraines.

So, I don't know the answer to #2 and #3, but from what I've observed, I'd say #1 and #4 would be paleo.

• Like 1

I do my own thing.  Basically I eat mostly lower carb foods, but don't particularly keep track of number of carbs.  I'm somewhere in between Paleo and Keto.  For example, I do eat lower carb dairy, but not much fruit.  That's basically a personal preference thing (I love cheese, but don't like most fruits).  That works well for me.

So I'm saying there is no real rule saying you have to follow either of those strictly. 

Keto will be faster, but you might prefer to allow fruit and some higher carb vegetables.  Faster is not always better if you are trying to make permanent changes. I do keep higher carb foods in the house that my family is free to eat/prepare, but I prepare and serve lower carb meals. 

• Like 1

1, 2, and 4 Paleo. 3 Keto. As someone else said, it would be easy to provide the kids Paleo carbs and eat Keto yourself.

Either way you're going to be prepping and cooking a good deal, but you can streamline and prep ahead.

I'm back to clean Keto. I don't use artificial sweeteners and track net carbs, staying under 7 per meal and 20 per day. I am trying to lose weight and ward off HBP and diabetes which run strongly in my family. Once I get beyond a certain point, I hope to introduce more carbs in the forms of fruits and non-starchy vegetables. My family eats everything. I have one vegetarian, 3 and 5 year olds who eat ???, and a picky kid...

• Like 1

Everyone has pretty much said the same things that I feel, but thought Id add my 2cents. 

My family eats paleo while I eat keto (I need to loose weight and I just feel much better eating this way). It is easy to add /take away as there are a lot of similarities. I disagree with the comment that paleo isn't good for kids, but do agree that I wouldn't put my kids on a keto diet. 

As far as cooking time, either one of these diets you will need to cook. But, like stated above, they can be as easy or as difficult as you want. Prep and planning is the most important for me! 

• Like 1

As far as more kid-friendly, paleo is. But it's really adjust keto if you want to eat keto and still have it be easy for kids by adding healthy carbs such as fruit, higher-carb veggies, honey, and higher-carb dairy. Or you can turn keto into a traditional diet but healthier foods than the SAD by adding soaked grains and legumes.

Or if your kids eat outside the home often, then you can eat keto at home and they'll get enough carbs elsewhere. We have had times where we had keto at home but between the kids eating snacks and meals at the homes of friends or relatives, pizza parties for classes, potlucks, ice cream socials, etc they got a fair amount of carbs anyway.

You didn't mention cost, but either of these diets can get pretty pricey for multiple people. I found keto to be more expensive than paleo.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 1

I think either could work with kids.

We are keto and had a child who is paleo stay with us for a week. I thought it would be easy to still cook what we eat and add in some fruit and grains for her.

For breakfast, I still made bacon and eggs for protein, but also made a smoothie from coconut cream and fruit. My kids ate both, but the friend would only eat the smoothie.

She also packed a bunch of paleo box mixes for muffins and bread and donuts.

She wouldn't eat the salad and fish with the bread though so by the end of the week she was a weepy mess of emotions due to blood sugar crashes from going all week eating only carbs even though she was technically eating paleo.

My kids didn't have any negative effects from adding a piece of her paleo bread to their dinner because they ate it with their steak and broccoli and not instead of it.

Either plan can be healthy or unhealthy depending on how it is implemented.

Edited by amy g.
  • Like 3

Either plan can be healthy or unhealthy depending on how it is implemented.

This exactly!  Some people I encounter on-line do some really nutty things (probably because they are desperate to lose weight and/or have an eating disorder).  Both of these diets can be very healthy if you eat a variety of foods.  I challenge anyone to tell me what nutrition is lacking from veg, fruit, eggs, meat, dairy, nuts (obviously there is some variation to this with keto vs paleo) that is absolutely needed from stuff like wheat/oats/rice/etc. 

