What's with the ads?

#1 Aura

Aura

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

I have not really had an opinion on Taylor Swift, but after reading this article:

Taylor Swift Takes the Stand in Groping Trial: "He Had a Handful of My @$$"

I'm definitely impressed!  She did not allow herself to be backed into a corner and took a very firm stand against victim blaming...which it sounds like the lawyer was trying very hard to do.

• Mothersweets, onelittlemonkey, Lanny and 1 other like this

#2 Angie in VA

Angie in VA

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

I like the fact that's she's suing (or is it a counter suit? No matter.) for $1 in damages. She's not trying to bankrupt the guy. (Although I'm sure his attorney's fees will be massive.) She is making a point. 

• scrapbookbuzz, WoolySocks, Aura and 5 others like this

#3 lauraw4321

lauraw4321

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

She's counter-suing. She was sued for defamation and other damages relating to his firing. He brought her into court, not the other way around.

• samba, Angie in VA, Aura and 4 others like this

#4 onelittlemonkey

onelittlemonkey

Just Visiting

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1203 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

I like her so much. Favorite line: When asked if she was critical of Dent for allowing someone to grope her, she retorted, "No, I am critical of your client sticking his hand under my skirt and grabbing my ass.". Get 'em, girl.
  • CindyH in NC, Dotwithaperiod, Angie in VA and 10 others like this

#5 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8289 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

I found this article interesting:

http://m.huffpost.co...ef=taylor-swift
  • Liz CA and onelittlemonkey like this

#6 TechWife

TechWife

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8864 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

This is what it means to stand up! I hope young girls everywhere read this and their parents and other influential adults talk to them about what a strong testimony she made and how she stood up for herself and did not allow victim blaming! 

• Spryte, Aura, onelittlemonkey and 4 others like this

#7 nixpix5

nixpix5

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

I really like Taylor Swift and having been a victim of bullying when she was a kid, she does an amazing job being and advocate for an example of what it means to not take sh#*. She once said when she came home from school crying and upset her mom would put her in the car and they would just drive out of town, walk around, have fun. She wouldn't grill her or ask prying questions, she just was there and gave her an ear if she needed one. So cool.

Plus I actually like her music too ;)

Edited by nixpix5, 10 August 2017 - 05:09 PM.

• Scarlett, scrapbookbuzz, Spryte and 4 others like this

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18871 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

I am a Taylor Swift fan.
  • Lanny likes this

#9 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

New again (old) avatar. Same old me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12290 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

I've never been a fan but I admire her for how she's handling this and for not backing down. For letting everyone know that this is not okay.

• Lostinabook, Angie in VA, transientChris and 8 others like this

#10 Aura

Aura

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

I like her so much. Favorite line: When asked if she was critical of Dent for allowing someone to grope her, she retorted, "No, I am critical of your client sticking his hand under my skirt and grabbing my ass.". Get 'em, girl.

Yep. My fave, too.  :hurray:

• Scarlett, Angie in VA, TechWife and 4 others like this

#11 Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell

Going off the rails on a crazy train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3078 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

I can't stand her, but I fully applaud her for this.
  • Angie in VA, Lady Florida., kitten18 and 6 others like this

#12 kitten18

kitten18

Empress of Brain Candy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5985 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

Ditto
  • Rebel Yell likes this

#13 scrapbookbuzz

scrapbookbuzz

Snarky Homeschool Mama

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5204 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:14 PM

I have a friend who has gone through so much more than what happened to Taylor and is also fighting back. It's not an easy thing, sadly, for women who have been groped, fondled, and beyond to stand up for their own defense because there is so much victim-shaming in these instances. I'm glad there is a celebrity like Taylor Swift using her clout to make a positive change!

• CindyH in NC, Angie in VA, Lady Florida. and 6 others like this

#14 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18871 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

How can anyone not stand her? I love her.
  • heatherwith3 and shawthorne44 like this

#15 MooCow

MooCow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1537 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

We love Tay-Tay in our house! :)

#16 gstharr

gstharr

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

I understand that this trial is about groping, but what was their to grip. More of a swipe to me. STILL OFFENSIVE..

#17 Moxie

Moxie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8825 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

I understand that this trial is about groping, but what was their to grip. More of a swipe to me. STILL OFFENSIVE..

