Menu

Taylor Swift on the stand

Aura

I have not really had an opinion on Taylor Swift, but after reading this article:

Taylor Swift Takes the Stand in Groping Trial: "He Had a Handful of My @$$"

I'm definitely impressed!  She did not allow herself to be backed into a corner and took a very firm stand against victim blaming...which it sounds like the lawyer was trying very hard to do.

• Like 3

This is what it means to stand up! I hope young girls everywhere read this and their parents and other influential adults talk to them about what a strong testimony she made and how she stood up for herself and did not allow victim blaming! 

• Like 6

I really like Taylor Swift and having been a victim of bullying when she was a kid, she does an amazing job being and advocate for an example of what it means to not take sh#*. She once said when she came home from school crying and upset her mom would put her in the car and they would just drive out of town, walk around, have fun. She wouldn't grill her or ask prying questions, she just was there and gave her an ear if she needed one. So cool.

Plus I actually like her music too ;)

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 7

I like her so much. Favorite line: When asked if she was critical of Dent for allowing someone to grope her, she retorted, "No, I am critical of your client sticking his hand under my skirt and grabbing my ass.". Get 'em, girl.

Yep. My fave, too.  :hurray:

• Like 6

I have a friend who has gone through so much more than what happened to Taylor and is also fighting back. It's not an easy thing, sadly, for women who have been groped, fondled, and beyond to stand up for their own defense because there is so much victim-shaming in these instances. I'm glad there is a celebrity like Taylor Swift using her clout to make a positive change!

• Like 9

I understand that this trial is about groping, but what was their to grip. More of a swipe to me. STILL OFFENSIVE..

Did you seriously just take a cheap shot at Taylor Swift for being slim? :glare:

I'm sure you were joking, but I'm not even a Taylor Swift fan and I felt the need to defend her.

• Like 21

"She also rejected the assumption that she misidentified Mr Mueller, saying: 'I'm not going to allow you or your client to say I am to blame.' " (quoted from BBC)

Bravo, Taylor! It's sickening how that lowlife DJ tried to somehow make this into her doing something wrong. I'm glad she has the gumption and support to speak out against him publicly.

• Like 5

I didn't know thing One about Taylor Swift prior to this incident but the story has intrigued me, and I have to say, color me impressed.  

By the way, as far as I understand it, while her countersuit is for $1, the jury is unconstrained in its rewards.  I hope they cover her attorney fees.  I don't care that she is rich.  That is what made her a target and there is no excuse.  

I also love the continual reporting on the reliance on CONTEMPORANEOUS evidence.  That is, even if it is not a 911 call, it MATTERS what you do in the time following the incident.  

I also loved it that one of the people they called to witness was her MOTHER whom Taylor told about the assault.  

So many of the recent court cases have been about fake situations.  It is good to see someone with influence like TS stand up to assaulters and especially those who are really just shake-down con artists and to do it in a matter-of-fact, classy way.  

Like I said, color me impressed.

I think I might be in love with her strength. I'm the type to have all the perfect answers until an authority strong arms me, and then I crumble. I can't even explain how much I admire her ability to resist being led.

What she's doing, every girl and woman should hear. Hell, every human should. You cannot justify assault. You cannot minimize assault. There are no excuses, no extenuating circumstances, no mitigating factors. Don't touch people without consent. The end.

• Like 8

I'm also glad I'm not hearing any crap about "why was it her BARE butt, why wasn't she wearing underwear" or whatever. I expected to hear criticism of her wearing a thong or no underwear, and I'm not. I'm glad.

The question has crossed my mind. Not that it excuses what that low-life did, but... is it common not to wear underclothes? I'm seriously wondering. Maybe underclothes are old-fashioned nowadays, like pantyhose are??? I'm so out of touch, I honestly don't know the answer. LOL

ETA: Beautiful avatar picture, btw!

Edited by Kinsa

I understand that this trial is about groping, but what was their to grip. More of a swipe to me. STILL OFFENSIVE..

This reminds me of what a relative said when I objected to his putting his hands on my breasts and told me he was "just kidding around" when I was around 12 or 13. He seemed to think it didn't really count as inappropriate since there wasn't much there to feel. Utter BS.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

The question has crossed my mind. Not that it excuses what that low-life did, but... is it common not to wear underclothes? I'm seriously wondering. Maybe underclothes are old-fashioned nowadays, like pantyhose are??? I'm so out of touch, I honestly don't know the answer. LOL

Well, when women are vilified for having visible panty lines, and even the best, well-fitted underwear engineered to not show under clothing will still somehow manage to be visible, then a thing or commando is the only option with many outfits.

Even outfits that aren't intended to show off the form show panty lines. My loose, thick old navy old lady jeans show panty lines.

And even if her intention was to have it be known she wasn't wearing underpants or was wearing a thong, that still did not give consent to being touched.

• Like 4

Well, when women are vilified for having visible panty lines, and even the best, well-fitted underwear engineered to not show under clothing will still somehow manage to be visible, then a thing or commando is the only option with many outfits.

Even outfits that aren't intended to show off the form show panty lines. My loose, thick old navy old lady jeans show panty lines.

And even if her intention was to have it be known she wasn't wearing underpants or was wearing a thong, that still did not give consent to being touched.

Ah. See, I never give panty lines a thought. Ever. LOL

I agree that she did not deserve to be groped underneath her dress. Or above her dress, for that matter.

Right, but from what I understand her $1 counter suit against him still stands. Or did I read it incorrectly?

Yes, that still stands. I was just disappointed that the DJ's suit was dismissed entirely. Consequences, y'know? You can't expect to seriously step outside professional boundaries and have the right to keep your job.

Why in the world is her mom being sued?

IIRC, she and someone else (manager?) are the ones who followed through with reporting the DJ's actions to his superiors at the radio station, which eventually led to his firing. I think he's suing for defamation of character and loss of income/future earnings?

• Like 1

A lot of women who struggle with yeast infections will wear skirts and dresses without because the air flow/not trapping moisture - really helps.

Thongs are pretty popular with a lot of women. Not me, but my sis wears them all the time.

I am the anti hose woman. It has been two years since I last wore a pair.

I am very happy that they did not make a case about what she was wearing. That is a victory for woman kind and a blow to the clothing police!

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 4

Ugh. Just don't read the comments. I should have known better. There's really no situation a woman can be in where it doesn't end up being "her fault" is there?

I mean... seriously? Are you joking? Because it's STILL OFFENSIVE.