• Like 3

To me it sounds like an either/or. 

Paleo is probably going to be better for us anyway, I like my homemade yogurt. I love yogurt and cheese. Though I think I need to limit that stuff. Not real sure. I haven't delved that deeply.

My middle son has GERD, I should have mentioned that at the beginning but forgot to! I was hoping one of these would be beneficial to him as well.

Off to find Paleo recipes. Going to start shopping for the paleo kind of stuff rather than willy-nilly.

If you want to lose weight and want to help your son's gut issues, I'd take a serious look at the GAPS diet. We did it for medical reasons, but it's designed to deal with issues like GERD and is more balanced (one you're on the full diet) than the typical keto diet, imo. Also encourages more wonderful, healing foods than are necessarily seen on Paleo or keto. GAPS does end up being hflc, but isn't intentionally so.

Reality is, though, for any of these diets, you will have to spend time in the kitchen.

• Like 5

Definitely avoid artificial sweeteners.

A lot of recipes can be made with less sugar. I just made an easy, tasty almond flour lemon loaf yesterday with 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar. I also have a brownie recipe that uses almond flour and very little granulated sugar. After reducing/eliminating sugar, it's not surprising for old treats to taste ridiculously sweet.

This is an aside, but would you mind sharing or linking these recipes? I can reduce sugar in a lot of our standards, but beyond a certain point I worry about the structural integrity of the finished product! I'd love a couple of tried and true recipes (and I looooove lemon loaf). 

Thanks!

:confused:  But paleo is dairy free

This. Paleo with dairy is closer to Primal (though not STRICTLY Primal). I think what we're really talking about here, though, is low-carb. Personally, I've stopped worrying about labels and am just trying to buy and cook what works for us. 

This is kind of a funny article about the topic :D

https://robbwolf.com/2012/10/24/shades-paleo/

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 2

This is an aside, but would you mind sharing or linking these recipes? I can reduce sugar in a lot of our standards, but beyond a certain point I worry about the structural integrity of the finished product! I'd love a couple of tried and true recipes (and I looooove lemon loaf).

Thanks!

The lemon loaf is FANTASTIC! Here is the link:

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2017/03/keto-lemon-sour-cream-muffins-low-carb.html

Changes I made:

Used 4 taplespoons of granulated sugar instead of the sugar substitute. You can add more at the end of mixing if it's not sweet enough.

Almond flour in place of superfine almond flour worked fine.

Grease the loaf pan and lightly dust with almond flour or use a single strip of parchment paper that runs along two sides and the bottom. Getting it out of the pan is the tricky part. It has a light texture.

I'm lazy and didn't bother with the streusel or icing.

Also, the butter must be room temp.

The lemon loaf is FANTASTIC! Here is the link:

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2017/03/keto-lemon-sour-cream-muffins-low-carb.html

Changes I made:

Used 4 taplespoons of granulated sugar instead of the sugar substitute. You can add more at the end of mixing if it's not sweet enough.

Almond flour in place of superfine almond flour worked fine.

Grease the loaf pan and lightly dust with almond flour or use a single strip of parchment paper that runs along two sides and the bottom. Getting it out of the pan is the tricky part. It has a light texture.

I'm lazy and didn't bother with the streusel or icing.

Also, the butter must be room temp.

Well. I just happen to have every single one of those ingredients in the house right now. Thank you!

It's funny, I just crossed paths with that blog yesterday and meant to go back and take a look, but forgot all about it. I'm so glad I read your post today :D

• Like 1

I am newly on a keto diet, I have dropped 17 pounds in 22 days, and haven't even started exercising as I am having back issues. I meal prep, and freeze, on the weekend for things my family won't eat. And cook some things they will during the week ( freezing leftovers for later ). It has been really easy. And I already have about a months worth of frozen meals for myself. I even found Keto ice cream and cheese cake ( although they are special treats ). I am not hungry, this is the easiest ( they don't call it a diet but a Way of Eating ) WOE I have ever done. 

