Menu

Debate Club vs. Junior Statesmen of America?

Dd expressed interest in joining our local school's debate club.  She does not know anyone that participates and was not even sure our school had one.  But she knows what debate is from reading and movies and thinks it is something she would like to try.

So, I looked into it and sure enough our local school does have a debate club.  It also has a Junior Statesmen of America (JSA) club which from what I can gather includes a debate component.  Our local high school is quite small so I was surprised to find both clubs that seem to have a significant overlap.  I am also quite dubious that the school will let dd, as a homeschooler, participate in either club anyway but I am willing to at least ask.  They have 100% turned us down for all other requests (athletics, AP exam proctoring, band, etc....) so I am not hopeful but dd was solicited by the math club advisor (which dd has no interest in doing) suggesting there might be hope.

Any btdt with either type of club?  I'm trying to figure out which would be a better fit for dd.