Menu

Ursinus College

Grantmom

Does anyone know anything about Ursinus College?  I had never heard of it until yesterday, when I talked to an alum (now in his 50s or so) who recommended it.  He described at as a place where there is a focus on thinking, reading great books under a tree and discussing them, etc.  A place that really teaches you to think.  Anyone have any experience?

Ursinus is known for its sciences and its athletics.  I think it's a fairly rigorous school, at least for the students who go there.  I have never heard it called intellectual, though.  I would say that the typical student is a bright athlete who is trying to balance school and team (sometimes unsuccessfully).  Ursinus is in the suburb of Collegeville.  There is no walkable town; if you have a car, you can get to typical suburban shopping centers and movie theatres.  The campus is pretty.  Not sure how influential Greek life is.  Merit is good.

That's really all I know!  It has a good reputation, as far as I know.  HTH!

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 1

I have been looking at Ursinus lately, too.  I like that it's only a half-hour from Philadelphia, and it's one of the Colleges that Change Lives (although I can't recall anything specific from the book about it).  

When I searched this board, I found one Ursinus thread and a few other scattered posts (mostly by dotwithaperiod, IIRC), but little else.

I like to check youtube for schools of interest, both "official" school videos and ones posted by others.  Ursinus surprised me with the super high volume of sports and Greek videos [ETA:  neither of which interest my son].  Very little about the arts or academics, from what I've seen so far.

Given that it is the furthest of the schools currently on my radar, I'm thinking of letting it go, unless it somehow attracts my son's attention.

Edited by Miss Mousie
  • Like 1