Menu

Lapbooking and note booking

Up til now, our note booking has been a little haphazard, and we haven't really explored lap booking.  I think I lean a little more toward note booking as lap booking, especially with kits, seems like busywork to me.

So talk to me about the pros and cons of each, specifically how it helped retention and understanding of the material.  How time consuming is it?  Did you follow a particular format?  What tools helped you, especially low cost ones?  We will definitely be doing a science notebook this year, but I am looking at whether I should incorporate either of these into history.  Looking at lap booking for my K and 3rd grader and note booking for my 3rd and 5th grader.  

Edited by AdventuresinHomeschooling

We've done the narration pages for history a la WTM, but haven't done much writing elsewhere because she is writing-resistant. Since she is starting 3rd grade this year, one of my goals is for her to do a little more writing. Our science curriculum kind of makes you wing it in terms of output, so I am having her do a science notebook for the first time. In order to make it less intimidating, I am incorporating one or two elements of free lapbooks that I find online and she fills in the blank and pastes it into a regular spiral notebook. It is too soon to tell if it helps with retention.

ETA: I suppose this is what some might call an interactive notebook.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 1

Last year for history we did what I would call notebooking. I took notes and they copied them onto their notebook pages. My goal was that the pages might be more interesting than just plain notebook paper. Honestly I am not sure they cared. This year we are just using plain notebook paper and my goal is to phase myself out of the notetaking by teaching them how to do it themselves.  

They did lapbooking one year at co-op. To me, it is only really good for kids that like that kind of thing.  My boys hated it.  It feels like a variation on scrapbooking to me.

Sorry I'm not more help!

I have a blank art book for history. As I read story of the world the kids draw or right in it. It keeps their hands busy while we're reading and hopefully helps to make things more solid. By leaving it fairly open ended I feel like it's more there's and a reflection of what they are getting out of the lessons.

We haven't got any more technical than that yet.