Menu

French audiobooks

sadiepol

Can anyone recommend any French audiobooks, or favourite readers?

I'm looking for children's books (translated are fine) read not too quickly, with not too thick an accent. I suppose I mean not too regional.

I am adding some extra read-along time to build fluency this year.

Gallimard-jeunesse.fr has a good list of audio books then. Roald Dahl, the Petit Nicholas books, Harry Potter, Treasure Island, Pinocchio, etc.

Actually, scratch Harry Potter because Bernard Giraudeau did full voices for every character, which sometimes goes really fast. The others, you can listen to audio samples and see what you like.

• Like 2

Gallimard-jeunesse.fr has a good list of audio books then. Roald Dahl, the Petit Nicholas books, Harry Potter, Treasure Island, Pinocchio, etc.

Actually, scratch Harry Potter because Bernard Giraudeau did full voices for every character, which sometimes goes really fast. The others, you can listen to audio samples and see what you like.

Are these only available on CD (like this http://www.gallimard-jeunesse.fr/Catalogue/GALLIMARD-JEUNESSE/Ecoutez-lire/Le-professeur-a-disparu )?

I'd love to have something like audible for French.

• Like 1

Are these only available on CD (like this http://www.gallimard-jeunesse.fr/Catalogue/GALLIMARD-JEUNESSE/Ecoutez-lire/Le-professeur-a-disparu )?

I'd love to have something like audible for French.

Well of course there IS audible in French :) You can make an audible.fr account and some amount of French content is available on US audible if that is where you are.

I've never used it but a quick search showed audioteka.com as a possible alternative, but it looks wildly expensive.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well of course there IS audible in French :) You can make an audible.fr account and some amount of French content is available on US audible if that is where you are.

We do this with German. One perk is that when you're listening to a particularly tricky book (my 7 yo started listening to the translated Warrior cats books in German, and it was just a bit above his level, even though he can read them just fine in English), you can just slow it down (there are options for .75, 1, 1.25, etc. speed,  so we just used .75 speed)

• Like 1

Librivox has a number if free audiobooks. I got some nice fairytales read not too fast in plain French there. I agree with avoiding Harry Potter. I just gave up on it once again. Sigh. I wish someone would read it without doing the voices. I actually got on this morning to ask about that.

Nan

If you were able to find any read by a native speaker I'd be interested in the reader/titles. I did not have success with that.

• 1 month later...