Menu

Flylady support weekend (Aug 12-13)

3 ladybugs

Good morning Flyminds!  ;)

Welcome to the Flylady support thread. To find out what Flylady is: http://www.flylady.net/ You can also find people on YouTube if you search for it. 

Please join in on the fun!

_______

I am barely up. I got up for some reason (can't remember right now) and came back and turned on the computer. So nothing done yet for me unless you count sort of making the bed, since DH always sleeps on top of the covers so I only needed to make my side. 

I did want to mention that the new Aldi flyer is out and I saw that they had a toilet bowl brush in there. No idea how good it is, I thought about getting one from Ikea because some of them you can replace the brush heads on, but I thought I would mention it if anyone is looking. :)

I think today I am going to try to focus on the "girls" room (quoting as I don't have any living daughters right now). I want to clean out the inside of the dresser that I brought up from my moms house (I painted it, but didn't clean it out - I hate glitter and there was some in there that I want to remove). So vacuum, wet wipe it, maybe put in drawer liner. I want to start making piles of baby laundry. Anyone have anything great to get out breast milk stains that are 11 years old? All of this stuff was clean but it has sat for 11 years. I might as well vacuum upstairs if I have the vacuum out too. I might might as well vacuum downstairs too. I will have to see if I get into a groove. 

What is everyone else's plan?

• Like 1

I'm being lazy this morning (though I am dressed to my shoes).  My oldest two are at work and my husband and littles are at a state park.  This afternoon my husband and I are going to a thing with our House of Representatives rep.  I'm really not sure what stuff I'll do cleaning-wise.  Maybe nothing...

My plan is to log at least 6 hours cleaning today. DH and kids are out of town until tomorrow and I need to make good use of the no-kids time, but I also want to just chill for some of it. I might try for 8 hours, but we'll see how it goes. 

I have a rough idea of the order I'm going to do things and I'll see how far I get:

Kitchen

Dining room

Main level bathroom

Sweep/mop the above

Family room

Entry (aka:the mess from the last trip that got unloaded and left in piles)

Vacuum main level

Playroom

School room 

Girls' rooms

Upstairs bathroom

Hallway and vacuum upstairs

And finally, if I have time to get to it:

My room. This room always ends up last on the priority list and as such it has become the drop zone. There is so much clutter and piled up stuff in our room that we barely have room to walk around our bed. I am tired of this and want to get it taken care of. I considered putting it higher up the list after main level and before the playroom. But I think it's going to take several hours, so I kind of want to be able to mark off several rooms rather than start on one big mess that I may not finish. IDK yet. I might throw out the list and clean wherever I am most motivated to do so. 

Good morning!

1. We're having a party today, so there's some good motivation to do some cleaning. DH helped with bathrooms, and after toilets, counters, mirrors, and floors, I'm calling those good enough.

2. Sink is clean, after finishing cupcakes - it's nice to have those dishes already done!

3. Still in jammies, but it won't be for all day (see: number 1).

4. Bed is made, but still have a bit of picking up to do in the basement (which is doubling as our bedroom during construction) before company comes over.

5. The hose on my vacuum cleaner broke, so I ordered a new one. Then decided to show my vacuum some love and spring for new filters (first time in 5+ years). 

6. Final party prep includes a bit more picking up/cleaning in kitchen, icing cupcakes and cleaning that mess, then setting out what we need for tonight.

• Like 1

My plan is to log at least 6 hours cleaning today. DH and kids are out of town until tomorrow and I need to make good use of the no-kids time, but I also want to just chill for some of it. I might try for 8 hours, but we'll see how it goes. 

I have a rough idea of the order I'm going to do things and I'll see how far I get:

Kitchen

Dining room

Main level bathroom

Sweep/mop the above

Family room

Vacuum main level

Playroom

School room 

Girls' rooms

Upstairs bathroom

My room. This room always ends up last on the priority list and as such it has become the drop zone. There is so much clutter and piled up stuff in our room that we barely have room to walk around our bed. I am tired of this and want to get it taken care of. I considered putting it higher up the list after main level and before the playroom. But I think it's going to take several hours, so I kind of want to be able to mark off several rooms rather than start on one big mess that I may not finish. IDK yet. I might throw out the list and clean wherever I am most motivated to do so. 

That's ambitious! Here's to having lots of motivation and momentum! 

• Like 1

May I join?  I like to use some Flylady principles but the whole program gets to feeling more compulsive than helpful to me, so I take bits and pieces that are useful.