Um, what?
  • myfunnybunch, Melissa in New York, Lady Florida. and 7 others like this

#18 Catwoman

Catwoman

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28624 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

Did you seriously just take a cheap shot at Taylor Swift for being slim? :glare:

I'm sure you were joking, but I'm not even a Taylor Swift fan and I felt the need to defend her.
  • Lostinabook, Dotwithaperiod, Angie in VA and 19 others like this

#19 Tibbie Dunbar

Tibbie Dunbar

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6122 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

Disgusting.
  • Dotwithaperiod, myfunnybunch, Lady Florida. and 6 others like this

#20 meena

meena

Nose in a book

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

"She also rejected the assumption that she misidentified Mr Mueller, saying: 'I'm not going to allow you or your client to say I am to blame.' " (quoted from BBC)

Bravo, Taylor! It's sickening how that lowlife DJ tried to somehow make this into her doing something wrong. I'm glad she has the gumption and support to speak out against him publicly.

• CindyH in NC, Lady Florida., Aura and 2 others like this

#21 DawnM

DawnM

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21614 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

What the heck?

Edited by DawnM, 11 August 2017 - 06:05 AM.

• Catwoman and Quill like this

#22 Just Kate

Just Kate

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2415 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

Huh?? What a strange statement.
  • Catwoman and Quill like this

#23 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12290 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

The judge dismissed the DJ's suit. Swift's counter suit still stands. Good.

• Angie in VA, Big Buckin' Longhorn, Catwoman and 7 others like this

#24 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8289 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

The judge dismissed the DJ's suit. Swift's counter suit still stands. Good.

Looks like he removed Taylor Swift as a defendant, but the suit against her mother and one other person is still active.

#25 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9177 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

I didn't know thing One about Taylor Swift prior to this incident but the story has intrigued me, and I have to say, color me impressed.  

By the way, as far as I understand it, while her countersuit is for $1, the jury is unconstrained in its rewards.  I hope they cover her attorney fees.  I don't care that she is rich.  That is what made her a target and there is no excuse.  

I also love the continual reporting on the reliance on CONTEMPORANEOUS evidence.  That is, even if it is not a 911 call, it MATTERS what you do in the time following the incident.  

I also loved it that one of the people they called to witness was her MOTHER whom Taylor told about the assault.  

So many of the recent court cases have been about fake situations.  It is good to see someone with influence like TS stand up to assaulters and especially those who are really just shake-down con artists and to do it in a matter-of-fact, classy way.  

Like I said, color me impressed.

• Angie in VA, Catwoman, TechWife and 4 others like this

#26 Carrie12345

Carrie12345

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11082 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:11 AM

I think I might be in love with her strength. I'm the type to have all the perfect answers until an authority strong arms me, and then I crumble. I can't even explain how much I admire her ability to resist being led.

What she's doing, every girl and woman should hear. Hell, every human should. You cannot justify assault. You cannot minimize assault. There are no excuses, no extenuating circumstances, no mitigating factors. Don't touch people without consent. The end.
  • Angie in VA, Lady Florida., Catwoman and 5 others like this

#27 ktgrok

ktgrok

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19249 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

I'm also glad I'm not hearing any crap about "why was it her BARE butt, why wasn't she wearing underwear" or whatever. I expected to hear criticism of her wearing a thong or no underwear, and I'm not. I'm glad. 

• Angie in VA, Lady Florida., Aura and 1 other like this

#28 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9275 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

I'm also glad I'm not hearing any crap about "why was it her BARE butt, why wasn't she wearing underwear" or whatever. I expected to hear criticism of her wearing a thong or no underwear, and I'm not. I'm glad.

The question has crossed my mind. Not that it excuses what that low-life did, but... is it common not to wear underclothes? I'm seriously wondering. Maybe underclothes are old-fashioned nowadays, like pantyhose are??? I'm so out of touch, I honestly don't know the answer. LOL

ETA: Beautiful avatar picture, btw!

Edited by Kinsa, 12 August 2017 - 08:01 AM.

• Rach likes this

#29 ThatBookwormMom

ThatBookwormMom

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

The question has crossed my mind. Not that it excuses what that low-life did, but... is it common not to wear underclothes? I'm seriously wondering. Maybe underclothes are old-fashioned nowadays, like pantyhose are??? I'm so out of touch, I honestly don't know the answer. LOL

I assumed thong when I read the article.
  • Quill likes this

#30 Quill

Quill

Team Introvert - Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16725 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

Disgusting.

For real. I have little boobs. Does that mean it would be fine for someone to "swipe" them because there's not a lot to grab? Holy heck.
  • Lady Florida., Lawana, ashfern and 3 others like this

#31 Word Nerd

Word Nerd

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11325 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

This reminds me of what a relative said when I objected to his putting his hands on my breasts and told me he was "just kidding around" when I was around 12 or 13. He seemed to think it didn't really count as inappropriate since there wasn't much there to feel. Utter BS.

