Menu

Similar books to Wayside School

Earthmerlin

On a whim (or perhaps as a suggestion here, who knows?) I picked up 'Sideways Stories from Wayside School' and my 7 yr old loves it! She likes the quirkiness of it & I love to see her take a break from her recent Harry Potter obsession (LOL). Can anyone recommend other light-hearted titles along this vein? Some bizarre but funny books for this age set?

She might be excited to know there are two other books in the series - Wayside School is Falling Down and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. ​My oldest loved this series, I'll have to ask her whether she can remember any other favorites from around that time.

Has she read any Roald Dahl yet? 

• Like 1

Yes, she has read lots of Dahl & her current favoirite (which I despise) is 'Matilda'. I think she likes the quirkiness & unexpectedness of these Wayside School characters. I think there's an appeal to reading things that just shouldn't happen or that don't quite make sense.

Edited by Earthmerlin

OK, cool! I'll need to check those out. This is different from Magic Treehouse, right?

MUCH different!  They're more like Phineas & Ferb in a written format.  There is less writing per page than Wayside, so they are quick reads.  Our library carries the first few in the series here but they're always checked out.

• Like 1

She might be excited to know there are two other books in the series - Wayside School is Falling Down and Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger. ​My oldest loved this series, I'll have to ask her whether she can remember any other favorites from around that time.

Has she read any Roald Dahl yet?

Do you think the 2 sequels are an equally rolicking good time? Some times sequels fall flat, so just wondering.