Menu

Why does wine make me sick?

Moxie

I can drink beer and shots with no issues but one glass of wine with dinner and I'll have a headache and possibly vomit the next morning. I've tried to up my water intake after wine and it didn't help. Could it be an allergy?? So sad. Wine is tasty.

Then it's not sulfites; red wines have less.

Have you tried taking an antihistamine before drinking red wine to see if it's the histamines that are the problem?

I had white wine last night, feeling like death today. Thanks for the info!

Ok! I know nothing about sulfites. I don't eat dried fruit so I have no idea if they cause issues. What else is high in sulfite? Off to google.

In the past, I was unable to eat vegetables out at restaurants because they were often sprayed with sulfites to keep them fresher longer.  This mostly applied to salads and salad bars, but sometimes cooked vegetables if they looked abnormally green.  However, in the past 5-10 years I haven't had a problem with that as I think they aren't used as much or salads are washed more to rinse off the sulfites.

I am also allergic to all sulfa drugs.  And sometimes balsamic vinegar really bothers my stomach.  Lately whenever I eat soups that would have sherry in them (like lobster or crab bisque) one ankle swells up.  It is very odd.  I'm not sure if that is a sulfite problem or not.

I'd agree, it's probably the sulfites.

However, I have found that blended wines (more than one vineyard to make the bottle) knock me on my rear most of the time, where one glass makes me feel like I have a raging hangover the next morning.  Only blended.  When I drink from dedicated vineyards I rarely have a problem. We have figured it's something to do with the soil, but I can't narrow it down further than that.

It sounds like a histamine intolerance, not sulfites.

You may find that at times of the year when there are less things you're allergic to you can have more wine.  It's ragweed season in a lot of the country, if you're already high on histamines because of allergies you'll find you can tolerate less wine.

You may also be able to tolerate more wine if you avoid other dietary sources of histamines: aged protein (beef, cheeses, especially sharp/aged cheeses, pork), anything fermented (vinegar, sourdough, wine), tomatoes, and bananas are all high in histamine.  I've been told wheat is high as well, but I'm allergic so I have no idea how that compares to the others.

There is a supplement made from pork that helps break down histamine called DAO.  It used to be easy to find and cheap, unfortunately the company that manufactured it has been sold and it is no longer on the market.  I found I could take some DAO before eating something high in histamine and prevent many of the symptoms.

Quercertin, one compound in apples, also helps break down histamine.  It may be the source of the phrase, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away," because lower histamine = lower inflammation = less symptoms of almost every disease.

I can't tolerate any wine (which is fine since I don't like it anyway) nor IPA beer (which is sad because it's my favourite). The IPA intolerance is relatively new, and other beers don't seem to have the same effect so we think it might be the particular yeasts.

I'm sorry you feel so badly--hope you recover by tomorrow!

I can't tolerate any wine (which is fine since I don't like it anyway) nor IPA beer (which is sad because it's my favourite). The IPA intolerance is relatively new, and other beers don't seem to have the same effect so we think it might be the particular yeasts.

I'm sorry you feel so badly--hope you recover by tomorrow!

Probably the hops in the IPA. Hops allergy isn't uncommon.

• Like 1

I have a hard time with red wine. I only drink a little now, with a meal, because it gives me a nasty headache. White wine seems not to have the same effect It's so annoying, I prefer meaty reds.

Maybe try a dry rose? French rose from province is delicious. Rose has more flavor than most white wines although not meaty :)