Menu

DS7 Leaking... this is gross

MommyLiberty5013

He's been leaking poop for the past 18 hours. We've gone through 7 pairs of underwear. He's got diarrhea really bad. But he never feels it coming, no pain, no gas, no urgent feeling. All of a sudden he's playing and he comes to me saying his pants are dirty. Some is just spotting. Last night he twice blasted his pants it got on his bed sheets.

Why? Why can't he feel this? Is there something amiss with his butt?

Update: DS had a full day's activities, and full meals. Seems to be doing okay. Did have another bought of diarrhea late this afternoon, but he was on the toilet for it to occur. It has been about 7 hours without anything loose coming.

I did figure something out, though. When he poops regularily (normal, formed stools), his body voids quickly - no waiting around. He sits down, goes, and could be done in like a minute. I realized today that he was taking that same approach to this loose stool and wasn't waiting long enough for his body to send out all the diarrhea that was ready to come (hence, the leaking, I think). I began to coach him on sitting longer and waiting for it to make its way out. He began to listen and I think he realized how he has to sit a bit longer to wait for this kind of poop to come. The being more patient with his body approach.

I think we are going to be okay. But I will contine to watch him.

Edited by MommyLiberty5013
  • Like 2

I'm hesitant on that. I guess I should add that he got nauseous and threw up yesterday morning. He poops regularly and never has had trouble before going. I think this is a bug of some kind, but I don't understand why he can't feel the diarrhea wanting to come out. It's very very loose. Also two episodes happened at night in bed.

I'm hesitant on that. I guess I should add that he got nauseous and threw up yesterday morning. He poops regularly and never has had trouble before going. I think this is a bug of some kind, but I don't understand why he can't feel the diarrhea wanting to come out. It's very very loose. Also two episodes happened at night in bed.

Any fever or fatigue? If so, then I would definitely think virus and might wait it out with lots and lots of liquid support: popsicles, jello, broth, pedialyte/powerade, etc. 

Otherwise, nausea and vomiting does not preclude a blockage and is usually present in a severe blockage. Not saying he has that, just that I wouldn't let this continue for too long without at least talking to the ped's office.

• Like 4

TMI, but a while back both DH and I got a 24 hr bug of some kind where we each had one incident (two incidents for DH, perhaps?) of loose leakage that came with absolutely no warning. One moment I was lying in bad and the next there was a bit of leakage. Thankfully, I had anticipated it might happen to me since it had already happened to DH so I was wearing a long menstrual pad in case. So, it seems like it could happen to your DS with no warning to him.

• Like 1

Any fever or fatigue? If so, then I would definitely think virus and might wait it out with lots and lots of liquid support: popsicles, jello, broth, pedialyte/powerade, etc.

Otherwise, nausea and vomiting does not preclude a blockage and is usually present in a severe blockage. Not saying he has that, just that I wouldn't let this continue for too long without at least talking to the ped's office.

Yesterday when he puked, it was an empty stomach after waking up and before breakfast. He felt tired and rested all day yesterday. But he ate full meals and was well enough to bicker with his siblings. No fever. No pain. No discomfort.

I'm gonna see what tonight brings.

Does your doctor have an advice nurse that can answer questions? You could describe the symptoms and ask for recommendations. Poor little guy. Be careful he doesn't develop a rash from all the stool passing. It can make him red which might hurt and then he'll try holding it back.

• Like 5

The ds who was just in the hospital is 4, right? This is a different ds? Just checking because if it is the same one, I would wonder about meds and etc.

If it isn't the same ds, and it is a virus, you might want to watch the other one carefully. Stomach things can mess up med absorption and effectiveness.

Edited by Guinevere
  • Like 1

The ds who was just in the hospital is 4, right? This is a different ds? Just checking because if it is the same one, I would wonder about meds and etc.

If it isn't the same ds, and it is a virus, you might want to watch the other one carefully. Stomach things can mess up med absorption and effectiveness.

Two different kiddos. DS7 and DS4 (seizure). Thanks good point.

• Like 1

Was the 7yo in the hospital at any point during the 4yo's time there? I used to work in a hospital and I can tell you from experience that every surface in a hospital is almost certainly contaminated with some type of germ. If he was in the building he could have picked something up without having any other risk factors, such as recent antibiotic use. C-diff, salmonella, VRE (this is less common), and E coli are all really common in hospitals and they can all cause vomiting and diarrhea. Or he could have picked up a noro virus or something similar.

Really, really gross question time:

Does his poop smell weird? Like, does it smell really strong or bad?

Is his poop a weird color, for example is it really bright green?

Does his poop have the consistency of really thin gravy with rice in it or the consistency of cream chipped beef? Or is it just watery?

• Like 1

I would assume it's a virus.  Push fluids.  I would call the doctor and ask about medicine to prevent diarrhea.  I think those guidelines have changed somewhat recently, so I don't want to offer any advice there.  You can pinch the skin on the back of his hand - if it doesn't snap back as quickly as normal or if if he's looking jaundiced he may be so dehydrated he may need to be admitted overnight for observation & an IV. 

If it lasts more than 10 days or if you notice extreme dehydration, or if he starts vomiting clear fluid regularly take him to the doctor, or to the ER if he can't get into see the doctor.

That also could a place with a lot of germs, people with memory problems don't have very good hygiene practices a lot of the time. My mother is a nurse and her recommendation is that if his symptoms don't improve by Monday, if it gets worse, or if he stops being able to keep down fluids he needs to get medical care. If he really does have a bacterial infection it probably won't get better on its own.

• Like 2

I've had stomach bugs that did this to me. No warning, just pooped myself. It's so liquid you can't feel it coming I guess? Have you tried giving him some medication for the diarrhea?