Menu

College interviews in our area for a junior?

catz

This is my first question here and sorry if it is stupid, we are brand new to this process.  This is my oldest kid.  I have an rising junior.  He is starting dual enroll this fall at a CC part time doing a couple general eds.  He is a music kid.  He did a workshop this summer that pushed him suddenly from "I don't even want to talk about college" to "I absolutely NEED to do music in college".    This coincided with us casually doing some local college tours this summer.

There is a college in a neighboring state that sounds really like it could be an amazing fit for him on paper and for our parental sensibilities if we could make the $$$ piece work.  It's a conservatory program and a strong LAC.  He could double major and the program has a ton of flexibility from the look of it.  He may be in a position for decent merit aid depending on how the ACT goes for him in the spring (he already had ACT scores at the top end of this school's middle 50% as a sophomore). 

So he gets an e-mail today from this college saying they will be in our area in a few weeks doing casual QA style interviews at a coffee shop and he can sign up for a time slot.  I think this could be really great for him because he has a lot of questions about following a less than conventional music road. 

Do you think they would be open to meeting with a junior for something like this?  If we're on the mailing list does this mean it's probably ok?  I think they got our info through Cappex. Would it be out of line for me as a parent to e-mail and ask?  Since auditions are required for these music schools, I just feel like it might be better to be proactive about learning about these programs as much as possible this year to see what might be a good fit.  And as a parent, I already have a love and bias for this program I have to admit. 

This is not a JAWM.  ;)

This is my first question here and sorry if it is stupid, we are brand new to this process.  This is my oldest kid.  I have an rising junior.  He is starting dual enroll this fall at a CC part time doing a couple general eds.  He is a music kid.  He did a workshop this summer that pushed him suddenly from "I don't even want to talk about college" to "I absolutely NEED to do music in college".    This coincided with us casually doing some local college tours this summer.

There is a college in a neighboring state that sounds really like it could be an amazing fit for him on paper and for our parental sensibilities if we could make the $$$ piece work.  It's a conservatory program and a strong LAC.  He could double major and the program has a ton of flexibility from the look of it.  He may be in a position for decent merit aid depending on how the ACT goes for him in the spring (he already had ACT scores at the top end of this school's middle 50% as a sophomore). 

So he gets an e-mail today from this college saying they will be in our area in a few weeks doing casual QA style interviews at a coffee shop and he can sign up for a time slot.  I think this could be really great for him because he has a lot of questions about following a less than conventional music road. 

Do you think they would be open to meeting with a junior for something like this?  If we're on the mailing list does this mean it's probably ok?  I think they got our info through Cappex. Would it be out of line for me as a parent to e-mail and ask?  Since auditions are required for these music schools, I just feel like it might be better to be proactive about learning about these programs as much as possible this year to see what might be a good fit.  And as a parent, I already have a love and bias for this program I have to admit. 

This is not a JAWM.  ;)

I think if the school sent him an email offering a meeting, then they are willing to meet with him.  

If he has a question about the interview, I think the email should come from him, not you.  

I do think that there are guidance counselor type questions that are appropriate for a homeschool parent to ask.  These are things like what documentation would they like to see in support of an application, or how does a mix of one year and semester courses get entered in their admissions portal.  

I think financial questions are also often in the parents' realm.  

• Like 5

Thanks so much!  Glancing at the e-mail again, it is very specific to him - it has his name, his major interests, and it pinpoints our location.  The coffee shop is like 2 miles from home for us!  So they must have his graduation year on file as well, that is part of his Cappex profile.  Perhaps it's karma that he goes to talk to these people.  ;) 

Now to convince him this would be a good idea.  LOL.  The more I learn about this particular program and school, the more I think it was made for him.

• Like 1

I think it will be ok but if you can swing it, try and get him to practice with someone first before going. It's good to practice if the school is one that he really likes.

I know a bunch more about this program than him so we will definitely be doing a debrief and some discussing ahead of time.  I already talked to him about it and I think he's game!  This is a program where you can have high scores and do the right things and still not get in so I definitely would like it if he at least made a decent impression.  He's a very strong music kid so I think he's ok on that end.   He has studied piano for 11 years and voice for 4 years.

All the best to him. He sounds like an awesome student.

Aww ... thank you!  He's a pretty good student but definitely has some maturing to do yet.  I think this should be a good opportunity and experience for him.  :) 

I dug around on the website and it did say interview times were prioritized for juniors, seniors, and potential transfer students.  So he is signed up and good to go for an interview late this month.  :party:

• Like 3