Menu

Picture from the WTM meetup

Garga

24294034918_d6edfec932_z.jpg

UPDATE:

Xixstar left before we did the picture and Junie declined being posted online in a picture.  

​Here are the rest of us from left to right:

Garga, School17777, Creekland, Penguin, Quill, Happypamama

(It took me 3000 years to figure out how to get this picture in here!  Sheesh!!!!)

--------------------------

It's time for the 4th WTM Meet Up in the south-central Pennsylvania area. 

WE WILL MEET THURSDAY, NOV 2ND

Date: NOVEMBER 2nd, 2017

Location: Bethel Assembly of God Church, 1125 Frederick Pike, Littlestown PA, 17340. Enter through the door that has a ramp.

Church: It's held in a church, but this is not a church event. We're simply using the facility.

Time: Officially from noon until 4, but I'll be there from a little bit after 11 until 5 to set up some tables and clean up afterwards. Everyone is welcome to come anytime between 11:15ish and 5.

Who: Anyone who wants to come, including spouses and kids. We usually get a good mix of ages for the kids at these events.

What will the kids do: This is in the church's gym. The gym has lots of sporting equipment (hula hoops, balls, jump ropes, etc), and down a hall there is a kid's play area like the ones in McDonalds.

Play area: You have to be under 12, an adult has to supervise (we do that as a group after we eat lunch so that no one is left alone with the kids) and you have to wear socks. Last time I checked, there are a bunch of socks there if you forget yours.

What will the adults do: Eat the food, talk to the WTMers. :) So far from the feedback afterwards, no one has felt excluded or ignored.

Food: We start off by eating lunch. Bring food for your own lunch and eat there or eat on the road. I tend to bring McDonald's food for my crew. If you want to bring something to share, that's always welcome, but not required. The gym has a kitchen in the back and you are free to use the fridge, microwave, stove/oven, and outlets in the kitchen. We like to keep the food part uncomplicated, so do what works for you.

Cost: Free

Dress: Casual!

Picture: We often take a group picture of the WTMers (not the kids) and post it in a thread. No one is obligated to be in the picture and won't be pressured.

Edited by Garga_
  • Like 36

MomsintheGarden is working full time starting Monday, so I'm not sure if we will be able to make it.  If we can work it out, we'll have to come up with something clever to make in our new Maxi Instant Pot.

Perhaps we can have an Instant Pot-off! :thumbup:

Oh no!

• Like 3

I'm busy  trying to get ready for our fam. vacation (that's why I'm here  :001_tt2: ).  I will check my calendar when I have more time.  After I wrote my response on the other thread I remembered that I will have a class on Tues/Thurs. starting in Sept.   I think there's some time in Oct. when the school is off for mid-term break, so I'll look into that, as well as anything else going on.

Glad you guys are organizing this.  

• Like 3

As soon as I grab my calendar, I will vote. Thanks for planning this!

I'll have to get home to see what's penned in on our calendar... then, of course, hope health issues from family don't get in the way as those months approach.  I go month to month now, so only August - Labor Day is on my mental calendar.

I'm busy  trying to get ready for our fam. vacation (that's why I'm here  :001_tt2: ).  I will check my calendar when I have more time.  After I wrote my response on the other thread I remembered that I will have a class on Tues/Thurs. starting in Sept.   I think there's some time in Oct. when the school is off for mid-term break, so I'll look into that, as well as anything else going on.

I just realized that the dates that the church is available may change if someone schedules something at the church before we pick a date.  We don't have as much time as I'd imagined we had for people to vote.  So, for those of you above who were waiting to check your calendars, this is a little reminder to vote if you haven't already--I didn't check the poll for names.

With all this mind, I'm going to start bumping this thread a couple of times a day for the next week so that anyone in the area who is interested has a chance to see it.  It feels obnoxious to bump a thread so much, but I think in this situation it's acceptable to do so since we can't know how often or when people come online to read the forums.    

• Like 6

I just put in a couple of dates I know I can't make in Oct and listed the rest as fine.  I honestly don't know until it's closer if they will be or not.  Too much is variable this year.  Once you choose a date I'll add it to my calendar and hope for the best though.  If one of the two I can't make is the most popular, feel free to schedule it then.  I'm ok understanding the circumstances.

• Like 2

I just realized that the dates that the church is available may change if someone schedules something at the church before we pick a date. We don't have as much time as I'd imagined we had for people to vote. So, for those of you above who were waiting to check your calendars, this is a little reminder to vote if you haven't already--I didn't check the poll for names.

