Menu

singapore math and memorizing number bonds

Elizabeth86

So, for 1A it is saying he needs to memorize number bonds through 10. So, how do you know they have them memorized? I know that sounds dumb. Ds understands and can write them all out from memory. Is this good? I mean he thinks about it, he doesnt know it instantly. How do I make sure he realky has them down? I hope that makes sense what I am asking.

We worked on them for a little while and then moved on to the next lessons. She wasn't horribly handicapped because she couldn't rattle them off from memory 😉. Even now (we're in 2A) she can't tell me what the number bonds for 10 are, but if I ask her "what are all the ways you can make 10 by adding 2 numbers together" she has no problem answering.

One thing that made Singapore stressful for me as I was figuring out how to teach it last year were the many prompts in the HIG to "have your child memorize this" or "she should have these math facts memorized before continuing on to the next lesson." My DD was always ready conceptually to move on in the book before she had the math facts memorized. I finally realized that it is ok to work on both at the same time. It's ok to move on in the book if your student is ready, even if he still needs practice in certain math facts. I now treat math fact practice (memorization) and math lessons (Singapore) as 2 separate subjects in my mind.

And keep in mind that the curriculum is a servant (or tool) not a master. It's so much harder for me to remember that when it comes to math!

• Like 4

Yeah, they need to be able to answer questions like, what/how many does 6 need to be 10? without it taking a long time. Otherwise the work will start taking FORRREVER. 

I have a DD who gets things conceptually very easily, but is not a memorizer. We did continue on in the workbook long after it asked us to memorize the number bonds, but it reached a point where the problems were taking way too long to do. We took a week off of the curriculum and just worked on number bonds and we were back to flying through the workbook. 

I had to do the same thing again for multiplication tables. There reached a point where it just was not reasonable to continue on without knowing them - it tripled the length of time it took to finish exercises. 

DD still isn't "instant" like some kids get with memorized facts, but she can tell you the answer within about a second or two. I think when you reach the point where you need to push the memorization, you just know.

• Like 2

So, for 1A it is saying he needs to memorize number bonds through 10. So, how do you know they have them memorized? I know that sounds dumb. Ds understands and can write them all out from memory. Is this good? I mean he thinks about it, he doesnt know it instantly. How do I make sure he realky has them down? I hope that makes sense what I am asking.

"It" being what? 

The HIG? This is not from Primary Mathematics but from a third-party author.

Pushing memory work (vs more organic means of nearly the same things) and have pretty negative repercussions including math anxiety. The facts do need to be mastered. There are many non-stressful means to that end.  

Bill

• Like 2

"It" being what?

Pushing memory work (vs more organic means of nearly the same things) and have pretty negative repercussions including math anxiety. The facts do need to be mastered. There are many non-stressful means to that end.

Bill

It being HIG.

It being HIG.

The HIGs are not bad overall, but some things should be taken with a grain of salt, including a few things that are counter-productive to the method.

It would have been much better IMO for them to have included play with Cuisenaire Rods as a fun (and highly effective way to internalize number bonds) rather than using Linking Rods (that encourage "counting" instead of seeing groups) and then throwing "memorize this" prematurely into the mix.

You will know your child much better than strangers on the internet. Watch for methods that induce stress or sense of failure.

There are a myriad of ways to learn number bonds through playful means, including games. Be careful.

Bill

• Like 1

"It" being what? 

Pushing memory work (vs more organic means of nearly the same things) and have pretty negative repercussions including math anxiety. The facts do need to be mastered. There are many non-stressful means to that end.  

Bill

I just assumed anyone talking about memorization in 1A was using an assortment of playful games and activities to do it, not drills and flashcards and timers and such methods of math destruction, but you're right that the memorization recommendation seems out of place in the HIG. (I mean, even the concept of memorizing number bonds is kind of weird to me-- but I am a visual learner teaching visual learners, so for us this is like saying "Memorize a horse.")

• Like 1

One thing that made Singapore stressful for me as I was figuring out how to teach it last year were the many prompts in the HIG to "have your child memorize this" or "she should have these math facts memorized before continuing on to the next lesson." My DD was always ready conceptually to move on in the book before she had the math facts memorized. I finally realized that it is ok to work on both at the same time. It's ok to move on in the book if your student is ready, even if he still needs practice in certain math facts. I now treat math fact practice (memorization) and math lessons (Singapore) as 2 separate subjects in my mind.

And keep in mind that the curriculum is a servant (or tool) not a master. It's so much harder for me to remember that when it comes to math!

Yes, this was also the case with two of my children.  They needed to move on conceptually, but had the *hardest* time memorizing the number bonds.

I did choose to move on with them, and it turned out to be just fine. :)  We spent time each day working on number bonds and math facts in general, and they eventually could internalize them.

My experience echoes others. My kids haven't needed to memorize addition and subtraction facts consciously but rather internalize them by working with them over time. The abacus and rods are helpful for visualizing as part of the process.

Edited by Penelope

Another family who got the facts down just by constant use.  We have the cuisinaire rods out on the table at all times, but by SM2b, they were rarely needed except when first learning a concept.  When I knew my kids were close to not needing them, and saw them reach for the rods, I would ask them if they could "see the rods in their head" to work out the problem.  Often times, they could.  

If it helps at all we did Math In Focus 1 last year and I don't think it ever said to memorize the number bonds. They were just practiced. I think my DS just knows them from practice now. Miquon is great for applying and practicing which leads to memorizing. MathFinders is really great for facts as well. DS has really enjoyed it.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/028235