Menu

Grammar for 8th Grade

Good afternoon!  This is my first post here...I have been reading the forums for quite a while now, and am glad to be able to post as part of the community. 

We brought our children home to learn as 8th and 5th graders.  I ordered Christian Light Education's Language Arts for both of my children, as I was impressed with how in-depth the curriculum is.  Unfortunately, my 8th grader is having a very hard time with it.  He received some grammar instruction in the charter school he attended, but nothing that could prepare him for what he is encountering in CLE's program.  He is feeling quite overwhelmed and is starting to get discouraged, and we're not even done with 801 yet.  I'm having similar problems with my 5th grader as well. 

At this point, I am not sure whether I should go back a few grades or just find a new program.  I want to make sure that our homeschooling experience starts off with feelings of confidence and achievement, not frustration and resignation.  Does anyone have any ideas for how to introduce an 8th grader to a grammar program when he hasn't received any formal grammar instruction in three years? 

Thanks so much for any advice or input you might be able to offer.  

I am not familiar with CLE but we've had very good luck with Analytical Grammar in the middle school grades. We started homeschooling when my oldest was in 8th grade too and he did the whole program in 1 year, however he had had some grammar instruction in public school and was/is a very motivated student. My other kids have done the program as written over 3 years and it's been great! Highly recommend

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

CLE's grammar is definitely more thorough than most schools. Their 8th grade will cover all grammar I think. So it doesn't surprise me at all that your kids are struggling. I would stop the program while you decide. Tell them they are placed incorrectly, and these light units are meant to be levels more than grades. Do the online placement test and decide whether you want to start the kids at whatever levels they place. If you want in depth grammar, select this or Rod and Staff or Analytical Grammar or similar. If you don't want this level of depth, there are other options.

I would agree also that CLE's grammar is in-depth. Not only that, but having used it for a while in the past, I would also that is very spiral based- each grade builds on what previous grades have been taught. Did you try the placement test to see where your 8th grader would place?

This year, I am using Daily Grams and Fix It! Grammar for my 8th grader. She's a terrific writer and above-average reader, but really struggles with remembering parts of speech and usage.

For my son we graduated last year, we had used Rod & Staff for many years and loved it. He did great with it. I would start that series with book 5. I always had him read the lesson, then we would do one class exercise together orally, or I would have him do it on paper, then one written exercise each day. I never assigned all the exercises.

I always recommend checking Cathy Duffy's website for her reviews for curriculum before I make the decision to purchase. www.cathyduffyreviews.com