With all this mind, I'm going to start bumping this thread a couple of times a day for the next week so that anyone in the area who is interested has a chance to see it. It feels obnoxious to bump a thread so much, but I think in this situation it's acceptable to do so since we can't know how often or when people come online to read the forums.

I voted yesterday!

• Like 1

MomsintheGarden is working full time starting Monday, so I'm not sure if we will be able to make it.  If we can work it out, we'll have to come up with something clever to make in our new Maxi Instant Pot.

I could rise to that challenge. :) 

• Like 1

So glad you mentioned that -- I forgot I'm teaching on Tuesday's this fall. Guess I'll update my votes. :)

Hi Garga.  Thanks for organizing this!  Since MomsintheGarden just started a new job, we cannot determine when she would be able to come.  As such, I've answered the poll as having all dates open.

We'll look forward to seeing which date you select.  If MomsintheGarden cannot make it then perhaps I will come alone as a genuine "creepy old man-troll".

• Like 1

Hopefully we can make it this year.

I can't vote because I need an option for if all the dates that month work

also can't vote. Only one day doesn't work for me (at this point) but it wants me to select one for each month.

As soon as I grab my calendar, I will vote. Thanks for planning this!

Ok--I have the date. There were 4 dates where only one person could not come (11/2, 11/9, 11/14, 11/16.)   I decided to simply choose the first date that everyone said they could come and that's November 2nd.  

I will update the first post with the date information.  All of the information everyone needs should already be on that post.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

So exciting! I can't generally do any Friday and voted accordingly.

I'll have to get home to see what's penned in on our calendar... then, of course, hope health issues from family don't get in the way as those months approach.  I go month to month now, so only August - Labor Day is on my mental calendar.

Thank you for including me in this invite! I am literally waiting in an airport, about to fly to Dublin for our 25th anniversary trip. I will look at the dates and respond when I am back in the USA!

Wahoo!  I hope we can attend!

Ok--I have the date. There were 4 dates where only one person could not come (11/2, 11/9, 11/14, 11/16.)   I decided to simply choose the first date that everyone said they could come and that's November 2nd.  

I will update the first post with the date information.  All of the information everyone needs should already be on that post.

(Have to post a few times, as there seems to be a limit on the number of people I can quote, but it won't tell me the limit....so I am quoting 5 at a time.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

:lurk5:                   If you can do Friday after Thanksgiving Day, I can come............... :leaving:  :tongue_smilie:

I voted because I've always wanted to come to this but I'm not sure if I can even on the dates I said I could. 

I will vote next week on Monday or Tuesday. By then, I will have my October pretty much lined up. I'm pretty flexible, though and will keep my fingers crossed that I can make it!

We might be able to come in October or November, but not on Wednesdays. I will need to see how my job goes. Thanks for the poll!

(Have to post a few times, as there seems to be a limit on the number of people I can quote, but it won't tell me the limit....so I am quoting 5 at a time.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Do you need to know who is coming by a certain time or can we just kind of mozy in if the schedule works out?

I'm not Garga, but by all means, mosey in if it works out.  I can't think of anyone on the Hive I wouldn't want to meet, so you can always tell anyone who asks that Creekland gave you permission.   :lol:

I'm writing it in on my calendar and hoping it works out for me to be there.  Currently I have nothing else scheduled... but medical issues (my mom's) don't always look at the calendar before acting up (sigh).

• Like 2

Do you need to know who is coming by a certain time or can we just kind of mozy in if the schedule works out?

Nah, we don't need to know.  I give the church a ballpark figure of how many people are there so they have a general idea of the number of people on the grounds--they like to know if there are 4 people, 40 people, or 400.  A few over or under doesn't make any difference to them. 

A number of people enjoy bringing food to share, but as far as I know, no one needs to know a count of attendees.  People make whatever amount they feel like making and when it's gone, it's gone.  :)   

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

Hi Garga.  Thanks for organizing this!  Since MomsintheGarden just started a new job, we cannot determine when she would be able to come.  As such, I've answered the poll as having all dates open.

We'll look forward to seeing which date you select.  If MomsintheGarden cannot make it then perhaps I will come alone as a genuine "creepy old man-troll".

Hey, if I've learned nothing else from the hive, I've learned to be more accepting and inclusive of all kinds of people.  Creepy old man-trolls are now happily welcome at all WTM meet ups!