Edited by Word Nerd, 12 August 2017 - 09:54 AM.

• Quill and ashfern like this

#32 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9275 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

I assumed thong when I read the article.

Oh. That would make sense. I'm slow on the uptake. LOL

#33 Rebel Yell

Rebel Yell

Going off the rails on a crazy train

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3078 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

Well, when women are vilified for having visible panty lines, and even the best, well-fitted underwear engineered to not show under clothing will still somehow manage to be visible, then a thing or commando is the only option with many outfits.

Even outfits that aren't intended to show off the form show panty lines. My loose, thick old navy old lady jeans show panty lines.

And even if her intention was to have it be known she wasn't wearing underpants or was wearing a thong, that still did not give consent to being touched.
  • Dotwithaperiod, Lady Florida., Spryte and 2 others like this

#34 Lady Florida.

Lady Florida.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12290 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:44 AM

Looks like he removed Taylor Swift as a defendant, but the suit against her mother and one other person is still active.

Right, but from what I understand her $1 counter suit against him still stands. Or did I read it incorrectly? 

• Seasider likes this

#35 Dotwithaperiod

Dotwithaperiod

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5571 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

Starting to think you're a troll. My apologies if not, but your answer is really lacking...decency.

Edited by Dotwithaperiod, 12 August 2017 - 10:15 AM.

• Lady Florida., heatherwith3 and PinkyandtheBrains. like this

#36 Kinsa

Kinsa

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9275 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

Well, when women are vilified for having visible panty lines, and even the best, well-fitted underwear engineered to not show under clothing will still somehow manage to be visible, then a thing or commando is the only option with many outfits.

Even outfits that aren't intended to show off the form show panty lines. My loose, thick old navy old lady jeans show panty lines.

And even if her intention was to have it be known she wasn't wearing underpants or was wearing a thong, that still did not give consent to being touched.

Ah. See, I never give panty lines a thought. Ever. LOL

I agree that she did not deserve to be groped underneath her dress. Or above her dress, for that matter.
  • Lostinabook, ashfern, PinkyandtheBrains. and 3 others like this

#37 Sassenach

Sassenach

Dinna Fash Yourself

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

Why in the world is her mom being sued?

#38 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8289 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Right, but from what I understand her $1 counter suit against him still stands. Or did I read it incorrectly?

Yes, that still stands. I was just disappointed that the DJ's suit was dismissed entirely. Consequences, y'know? You can't expect to seriously step outside professional boundaries and have the right to keep your job.

#39 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8289 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Why in the world is her mom being sued?

IIRC, she and someone else (manager?) are the ones who followed through with reporting the DJ's actions to his superiors at the radio station, which eventually led to his firing. I think he's suing for defamation of character and loss of income/future earnings?
  • PinkyandtheBrains. likes this

#40 FaithManor

FaithManor

Empress of the Flaming Bees, Order of the Spork

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15704 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:54 PM

A lot of women who struggle with yeast infections will wear skirts and dresses without because the air flow/not trapping moisture - really helps.

Thongs are pretty popular with a lot of women. Not me, but my sis wears them all the time.

I am the anti hose woman. It has been two years since I last wore a pair.

I am very happy that they did not make a case about what she was wearing. That is a victory for woman kind and a blow to the clothing police!

Edited by FaithManor, 12 August 2017 - 03:41 PM.

• Angie in VA, ktgrok, PinkyandtheBrains. and 1 other like this

#41 Mimm

Mimm

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4270 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

Ugh. Just don't read the comments. I should have known better. There's really no situation a woman can be in where it doesn't end up being "her fault" is there?

I mean... seriously? Are you joking? Because it's STILL OFFENSIVE.

#42 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64448 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:25 PM

Do you perhaps think that she doesn't have normal human anatomy? I think you need a refresher on human anatomy and physiology. And logic. The offense isn't somehow greater if the private area is bigger.
  • Lady Florida., Corraleno, FaithManor and 1 other like this

#43 Quill

Quill

Team Introvert - Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16725 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:42 PM

Also, "there."
  • Angie in VA, Lady Florida., Corraleno and 7 others like this

#44 ThatBookwormMom

ThatBookwormMom

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 04:43 PM

Also, "there."

Thank you. That was driving me nuts every time I saw it.
  • Quill and Rebel Yell like this