Menu

I still haven't picked a writing curriculum

Stibalfamily

I am starting to freak out, we are about to start our first grade year and I still haven't picked a writing/language arts curriculum. I bought WWE and just wasn't feeling it when I looked through it. It just looks meh, maybe I need to give it a chance. I guess I want a more traditional writing curriculum. Then I bought Write shop primary A. This is a better fit and I wish I liked this more. I am not super excited about this either. I want to be really excited about our writing curriculum. Any pro homeschoolers in love with a writing curriculum for first grade. I am willing to try either one or something else.

I think WWE is an excellent start, depending on your child. The longer we've been homeschooling (FWIW, this will be our 4th year), the more I see the wisdom in focusing on copywork, narration, and good literature at that age. That being said, if your child is chomping at the bit to write more, I actually think IEW's early stuff (All Things Fun and Whatever..., Bible Heroes) is pretty good. I don't have any experience with Write Shop...

Edited by JHLWTM
  • Like 1

For what it's worth I only got to Writing with Ease for third grade and I really wish I'd found it earlier for my son. It was exactly what he needed and too him from non writer to capable though not enthusiastic writer.

However, I haven't use it with my dd as she thrives on more creative open ended stuff.

I think writing with ease is perfect for a kid who likes to learn the mechanics of how to do something thoroughly and know exactly what's expected. You might want something different for an exceptionally creative or imaginative child.

• Like 1

My guess is that when you look at WWE, you're not excited because you're hoping for a program that - like most public schools - has kids writing their own little stories or essays in first grade. The thing is that a lot of homeschool programs don't believe that's the right method for teaching quality writing. Instead, you start with copywork and dictation and oral narration, effectively separating the two tasks of writing. On the one hand, you have oral work for original thinking and on the other hand, you have mechanics practiced through others' writing. These pieces come together eventually, but not yet.

That said, WWE may not be for you. I like Brave Writer - Jot It Down and Quiver of Arrows are the programs for this age. However, that may not be for you either.

• Like 4

I think there are times (I've experienced it) when the search for the perfect curriculum means that no curriculum gets done, or that you switch so much that you don't make much progress. 

There are many other approaches and curriculum out there. I found I didn't like Bravewriter (but many people do) and I ended up using a lot of narration in the elementary years and Writing With Skill for the middle school years. These don't inspire me, necessarily, but my kids' writing is improving and they are fairly happy with the process most of the time.

Emily