Menu

DO Math

How quickly do you get work back after you've submitted it for grading? If your student is struggling with something and asks a question, how long does it take to get a response?

We've happily used a couple of levels doing self-grading. I was planning on using the full grading option so that if my student had questions, she'd have someone she could ask. However, if the turnaround with grading and responses is going to be more than a couple of days, this option might not be the best fit for us because we are impatient.😊

This past year started out very quickly for my Ds, but by mid year grading was taking at least 3 days, often more. With quite a few needing to be re submitted because they never got through. (Not sure if the problem was on his end or ours, but we were never able to figure out the issue)

He loved it, but we're not using it this year, because of the lag.

• Like 2

For physics, we often got grading in two days or less for homework. Tests sometimes took a little longer. If you submit questions to the right email address, you could get next-day answers. Just make sure you get the correct email address & don't use the same one you use for other things like homework.

• Like 1

This past year started out very quickly for my Ds, but by mid year grading was taking at least 3 days, often more. With quite a few needing to be re submitted because they never got through. (Not sure if the problem was on his end or ours, but we were never able to figure out the issue)

He loved it, but we're not using it this year, because of the lag.

A couple of chapters to go to complete Alg.2.  We will not take DO pre-calc for these reasons.  Will probably return to TW. 

• Like 1

A couple of chapters to go to complete Alg.2. We will not take DO pre-calc for these reasons. Will probably return to TW.

Have you considered the self-grading option? I used it for algebra 2 and pre-calculus and that went very smoothly. The only reason I switched to the grading option was because I wanted my dd to feel free to ask for additional help if she needed it. I'm thinking of switching back to self-grading, though, because I actually doubt she ever will ask any questions. She's a bit shy and would prefer to figure things out for herself, even if it takes longer, than ask someone else.

• Like 1

We just finished Geometry and it took 1-2 days. His service and response time were excellent in our experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This really makes me wonder if tech issues are the problem here. I wonder if we could resolve those by faxing instead of scanning? I may check and see if that is an option. Derek has always struck me as both kind and conscientious, so I imagine my dd's work simply hasn't been received.

• Like 1

What is TW?

Thinkwell.com.  the new 7th grader did pre-alg, alg., and geometry with TW. Video based instruction. online. homework, practice test, and practice retests.  Thought I would give the kid a break and try a new class.  Actually liked DO because  the hand grading makes it easy to spot the errors.  TW is instantly auto graded.    TW pre-calc is interesting because it is their complete alg 2 class, followed by their complete trig class. 2 for 1 as they describe it.  I'm leaning this way, because I am uncertain whether my allowing him to keep progressing without having reviewed his graded work caused gaps.

another option we are considering is an EdX class that uses ALEX for practice and tests.  We used AlEX whenever we need to review for standardized test.   A lot of universities use ALEX for extra practice, and placement.  EdX is free, ALEX something like $15/month

TW is roughly $125/yr.  But regularly on 1/2 price sale at Homeschoolbuyerscoop.   Just missed the last sale.  But it happens every couple of months.  I' ve only purchased through the hsbc discount.

Both TW and Alex have demos.

Have you considered the self-grading option? I used it for algebra 2 and pre-calculus and that went very smoothly. The only reason I switched to the grading option was because I wanted my dd to feel free to ask for additional help if she needed it. I'm thinking of switching back to self-grading, though, because I actually doubt she ever will ask any questions. She's a bit shy and would prefer to figure things out for herself, even if it takes longer, than ask someone else.

Not an option for us. It's after schooling for him, and after working for me. No, time or interest.

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 1

Maybe Mr. Owens is the alg2 grader, and somebody else handling the other classes.  Because submitted work almost 2 weeks ago. After a couple of inquiries, received message from Mr. Owen yesterday stating that he was behind but will be sending back the work soon.

• Like 2

Not an option for us. It's after schooling for him, and after working for me. No, time or interest.

Oh, I see. Well, I have heard positive things about TW Calculus. I had forgotten about that as an option. Now you've got me tempted to look at that again, lol.

I originally had my dd in the PAHS calculus class, but decided I wanted her to have more flexibility with her schedule this year, so we decided to do DO, but maybe TW would be a fun change.

My son has been using TT precalculus this summer for review and it's felt so quick and easy, but with such good explanations, it sometimes makes me feel we've taken a more difficult path than we needed to.

Off to look at TW!

• Like 2

Maybe Mr. Owens is the alg2 grader, and somebody else handling the other classes.  Because submitted work almost 2 weeks ago. After a couple of inquiries, received message from Mr. Owen yesterday stating that he was behind but will be sending back the work soon.

Now it is several days more and still waiting. will not take any classes with DO>

I think it depends on the grader.  I have currently 3 kids in two different classes and response times are very different. Geometry takes the longest and has the most "not received" assignments.  My daughter's Algebra1 is usually returned quickly, my youngest son's slower.  Sometimes my daughter's and my son's assignment are mixed up and my daughter has had a couple of incorrectly graded assignments.  When I e-mailed Derek, it was fixed the next day.