Menu

Increasing Student Loan Amount?

PuddleJumper1

Due to situations beyond our control we can not get a PLUS loan at the present time. I see that dd can increase her student loan if parents don't qualify for PLUS (she needs a very small increase). I can not find out where to request that increase. My google skills are getting me nowhere except the chart that says she can get an increase. No link or info on how. Does anyone know where we need to go to request the increase? 

Due to situations beyond our control we can not get a PLUS loan at the present time. I see that dd can increase her student loan if parents don't qualify for PLUS (she needs a very small increase). I can not find out where to request that increase. My google skills are getting me nowhere except the chart that says she can get an increase. No link or info on how. Does anyone know where we need to go to request the increase? 

The financial aid office at her school is where you need to do it.  We were in that situation once and the school was incredibly helpful.  Best wishes to you.

ps  It can all be done electronically.  You don't have to travel there.  You might have to mail something - I can't recall if they needed a real sig or if an electronic one sufficed - or even if they needed one from us.  It was a fair number of years back, but I don't think the system has changed.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

First you must apply for the PLUS loan and be denied, then with denial in hand you contact your school.

Since the credit check is pretty basic (a serious blemish like bankruptcy in the last 5 years, a less-serious collection event in the last 90 days, no check for ability to repay), you could "accidentally" qualify.