• Like 2

Brownies

Cream together

1/2 cup softened butter

2 tbsp brown sugar

Beat in well

2 eggs

Mix in

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1/4 cup ground pecans

1 cup almond meal

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I use a smashed up Trader Joe's dark chocolate bar)

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so in a greased 9x9 pan.

84% fat ~ 9% protein ~ 7% carbs

• Like 1

Keto, on the other hand, can be done a healthy way (basically low carb paleo) or can be hacked so that the only thing that matters is grams of carb.  So it would be fine to drink a gallon of diet coke, plus eat cheesecake made with artificial sweeteners, and 40 slices of deli meat rolled around velveeta cheese sticks.  It's keto, and you'll drop weight, but it is not good for you.  

Oh, yikes. While keeping your macros at a certain level is Keto, and technically you could do that eating what you suggest, I don't know of anyone doing Keto who actually advocates that.  

One of the Keto FB groups I'm on recommends meals that contain 30g of protein, a bunch of fresh vegetables, and fat to taste. 

Artificial sweeteners are not widely recommended and a lot of people find that they stall weight loss. 

I find Keto a lot easier to follow because of the dairy. I really like cheese, and cream, and butter. Plus, meals that I make for my family are easier when I can include dairy. I just add a starch for them. 

• Like 1

To me it sounds like an either/or. 

Paleo is probably going to be better for us anyway, I like my homemade yogurt. I love yogurt and cheese. Though I think I need to limit that stuff. Not real sure. I haven't delved that deeply.

My middle son has GERD, I should have mentioned that at the beginning but forgot to! I was hoping one of these would be beneficial to him as well.

Off to find Paleo recipes. Going to start shopping for the paleo kind of stuff rather than willy-nilly.

You'd have to give up the dairy on Paleo. That's one reason I like Keto. I love cheese and butter and yogurt and cream. Plus, a lot of the meals I make for my family have those ingredients in them. I find eating Keto very easy - it's 90% the same foods we used to eat, but without the starch. So, I make my meatballs without bread crumbs. I don't thicken my sauces with flour. I eat rice or pasta (my kids do, though). I still make curries and stir fries and spaghetti sauce and chili (I set aside a pot and make mine bean free). We've always loved tacos here so I still make those, but I have a taco salad bowl instead - salad, taco meat, cheese, sour cream, and salsa.

Cooking Keto has not been a challenge, and once I got over bread I found that I wasn't really missing out (cheese helps).

• Like 1

Oh, yikes. While keeping your macros at a certain level is Keto, and technically you could do that eating what you suggest, I don't know of anyone doing Keto who actually advocates that.  

One of the Keto FB groups I'm on recommends meals that contain 30g of protein, a bunch of fresh vegetables, and fat to taste. 

Artificial sweeteners are not widely recommended and a lot of people find that they stall weight loss. 

I find Keto a lot easier to follow because of the dairy. I really like cheese, and cream, and butter. Plus, meals that I make for my family are easier when I can include dairy. I just add a starch for them.

Go hang out on the Reddit keto group. They are great, but the are all about the macros and weight loss

• Like 1

Brownies

Cream together

1/2 cup softened butter

2 tbsp brown sugar

Beat in well

2 eggs

Mix in

1/4 cup cocoa powder

1/4 cup ground pecans

1 cup almond meal

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (I use a smashed up Trader Joe's dark chocolate bar)

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so in a greased 9x9 pan.

84% fat ~ 9% protein ~ 7% carbs

Wow, thank you, those sound fantastic!!!

• Like 1

I haven't tried the Reddit group, but I left various groups on Facebook.  Some ppl be bat shi* crazy.  Geesh

Yup. A lot of posts about how they have only lost 5 pounds in 5 days, maybe they've killed their metabolism so should start adding in spoonfuls of straight coconut oil mixed with chocolate 5 times a day.