Today, I've gotten in most of my exercise. I have some strength-training left to do, but other than that, I can clean. 

The house is a wreck from 2 kids getting ready to go off to college for the first time and getting back from a 2 week vaca,  AND a kitchen renovation, so I am digging out from under. 

So for today: 

I have a load of laundry in that I want to finish. It just got done washing. The items that went into the dryer are dried and put away. The ones that I hung to dry are still damp. They will need to wait until tomorrow. i put another small load in the washer. Need to get it in the dryer before bed. 

I want to do at least 2 hours of 15 min. rotations (like Flylady emergency cleaning) with 15 min devoted to deleting emails (time to back-up the computer and I've let emails from retailers pile up) , 15 min to the kitchen, 15 min to the LR, 15 min to the bedroom.  One hour done.

I am going to shift and do 2 segments in the kitchen, one in the living room, and one in the bedroom and leave the email deletion for later tonight since it doesn't take much thought or energy. 

I have done 7 15 min segments, 4 of them in the kitchen. I may or may not get in one more 15 min segment tonight because I'm making cinnamon buns for my youngest who is just entering college. 

I feel pretty good about what I got accomplished. 

Edited by Laurie4b

I'm just getting back to the Flylady swing of things after a long time off. I'm excited about this thread to help me stay motivated.

I sat down at the computer and typed up my morning, afternoon and evening routines, put my own touches on the Weekly Plan and Zones, and now feel ready to get going.

I'm going to preplan the week ahead and choose 4 15-minute tasks in my zone. That way, if my day gets side-tracked, as it usually does, I can at least keep up with the zone cleaning/de cluttering whenever I have 15 minutes to spare.

Also, I love the Youtuber, She's in Her Apron. She helps me figure out how to incorporate the Flylady system to what works best for me.

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwd5vL7_778l-HzOcXLFRuQd6xEGum-Eq

Kitchen

Dining room

Main level bathroom

Sweep/mop the above

Family room

Vacuum main level

Playroom

School room 

Girls' rooms

Upstairs bathroom

Can I just say that this list makes me tired just looking at it?  :scared:  Good luck! Your handle, are you a carseat safety tech? Or do I have the abbreviations mixed up? If so, can I PM you a question?

Welcome new Flyminds!  :seeya:  :seeya:

I got somethings done. I separated girl stuff newborn/preemie/up to 3 months, from all the other sizes. I also separated the ones that were breast milk stained. I need to get a spray bottle so I can spray it with Bac-out and hope that it works. I also cleaned my downstairs bathroom sink. It was really bugging me (I guess that is a by product of this program, you can't stand dirt that you can see!). I got DH to agree to do a 5 minute rescue of the basement (adult side) with me. We have so much that needs to be organized and sorted down there that I am sure we would have MUCH more space if we did it. So I am going to start. 

Goal tonight is to wipe down kitchen and downstairs bath and to lay out clothing for tomorrow. Wonder if that means for church and not or just for church??

• Like 1

Can I just say that this list makes me tired just looking at it?  :scared:  Good luck! Your handle, are you a carseat safety tech? Or do I have the abbreviations mixed up? If so, can I PM you a question?

Welcome new Flyminds!  :seeya:  :seeya:

I got somethings done. I separated girl stuff newborn/preemie/up to 3 months, from all the other sizes. I also separated the ones that were breast milk stained. I need to get a spray bottle so I can spray it with Bac-out and hope that it works. I also cleaned my downstairs bathroom sink. It was really bugging me (I guess that is a by product of this program, you can't stand dirt that you can see!). I got DH to agree to do a 5 minute rescue of the basement (adult side) with me. We have so much that needs to be organized and sorted down there that I am sure we would have MUCH more space if we did it. So I am going to start. 

Goal tonight is to wipe down kitchen and downstairs bath and to lay out clothing for tomorrow. Wonder if that means for church and not or just for church??

It's making me tired, too! But it's all overdo and busting my butt this weekend should make for MUCH less anxiety in the weeks to come. I'm hoping it's worth it!

Yes, I am trained and was active as a child passenger safety tech for 4 years. But my certification is currently expired, so technically I'm not a CPST anymore. We have to renew every 2 years and life got busy so I didn't! But yes, you can PM me! 

So far I've only done 2.5 hours. I left for lunch and decided to do some shopping while out.  :o But I'm a night owl and will get in a few more hours after dinner easily.