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

Thanks, Garga (and Creekland?) for organizing this!

If you don't want the "creepy old man-troll" showing up alone, please encourage MomsintheGarden to take vacation that day.

P.S. I think I'll bring the Instant Pot and a long extension cord and demonstrate to the children how to make a REAL volcano for the science fair! :w00t:

• Like 3

Hey, if I've learned nothing else from the hive, I've learned to be more accepting and inclusive of all kinds of people.  Creepy old man-trolls are now happily welcome at all WTM meet ups!

I told hubby he could come if he wanted to...  :coolgleamA:  (no pressure on him though)

• Like 3

If you don't want the "creepy old man-troll" showing up alone, please encourage MomsintheGarden to take vacation that day.

P.S. I think I'll bring the Instant Pot and a long extension cord and demonstrate to the children how to make a REAL volcano for the science fair! :w00t:

We'd love both of you to be there!  If MomsInTheGarden can get off work, that'll be awesome!  

Reg, just don't blow up the church, 'k?  We're still paying off the atrium.  

• Like 3

Not Creekland this time... (sigh).  I've been away from home more than here this year (mostly for parental health issues).  When I'm home I'm mowing our lawn and fields (finding dead fish  :glare:) and pretending to keep house by vacuuming, etc.  I reintroduce myself to our critters.

Just got a piece of good news though... youngest son is coming home today instead of tomorrow!!!  He's done with his summer job.  He wasn't sure which day he'd be able to leave when we made flight arrangements, so we made them for tomorrow.  Then this afternoon he called from the airport wondering what to do... and fortunately Southwest will allow someone to change flights.   :hurray: 

Now I'm wondering why "I" did all those chores when help is coming... :lol:  

Gotta go get his sheets in the dryer... middle son just left this time last week and we didn't get home until recently.

• Like 3

My son attends a single class at a local tutorial (Fairfield PA--somewhat near Frederick MD).  He takes Spanish.  School starts on Sept 11th.  All the others kids take classes there all day on Monday and Friday.

Unfortunately, the Spanish teacher, through events out of her control, had to resign effective today.  So, now we're looking for a new teacher.  Since the people reading this thread are somewhat local, I was wondering if any of you know of someone nearby who would be interested in teaching three Spanish classes on Mon and Wed afternoons?  Highschool Spanish I, II, and III.  It's a paid position with serious students.  The classes are for high school credit.

(Is this something appropriate to post as a new thread?)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

My son attends a single class at a local tutorial (Fairfield PA--somewhat near Frederick MD). He takes Spanish. School starts on Sept 11th. All the others kids take classes there all day on Monday and Friday.

Unfortunately, the Spanish teacher, through events out of her control, had to resign effective today. So, now we're looking for a new teacher. Since the people reading this thread are somewhat local, I was wondering if any of you know of someone nearby who would be interested in teaching three Spanish classes on Mon and Wed afternoons? Highschool Spanish I, II, and III. It's a paid position with serious students. The classes are for high school credit.

(Is this something appropriate to post as a new thread?)

Man, that is tough. I know it is always difficult to fill our co-op's high school tutorial classes with teachers, too. As far as I recall, we have never been successful at getting a solid Spanish teacher. The few who have been on the line have fallen through every time.

Man, that is tough. I know it is always difficult to fill our co-op's high school tutorial classes with teachers, too. As far as I recall, we have never been successful at getting a solid Spanish teacher. The few who have been on the line have fallen through every time.

She was a great teacher, too! A retired public school Spanish teacher who liked getting out of the house a couple of afternoons a week. Her husband is having a serious medical issue and they're stuck at the hospital for 4 hours a day, and soon it might bump up to 8. No way she can teach.

I have no idea what the tutorial will do. We're all scrambling to look for leads right now. All the other kids are full-time at the tutorial. My son is the only kid who goes just for that one class. A lot of the parents teach the other classes, but I think it'll be almost impossible to teach a foreign language if you don't speak it at all. I have no idea what the backup plan is. They might say, "Ok, the Spanish time slot is now a study hall, and you're all on your own finding a way to teach your kids Spanish." I'm wondering if I should start researching other options for teaching Spanish. I haven't done a lick of figuring out how to teach Spanish other than this class.

I'll have to start from the ground up figuring out how to teach a Spanish class. I wonder if all the online classes are already full, because I do NOT want to try to teach it on my own. :(