I've so far spent most of that time in the kitchen plus a bit in the dining room. But rather than a surface clean through the whole house, I wanted to get it CLEAN for once. So I've scrubbed out the stove (stove-top, haven't done the oven), refrigerator (inside and out), appliances, and microwave. I cleaned the window and sill and the blinds and did some sorting in the pantry. Plus 3 dishwasher loads of dishes, 1 by hand load, cleaned the counters, de-cluttered the catch-all counter, and scrubbed the sink. I didn't do a full flylady shine because I just did that a few months ago, so I just spruced it up a bit. 

Next up: finish the dining room table, main-level bathroom (it's only a half), sweep, and mop. 

• Like 1

Okay I have been productive today! I got up, made my bed, started a load of baby laundry (the ones that were stained... hope that works well), shaved my legs (think this is the second time this year) and swiped my downstairs bathroom after DH made a mess in it. I laid out my clothes last night for both church (in a few minutes we will leave) and after church. Oh and last night I did something for myself. I got MLB.TV. I married probably the only man in america that doesn't follow sports. Ironically I follow baseball when I can. Since we have been without TV for a year now, I haven't been able to follow baseball, despite having a dog named Fenway. Seeing how I am in the Philly's market, I can watch more or less any game I want. Since nobody wants to watch them this year. LOL

My house is starting to feel cleaner. Don't know if it is or not, but it is starting to feel better. This week I hope to incorporate the swish aspect to the swish and swipe. I have some clorox wands that need to be used so it can be messy. Eww!

Kitchen

Dining room

Main level bathroom

Sweep/mop the above

Family room

Vacuum main level

Playroom

School room

Girls' rooms

Upstairs bathroom

Do you do the five minute room rescues? My dd gets her room into an awful state and its amazing how much difference five minutes daily makes...

I want to start the blessing hour (Love the idea of calling it a power hour!) and I looked at the list and I don't need to do all 7 of them. DH takes care of all the trash in the house. It is a miracle. I put trash in the trash can and it disappears every week! We don't subscribe to magazines or newspapers. I wash sheets every 3 weeks (there are 3 beds so 1 once a week) not every week. Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I should do 15 minutes per item. Hmmm...

I got DH to do 10 minutes of rescuing the basement today. I wouldn't say we are perfect about time. DH was standing quite a bit and it was hard to get into a groove but it went well. :) Found more to donate! YAY!

I also found a way to get old breast milk stains out of clothing! I found a stain remover that is one part Dawn dishwashing liquid, 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide. You can also use baking soda and an old toothbrush if need be. It seems to do wonders! I got some white outfits that were yellow looking like new! :D I only did 4 items so guess what is on my list to do tomorrow? I am going to go out in the sun (because if you are going to find a stain, it will be when you are in the sun) and start scrubbing!

Do you do the five minute room rescues? My dd gets her room into an awful state and its amazing how much difference five minutes daily makes...

I have in the past when the house is decent enough that 5 minutes can make a difference! I want to get back to the point that I can do that again. With the state it's in now, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference after 5 minutes. Or maybe you could depending on what you focused on, but then I'd rather just keep going and really get something done.

That's part of my problem; I'm very much a perfectionist. I don't like to clean in a room if I can't get it finished to where I want it to be. I feel like the mess just expands back out so much quicker when it's not cleaned all the way, because new mess blends into the old mess and doesn't get taken care of. So it makes the time feel wasted. When I can get a room all the way clean, we "see" the mess easier and can keep it that way, at least for a bit. 

This weekend I did complete the kitchen and dining areas and floors. I got down to lots of the detail work in the kitchen which hasn't been done since we moved in last year, so that was good. But it meant I didn't get down my list as far as I would have with a surface clean of each room. 

I have in the past when the house is decent enough that 5 minutes can make a difference! I want to get back to the point that I can do that again. With the state it's in now, you wouldn't be able to tell a difference after 5 minutes. Or maybe you could depending on what you focused on, but then I'd rather just keep going and really get something done.

That's part of my problem; I'm very much a perfectionist. I don't like to clean in a room if I can't get it finished to where I want it to be. I feel like the mess just expands back out so much quicker when it's not cleaned all the way, because new mess blends into the old mess and doesn't get taken care of. So it makes the time feel wasted. When I can get a room all the way clean, we "see" the mess easier and can keep it that way, at least for a bit.

This weekend I did complete the kitchen and dining areas and floors. I got down to lots of the detail work in the kitchen which hasn't been done since we moved in last year, so that was good. But it meant I didn't get down my list as far as I would have with a surface clean of each room.

Yeah I totally understand.

I'm much the same way.